[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rosenhaus on Twitter

Randall

Packers Daily Briefing 05.21.09

May. 21, 2009

Good morning. Here is your PDB for Thursday, May 21, 2009. It contains all the links, info, analysis and occasional humor you'll need to start your day.

PACKER PIPELINE

* One week from today the public gets its first look at the 2009 Green Bay Packers. Practice starts at 11:15 a.m. on Clarke Hinkle Field (pending a stiff breeze or partly cloudy weather, which could push the Packers indoors).

* So, does anybody want a laugh this morning?

Even if you don't have a Twitter account, you can still read posts by individuals. I highly recommend checking out the Twitter page for agent Drew Rosenhaus each morning. He usually has a few posts up by that time.

The unintentional comedy/agent-speak is off the charts.

On Wednesday, we were treated to this gem about the only Packers player currently represented by Rosenhaus Sports:

Another strong safety that will have a big year is Atari Bigby with the Packers. He is healthy and ready to make some big hits again.

Then Rosenhaus went on to rant (or is it a whine?) about how certain NFL teams (like the Packers) are way under the salary cap. (Nevermind the fact that the Packers have a boatload of free agents heading into contract years. So it's not like Ted Thompson is going to pocket the leftover money. It will all be used.)

Here's what Rosenhaus had to say, with my translation to help you along:

Kudos to the Miami Dolphins for spending the most cash over cap this yr. It's really disappointing that so many teams are way under the cap.

Translation: Thanks for being one of the teams that pays exorbitant signing bonuses, which are the only true guaranteed part of any contract. So what if you have tons of dead money on your cap down the road, and every roster decision you make has be done with both eyes on the salary cap? You guys are doing a great job. Oh, and thanks for contributing to the widening disparity between big and small market teams...and getting your teams into financial "troubles" so much so that you cancel out the CBA because you're not making as many millions as you used to. Don't let anybody tell you that if you ran your business better -- like not spending cash over cap -- that you would be doing just fine. Just ignore them.

How can a team legitimately say that they are committed to winning & then still be millions of dollars under the salary cap?

Translation: I'm conveniently ignoring the fact that each team uses up every bit of salary cap space by the time it has to (although many use dummy clauses to get there). And I also conveniently ignore all those new contracts and contract extensions I'm always pushing for my guys at this time of year. Because we all know if there was no salary-cap space, then none of those deals could get done. Just move along.

The NFL owners complain about escalating player costs and yet so many of these owners don't spend up to the salary cap.

Translation: It's really irritating to me that nobody has signed Rex Grossman or Sam Madison yet. They're calling me every day.

Why is there so much controversy when a player who out-performs his contract asks for a increased deal? NFL teams release players everyday who have several years left on their contracts. It's an unfair double standard that teams can cut players before they finish their deal. And players who ask for a raise are criticized. The system needs to work both ways. There is nothing wrong with players getting their worth.

Translation: Let's also ignore the fact that 99% of American workers have no guaranteed contracts. They also have the right to ask for a raise when they think it is warranted. And management has a right to say no. You know what happens when they don't get that raise? They go look for another job...even if that might take two or three years. We'll also ignore that millions of people have been laid off or have had to swallow furloughs or even wage cuts (ahem).

But the funniest post for Packers fans has to be this one from this morning:

Ahmad Carroll's amazing comeback continues with the Jets. He has gone from the Arena League to playing a key role this yr on defense.

I'll let you guys handle that one.

Ahmad Carroll's amazing comeback continues with the Jets. He has gone from the Arena League to playing a key role this yr on defense.

I'll let you guys handle that one.

Guys like Ahmad Carroll is why guys like Kurt Warner can come FROM the Arena League to play QB in the NFL.

Guys like Ahmad Carroll is why guys like Kurt Warner can come FROM the Arena League to play QB in the NFL.

:wacko:

Carroll has been in league 5 years. Warner has been in the league 12 years. How is it that Carroll set the table for Warner to play in the NFL?

