[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The ribs are on!

Kid Cid

:wacko:

I've made up a new barbeque sauce to try with this batch. Early returns says that it is WAY better than anything I've had before, but I have to wait until I try it with food to give a final report.

BBQ Sauce results are in. It is not a table sauce as it sets up too thick. You actually have to spread it with a knife. However, it would make a fantastic finishing sauce on the grill. It's made with orange and lemon so the citrus flavor really shines through. A very nice compliment to the spicyness of the rub on the ribs.

BBQ Sauce results are in. It is not a table sauce as it sets up too thick. You actually have to spread it with a knife. However, it would make a fantastic finishing sauce on the grill. It's made with orange and lemon so the citrus flavor really shines through. A very nice compliment to the spicyness of the rub on the ribs.

So is this a secret bbq sauce or can you share? :wacko:

So is this a secret bbq sauce or can you share? :wacko:

I'm going to tweak it some more before I'm ready to share. I've posted the recipes to the other sauces I make though. Let me see if I can dig them up for ya.

I will tell you one thing though...it starts with a half pound of bacon diced and fried to crispness.

Edited by Kid Cid

I'm a hugh citrus fan in bbq sauces - please be sure to share when your recipe is ready. :wacko:

I'm going to tweak it some more before I'm ready to share. I've posted the recipes to the other sauces I make though. Let me see if I can dig them up for ya.

I will tell you one thing though...it starts with a half pound of bacon diced and fried to crispness.

Bacon and citrus. Nuff said.

OK, I've changed my mind. It'll be another six months before I get around to using this up and need to make another batch. I'll toss what I have out there and perhaps all y'all can help work the kinks out. This recipe calls for the cooked bacon plus the addition of butter at the end. I believe that it is either or both of these ingredients that is causing things to thicken too much when cooled. The flavors however are out of this world great.

Just some notes up front. First of all, this is adapted from a barbeque sauce recipe in Chef Paul Prudhomme's Louisiana Kitchen cookbook. Much like anything else, I won't take credit for someone else's work. I've done some minor tweaks here and there (mostly with the techniques) but this is still basically his recipe. Second, this recipe calls for blending. I'm a firm believer in stick blenders as pouring hot liquids into a blender is a good way to get burned. However, if you don't have a stick blender, you can use the traditional method of an upright blender or food processor, just be careful! Finally, don't worry about the bacon or onions sticking, adding the stock and citrus will deglaze the bottom of the pan causing most of it to release. Ok, on to the show.

Ingredients:

1/2 lb sliced bacon

1 1/2 cup chopped onions

2 cups stock (I used chicken but pork or beef will work as well)

12 oz chili sauce (I used Heinz)

1 cup honey

3/4 cup coarsely chopped pecans

1 juice orange

1 lemon

2 tsp minced garlic

1 tsp Tabasco sauce

1/2 stick (4 Tbs) unsalted butter

1 1/2 tsp black pepper

1 tsp sea salt

1 tsp onion powder

1 tsp garlic powder

1/2 tsp white pepper

1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

First comes the prep steps. The more of this you do up front, the better off things will be.

1. Heat oven to 350. Spread the pecans on a cookie sheet and place in the oven for 10 minutes, stiring once half way through.
  2. Combine the dry spices in a bowl and set aside.
  3. Chop the onions and place in a small bowl
  4. Juice the orange and measure out five Tbs into a small bowl. Take 1/2 of the rind, cut into strips (not too small, you'll have to fish them out after) and place in bowl with the juice.
  5. Juice the lemon and measure 2 Tbs into the bowl with the orange juice. Take 1/4 of the rind and cut into strips. Place in bowl with orange and lemon.
  6. Mince the garlic and place into the bowl with the orange and lemon
  7. Dice the bacon. Basically, just cutting each strip into 1/4 to 1/2 ince wide pieces is enough.

In a large sauce pan (4 qt if you plan on blending in the pan) fry the bacon over high heat until crisp. Stir in the onions and cover. Continue cooking until the onions are dark brown, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the dry spices and cook for about a minute. Add the stock, chili sauce, honey, pecans, orange/lemon/garlic mixture and Tabasco. Reduce heat to low, cook for 10 minutes stirring frequently. Remove the orange and lemon rinds (tongs work well here). Continue cooking for another 15 mintes, stirring frequently. Add the butter and stir until melted. Blend until smooth.

• 1 year later...