[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Torry Holt

sspun13

He seems super under-valued to me, the guy had one bad year on a team that was decimated by injuries and played horribly on all sides of the ball. I only watched a couple St Louis games last year and I couldn't really pass judgement on Holt because the ball rarely went his way, or Bulger was busy getting sacked with their horrible Oline.

Don't get me wrong I don't think he's worth a round 2-3 pick like he used to be, the guy is 32 years old, but a round 8 or 9? I see him more of a round 5/6 depending how the draft goes.

He had 90+ catches from 2002-2007 up until last years huge drop off, which definitely catches my interest considering I'm in a PPR league. Anyone here that watched him play that has any opinions?

Edited by sspun13

There are two sides to Holt. First he is going to the Jaguars who have not produced a wideout with more than 761 yards or 4 TDs in a season since Garrard took over. That's three years now. So maybe that says there is a huge need for a stud WR to come in or maybe that says that the system is not desinged to create a stud WR with Garrard at the helm.

Holt certainly fell on hard times last year adn sucked every week. But even in 2007, he only had three games over 100 yards and plenty of mediocre showings. His knees have been an issue for two years now and regardless of what he may say, you cannot rely on him being much more than a mediocre WR with declining skills and bad knees until he proves otherwise.

Couple who he has become with where he is going and there is no reason to get too excited about him this season.

Interesting, I was comparing my top 100 players with some other top 100 mocks that I saw and Holt was the only real guy that stood out, I had him as my 70th best player which was 40 spots in front of some other lists that I saw. Guess I'm real high on him this year than most people, I'll have to drop him down my list to get better value.

There are two sides to Holt. First he is going to the Jaguars who have not produced a wideout with more than 761 yards or 4 TDs in a season since Garrard took over. That's three years now. So maybe that says there is a huge need for a stud WR to come in or maybe that says that the system is not desinged to create a stud WR with Garrard at the helm.

Holt certainly fell on hard times last year adn sucked every week. But even in 2007, he only had three games over 100 yards and plenty of mediocre showings. His knees have been an issue for two years now and regardless of what he may say, you cannot rely on him being much more than a mediocre WR with declining skills and bad knees until he proves otherwise.

Couple who he has become with where he is going and there is no reason to get too excited about him this season.

Yet another example showing that DMD is, if not the best in the biz, easily on the short list.

Mid-rounds sounds about right for Holt, and even then I won't be looking his way.

Torry is a competitor. He is the type of guy that could really be re-energized by leaviing St. Louis, especially if the Jags are decent. Maybe he'll get something going with Garrard. If Garrard falls in love with him early, there are certainly opportunities for looks. Without Taylor, I can see the Jags coaching staff at least trying to open up the field a bit. I know he's getting older and the knees are breaking down, but I can see myself taking him around the 7th. While he very well could disappoint, I think his ceiling is still pretty high. The upside here is that he is Torry Holt.

I dont think that Torry will every be a #1 WR anymore and his upside is now capped at a #2 WR for me. The way I'm looking at Torry this upcoming draft is that I would draft him as a low #3 WR. If he has a couple of good games within the first 5 games then I'm giong to use him as trade bait while his stock is high.

His knee condition, degenerative knee condition, or Osteoarthritis, will never get better and the more he plays the worse it gets until he will need a knee replacement. I can tell you this from personal experience. I had all the cartilege scrapped from my right knee by the time I was in my early 20s and even had experimental surgery by Dr. Steadman in 1984. (Dr. Steadman developed the microfracture sugery). I clearly remember him telling me back then that the I should not play any sports that have high impact on my knees ever again, otherwise I will ruin my knees. I was 17 at the time and thats all I did was play sports. I continued to play sports. I dont claim to be a professional sports player but I can tell you from experience that my knees have been degenerating since the cartilage was scrapped away. While I have never played organized sports at the professional level, sports used to be a very large portion of my life. I was either Skiing, playing sand volleyball, football, soccar, basketball several times a week. In my early 20s my knees would hurt pretty good after playing sports but they would feel fine within a day or so, then in my late 20s my knees hurt for 2 to 3 days, then by my mid 30s my knees hurt real bad for 5 to 7 days. Now, they ache all the time. This is a no win situation for Torry. There is no doubt that he is a great WR with great hands, great route running abilities, and very smart, however his knees will never get better and only worse.

Torry is a competitor. He is the type of guy that could really be re-energized by leaviing St. Louis, especially if the Jags are decent. Maybe he'll get something going with Garrard. If Garrard falls in love with him early, there are certainly opportunities for looks. Without Taylor, I can see the Jags coaching staff at least trying to open up the field a bit. I know he's getting older and the knees are breaking down, but I can see myself taking him around the 7th. While he very well could disappoint, I think his ceiling is still pretty high. The upside here is that he is Torry Holt.

Not saying you're wrong, but true competitors don't have the need to be "re-energized" by moving to a decent team, as opposed to a bad one. Maybe it's just the way you worded it, but your statement gives the impression that Holt wasn't giving 100% for the Rams, and that he might once again give 100% if the Jags turn out to be decent this year. From everything I've seen from Holt, I don't think that's the case. If he's got a bum knee, he's got a bum knee, and all of the motivation in the world isn't going to change that fact.

Personally, I'd take a chance on him in the mid/late rounds of a draft where he's my 4th or 5th WR, but I certainly wouldn't be in love with the idea of having to start him every week.

Not saying you're wrong, but true competitors don't have the need to be "re-energized" by moving to a decent team, as opposed to a bad one. Maybe it's just the way you worded it, but your statement gives the impression that Holt wasn't giving 100% for the Rams, and that he might once again give 100% if the Jags turn out to be decent this year. From everything I've seen from Holt, I don't think that's the case. If he's got a bum knee, he's got a bum knee, and all of the motivation in the world isn't going to change that fact.

Personally, I'd take a chance on him in the mid/late rounds of a draft where he's my 4th or 5th WR, but I certainly wouldn't be in love with the idea of having to start him every week.

I just meant it as kind of a natural reaction. If you have a really crappy job working with people you don't like, for a business you don't believe in, a good employee would stlll show up on time every day and do their job. If you then find a new job working with people you like, for a business you believe in, not only would you be more likely to go above and beyond what is asked, every part of every day you will be filled with more natural positive energy. Maybe the knee doesn't hurt quite so much. Great players rise when it matters. It hasn't mattered in Saint Louis in quite some time now.

The other frustrating thing about Torry for many years here in St. Louis is that there is virtually no chance for YAC. He is extremely talented, used to be very fast, but he is absolutely terrified of contact. If given the choice, he will ALWAYS dive to the turf, go out of bounds untouched, or otherwise make sure he does not get hit.

This does not bode well IMO for a guy who is destined to probably play the slot in Jacksonville. That usually means going over the middle (yikes) and getting hit once in a while. Good luck with that. Middle rounds sounds about right to me. :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...

Does not bode well for Torry. I just dont see him making an impact this year. I'n downgrading him to a WR#4.

From KFFL

"Jaguars | Holt gets day off Tuesday

Tue, 09 Jun 2009 14:53:39 -0700

Paul Kuharsky, of ESPN.com, reports Jacksonville Jaguars WR Torry Holt (knee) was given the day off from practice Tuesday, June 9, because his knee had a little swelling. "