[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How the hell do I get breading to stick to my chicken?

Skippy

I just don't get it. When we eat out and my child gets chicken strips the breading sticks to the chicken like it was skin. At home when I roll the chicken around in some egg and then roll it in the breadcrumbs, it is fine and dandy but the breading breaks away from the chicken very easily.

Now I never really gave a rats ass about this "problem", but my child has pointed it out to me a few times recently and what can I say other than she is right.

What gives? What is the secret to making the breading stick to the chicken?

flour, egg, bread crumbs.

also, as twiley is alluding to... need to make sure your pan and fat are hot enough. if the protien is sticking to the pan, you need to wait it out a little before trying to flip it.

also, as twiley is alluding to... need to make sure your pan and fat are hot enough. if the protien is sticking to the pan, you need to wait it out a little before trying to flip it.

I never tried to use flour. Are you suggesting that I coat the chicken with flour, then toss it in the egg, then coat it with bread crumbs in that order? Does it matter if I am coating the chicken and then tossing it right into the oil? I have heard that you should coat the chicken ahead of time and let the chicken sit in the fridge for a few hours. :wacko:

I don't think that the oil temp is the problem as nothing sticks and it seems to be pretty hot when I toss the chicken in there.

Buy pre-breaded chicken strips at costco.

We do but I would really like to be able to get this figured out as we like our homemade much better.

I never tried to use flour. Are you suggesting that I coat the chicken with flour, then toss it in the egg, then coat it with bread crumbs in that order? Does it matter if I am coating the chicken and then tossing it right into the oil? I have heard that you should coat the chicken ahead of time and let the chicken sit in the fridge for a few hours. :wacko:

I don't think that the oil temp is the problem as nothing sticks and it seems to be pretty hot when I toss the chicken in there.

We do but I would really like to be able to get this figured out as we like our homemade much better.

yep... i am saying that doing it in that order will give you better results. there should be no issue with coating and going right in the hot pan. most of the restaurants i've worked in, where dredge in flour..we go right in. when doing dishes that require three stage breading..... when do it before service (so you are fine doing it in advance). at home i bread everything then start searing.

also...for most items i prefer panko to standard bread crumbs...but it depends upon what you are making

That's how the wifee does it and it works like a charm every time.

• 1 month later...

ATK has a good technique for breaded and baked cod fillets:

When making your egg wash, whisk in a few tablespoons of flour. It's almost like a beer batter, but without the beer. The thicker, batter-like wash will make the breadcrumbs stick like crazy.