[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Irsay and Blank support Vick

WaterMan

Falcons owner: Vick has paid debt to society

By TIM REYNOLDS, AP Sports Writer

4 hours, 50 minutes ago

Arthur Blank won’t bring Michael Vick(notes) back to Atlanta.

That doesn’t mean the Falcons owner wouldn’t want to see the tarnished quarterback get a second NFL chance.

Hours after Vick left a federal penitentiary after serving most of a 23-month sentence for financing a dogfighting ring, Blank—who once gave Vick a $130 million contract—said Wednesday the once-charismatic star is taking positive steps by wanting to work with humane societies and making other changes in his life.

“I believe in second chances,” Blank said shortly before the NFL owners’ meetings ended in South Florida. “I believe in redemption.”

Even for Vick, who was clearly a Blank favorite when he wore No. 7 for Atlanta and not No. 33765-183 in the federal prison system. Blank famously pushed Vick on the field in a wheelchair when the quarterback had a broken leg in 2003, and exchanged letters with the player during Vick’s time in prison.

The working relationship—player and owner—ended with Vick’s betrayal. The personal relationship, somehow, has persevered.

“I have not spoken to him face to face,” Blank said. “I have indicated that I would do anything that I can do on a personal level that would be constructive and productive for Michael and that still hasn’t changed. But we’ve certainly been in communication.”

But Vick won’t be returning to the Falcons as a player.

“We’ve made it clear Michael’s not going to play for us again, as you know,” Blank said. “Right now his salary is being tolled so it has no effect on our cap, beyond the allocation of signing bonus which happens under any circumstances. So we’ll deal with it at the time we think is correct.”

Vick slipped quietly out of the prison in Leavenworth, Kan., after serving 19 months. Accompanied by his fiancee, Vick was driving home to Virginia to begin two months of home confinement at his five-bedroom house in Hampton before a scheduled released from federal custody on July 20.

Sometime after that, he’ll meet with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, who’ll then start the process of deciding if Vick should be allowed to return to the NFL.

“I don’t know what else I can add,” Goodell said Wednesday. “Once he’s concluded that, I will make a judgment based on what he tells me and what I can determine from speaking to others and a final background check on this and make a determination at the right time.”

No teams have publicly said they would welcome Vick on their club, for several reasons—the biggest of which is his contract rights are still owned by the Falcons, who may seek to trade him or give him his outright release if Goodell reinstates the former Virginia Tech star.

If a team takes a chance on Vick, that club will surely have to deal with a public-relations uproar.

“We’re not looking at that situation. We don’t have an interest there,” Colts owner Jim Irsay said.

But at the same time, Irsay suggested Vick should have a chance to redeem himself.

“It’s always great when you hear about the stories of people coming back from (mistakes) early in their life and turning things around,” Irsay said.

Blank is saying that because he still owns Vick's rights and wants someone to trade for him. Vick "stole" tons of money from Blank when he got to keep his huge signing bonus after all this went down.

Trust me, if Arthur Blank could drag Vick out back to the shed, he would do it in a heartbeat.

Blank is saying that because he still owns Vick's rights and wants someone to trade for him. Vick "stole" tons of money from Blank when he got to keep his huge signing bonus after all this went down.

Trust me, if Arthur Blank could drag Vick out back to the shed, he would do it in a heartbeat.

Completely agree.

From Tony Dungy, writing for SI.com… I firmly believe Michael (Vick) deserves a second chance in life. I understand how appalling dog fighting is, and in no way do I condone it. But
:wacko: The most common BS line ever by people who do in fact condone something (ie look the other way) to some degree or other.

he was given a punishment that the court deemed appropriate, and now he exits prison having paid for that crime. It's time to let him bounce back after that loss. If we are willing to forgive Michael and take an honest look at the person who is leaving that prison, we might be surprised at what we see. We might see a man who says "I'm sorry" with his actions and not just his words. We might see a man who wants to get back to his three children and stop the cycle of young people growing up without a father to help them. Least important, we might see him play football again. I'm not sure of the Michael Vick(notes) we would see on the field, but I believe we would see a very different person off the field. That's what would be exciting to me
What would be exciting to me is the apologist dipsh** Tony Dungy shutting up. What a putz, as is anyone stupid enough to believe Vick is remotely sorry about anything other than getting caught and is a human being on anything more than a biological technicality. This whole thing would be funny (in an absurd way) if it wasn't so revolting. Edited by BeeR

:wacko: The most common BS line ever by people who do in fact condone something (ie look the other way) to some degree or other.

What would be exciting to me is the apologist dipsh** Tony Dungy shutting up. What a putz, as is anyone stupid enough to believe Vick is remotely sorry about anything other than getting caught and is a human being on anything more than a biological technicality. This whole thing would be funny (in an absurd way) if it wasn't so revolting.

Agree 1,000%. Vick is no way sorry for anything he did. He is a POS just like his brother and will say or do anything to make it look like he is sorry for what he did.

Letting him back in the NFL is a mistake and any team that takes him is insane - he sucked years ago and can't be better now.

Let him get a job flippin burgers in some ghetto - he is a ghetto thug along with his brother and does not deserve a 2nd chance.