[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Looking for a team

Haven't really been into the NFL before my first season of FF this past year. But I'm into it now and I'm looking for a team to root in the upcoming season.

First off, I'm in Austin (Cowboys country) so I'm going to pass on them and actually all other NFC East teams. I liked McNabb and the Eagles last year, but I don't want to constantly be rooting against family and friends.

I'd rather pick an up-and-coming team, one headed in the right direction, and doing things the right way:

My top choice at this point is Atlanta, or possibly Green Bay. At one point I was thinking about Tampa, but they seem to have fallen apart.

Your thoughts?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure that is the right way to pick a team. It is supposed to come naturally.

That said, the Bills have been an up and coming team for about 10 years now, so you could be a Bills fan. But it sounds like you wouldnt be a die hard of which ever team you do pick anyway...

Hey CoH nice to see you back around here!

I might ask besides McNabb is there another player you really enjoyed watching? That might be one way to go about picking a team to follow.

The other thing I'd say more supporting what peep said, is that it should come naturally. Just keep watching football every sunday (and thursday and monday) and sooner or later you'll find yourself rooting for one of the teams you've been watching.

WD

so yer looking to jump on a bandwagon? what happens if that wagon derails? are you jumping ship again?

You have to have a ship before you can jump off it. New NFL fan here. But thanks for the judgment.

I'm not going to be die-hard either way. I'll probably have a few preferences this season and narrow it down from there. It sounds like that's what most of you are saying...

Edited by Company of Heroes

Hey CoH nice to see you back around here!

I might ask besides McNabb is there another player you really enjoyed watching? That might be one way to go about picking a team to follow.

WD

Thanks, WD.

Yeah, I've kinda done some of that this last year. I like Ryan & Turner, Jennings & Rodgers, A. Bryant (some were players that came thru for me). But also like CAR, TEN, & JAX to a lesser extent.

I think you're really going to have to watch a bunch of games this year and see which one grabs you. I live in Canada, so I had to pick an NFL team rather than root for the home team. And it was Brett Favre that got me to become a Packer fan, since he was only in his first year with the team when I started watching football.

I think you find a player or two that you really like, and then become a fan of that team if you aren't rooting for your home-town team. I don't think you can just look at rosters or for an up-and-coming team and pick one that way.

I'm also a closet Bengal fan because Ickey Woods was my favortie player to watch the first year I got into the NFL.

Like Calvin Johnson & even Kevin Smith .... but not THAT much.

Well, you have to be willing to ride the bumps of a team. Yeah Detroit has sucked for a long time, but even they will make it to the playoffs some day. They also will be fun to watch at some point. Otherwise just be a typical Pats fan and ride the wave of Belicheck.

I could see picking a team like the Falcons with a young solid QB like Ryan to root for.

The Texans seem like a good choice too because at least they are somewhat local to you.

I'm not sure what I'll do if the Vikings don't get a new stadium deal and leave in a few years. Follow them in their new state or pick another team. Would be a hard thing to decide, but that's another topic.

favoite color: Black/Red --> Atlanta, Tampa

City: eh, Boston, Philly, St.Paul MN,

Mascot: Falcons, Titans, Eagles

Helmet? Cards, Eagles, Falcons, Bucs

Stilling leaning Falcons for these and reasons stated earlier

I guess you'll just never be a TRUE fan of anyone. That said, flip a coin. Its about the same as going by color, mascots, or helmets anyway. :wacko:

The Texans seem like a good choice too because at least they are somewhat local to you.

I've considered that. Got family in Houston but not a big fan of the city itself and being a Spurs fan makes me hesitant. Could be heading in the right direction though after being mediocre for several years...

I'm not sure what I'll do if the Vikings don't get a new stadium deal and leave in a few years. Follow them in their new state or pick another team. Would be a hard thing to decide, but that's another topic.

I've got some MN ties as well but since I kinda like Green Bay as well it'd be hard to jump into that rivalry.

Exactly what I was thinking.

favoite color: Black/Red --> Atlanta, Tampa

See, the Texans fit here as well. Or do you want our opinions on who will be a playoff team, otherwise you don't care to root for them. Atlanta does fit all your criteria and I think they'll be a force for years to come. It would be fun though to ride the Texans when they finally kick some Colts and Titans ass. But I guess you'll wait till that time comes.

Thanks for the responses... I've enjoyed them all...

If I go by players I like: it probably is Atlanta, Green Bay, or Eagles

If I go with tangibles (colors, mascots, etc) probably Atlanta over Green Bay or Tampa

If I go with my gut: probably Green Bay over Atlanta.

I'll probably follow both this season and see where it takes me...