[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Comcast caves

If what i read below is accurate, no more having to pay $4.95 for an expanded-sports tier just so i can get teh NFL Network....it'll be free, just like most other cable stations.

:wacko:

NFL, Comcast settle NFLN dispute

50 minutes ago

The league and the cable provider announced a long-term agreement Tuesday that will keep the NFL-owned channel out of Comcast’s premium sports tier of programming and ended a lengthy battle between the companies. The pact was announced shortly after the league’s two-day spring meeting formally opened in South Florida.

“Our goal has always been to provide our digital customers with access to the NFL’s unique content and, working together, we have struck the right balance between value and distribution on a variety of viewing platforms,” Comcast CEO Brian Roberts said in a release. “We are looking forward to bringing the NFL’s programming to our customers just in time for the start of the NFL season.”

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said the league was “very pleased” with the deal. Specific terms of deal were not disclosed.

The NFL said Comcast will begin repositioning NFL Network to its digital classic level of service and have a full launch by August 1, and the companies planned to immediately drop pending legal actions before the Federal Communications Commission.

Comcast, the nation’s largest cable company, had said the NFL wanted a 350 percent increase in fees it would pay to carry the network. Those fees are based on numbers of viewers, so Comcast aimed to move the channel from a digital tier with 8.6 million subscribers to a sports package with 2 million subscribers who would pay an additional monthly fee.

The league’s contention was that Comcast was being punitive because it didn’t get rights to show eight live NFL games for its Versus sports channel.

Does it say that it will be free or be offered on the "Digital Classic" Tier? Do I already have that?

Comcast just gave me an internet powerboost free for a year for the inconvenience concerning the problems surrounding NFL Network. So I cancelled the sports package anyway and got the free upgrade for 12 months. First decent thing Comcast has done for me in years!

Also not mentioned in that article is an agreement reached with CBS and Fox that will allow Comcast to carry the Red Zone Channel. I don't think other providers have announced if they will be carrying that channel, but I'd imagine that they would be interested.

Also not mentioned in that article is an agreement reached with CBS and Fox that will allow Comcast to carry the Red Zone Channel. I don't think other providers have announced if they will be carrying that channel, but I'd imagine that they would be interested.

Red Zone Channel?

Was just at lunch, and WIP's sportsbreak mentioned that NFL Network will now be available to millions of more Comcast subscribers. I am assuming this means that it will not be apart of the "Expanded Sports" option (which is an additional $5 per month).

And yes, the Red Zone Channel will be operational this season! :wacko:

On the Doug Gottlieb Show this afternoon one of the talking heads was talking about the deal. They mentioned that Sunday Ticket also could be licensed to cable companies from DirecTV. This was in lieu of any discussion of the Red Zone Channel so I wonder if they were just confusing the two. I can't imagine that DirecTV would spend literally billions to get the exclusive rights, only to sub-license the package to the competition.

I just did alittle google on the Red Zone Channel. I'm not a Direct TV subscriber nor do I have Sunday Ticket but god almighty, that gave me a :wacko:

Yes, it is as cool as it sounds!!

The best part is when you're stuck watching a 6-3 fireworks show between like Denver and Cleveland. By the 3rd quarter all the other games are getting intense so you can basically keep up with all of them instead! It is also perfect if you watch games with guys in your league. It gives everybody a chance to watch their players a littel bit instead of complaining about which game to watch. I wouldn't be surprised if the ratings take away from the network games some.

I can't imagine that DirecTV would spend literally billions to get the exclusive rights, only to sub-license the package to the competition.

Seems like a it would make a lot of sense if you ask me. If they could make some on the deal, why not?

Seems like a it would make a lot of sense if you ask me. If they could make some on the deal, why not?

+1

There are people who won't get direct/dish for various reasons (I'm one). If I could get Sunday ticket or red-zone on my cable I would certainly look at it if the deal were right.

+1

There are people who won't get direct/dish for various reasons (I'm one). If I could get Sunday ticket or red-zone on my cable I would certainly look at it if the deal were right.

I'm right there with ya. I've got too many TVs in the house for the dish to make any sense. But if I could get Sunday Ticket on cable I think I'd be all over it.