Rosenhaus understands nothing about the complexities of running an entire franchise and everything about using any tactic, including unethical ones, to get his clients every single cent that he can. He serves his clients with great fervor, but you have to wonder with his reputation,some of the incredulous things that come out of his mouth, and some of the actions that he advises his clients to take, whether he serves them in the best way possible at times.

When he speaks to this kind of issue, it comes off as nothing more than ignorant grandstanding.

Edited by Bronco Billy

:D

Carroll has been in league 5 years. Warner has been in the league 12 years. How is it that Carroll set the table for Warner to play in the NFL?

Guys like Carroll. Packer fans can Diss on Carroll but looks like nobody else can. :wacko:

I'm still missing your whole point. Could you start over for me and type slower so that I can understand it better?

Randall said that he was going to let us handle that one about Ahmad Carroll. I failied miserably. Thank you.

Ok. Here is a slower typed version. Didn't Kurt Warner play in the Arena football league? Do shut-down corners (or lack there of) effect his performance as a QB? Does Ahmad Carroll play cornerback? This was intended to be a joke since that was the challenge of the post originally.

Edited by MikesVikes

Ok. Here is a slower typed version. Didn't Kurt Warner play in the Arena football league? Do shut-down corners (or lack there of) effect his performance as a QB? Does Ahmad Carroll play cornerback? This was intended to be a joke since that was the challenge of the post originally.

See, I get it now. You just need to increase the size and the weight of the hammer...

See, I get it now. You just need to increase the size and the weight of the hammer...

They make pills for that

Why is there so much controversy when a player who out-performs his contract asks for a increased deal? NFL teams release players everyday who have several years left on their contracts. It's an unfair double standard that teams can cut players before they finish their deal. And players who ask for a raise are criticized. The system needs to work both ways. There is nothing wrong with players getting their worth.

Translation: Let's also ignore the fact that 99% of American workers have no guaranteed contracts. They also have the right to ask for a raise when they think it is warranted. And management has a right to say no. You know what happens when they don't get that raise? They go look for another job...even if that might take two or three years. We'll also ignore that millions of people have been laid off or have had to swallow furloughs or even wage cuts (ahem).

The above is the only one the guy is WAY off on. NFL players don't have guaranteed contracts, that's WHY teams can cut them if they are underperforming and/or aging. And you don't think the whole of the NFLPA would agree to cut wages across the board if revenues were drying up?

The above is the only one the guy is WAY off on. NFL players don't have guaranteed contracts, that's WHY teams can cut them if they are underperforming and/or aging. And you don't think the whole of the NFLPA would agree to cut wages across the board if revenues were drying up?

That was his point - NFL players don't have guaranteed contracts, but neither do most workers.

*sigh*

Here we go again. A signing bonus is guaranteed money. What's more, it is paid up front before a guy even plays a down for the team. And it is normally a sizable chunk of the total contract. AND the team has virtually no way of recovering it if the guy ends up being a turd, a loafer, or just decides he doesn't need to work as hard any more. AND it also has tremendous impact as to whether a team keeps a player on its roster if he does underperform significantly and the contract is for several years, since cutting him even though he sucks accelerates the bonus forward.

THAT'S the trade off for a team being able to cut a guy before his contract is up, and it is why both the teams and the players/agents agree to sign the contract that allows both sides to benefit from the mutual risk being taken.

Any of you guys get a signing bonus worth the equivalent of 5 years of your salary, with no requirement for you to pay any of it back if the compny let you go, before you even started your current job?

Didn't think so....

I'm not quite sure why some guys simply refuse to understand this even though it has been explained multiple times. Classic Rosenass putting forth what he knows is false information.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Rosenhaus understands nothing about the complexities of running an entire franchise and everything about using any tactic, including unethical ones, to get his clients every single cent that he can. He serves his clients with great fervor, but you have to wonder with his reputation,some of the incredulous things that come out of his mouth, and some of the actions that he advises his clients to take, whether he serves them in the best way possible at times.

When he speaks to this kind of issue, it comes off as nothing more than ignorant grandstanding.

Well, to some of the people who employ him he probably sounds like a genius.