[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Top Chef Masters

WashingtonD

So I was just watching a re-run of an old top chef on Bravo while eating lunch today and what pop's up? A plug for a new Bravo Show "Top Chef Masters"

Essentially it's Top Chef meets Celebrity apprentice, with celebrity cooks doing the stuff they've been putting all the other top chef participants through...unfortunately it's a new cast of judges (I'm more likely to watch anything with Padma in it than not)

http://www.bravotv.com/top-chef-masters/season-1/about

Looking forward to seeing how it plays out, hopefully as entertaining as top chef can be

WD

I am still 7 shows behind on Top Chef New York. I am ashamed of that fact considering how much I love the show, but think that I wasn't used to a season taking place during the non-summer tv season and got way behind. Anyway, I saw an ad for this and will tune in. Admittedly, I like the idea of younger or less famous chefs going at it, but anything in the Top Chef format is worth a look IMO.

Edited by TDFFFreak

• 3 weeks later...

First episode last night was pretty good. Each week 4 different established chefs compete. One wins and moves on to the final showdown. Quickfire challenge and a main challenge. The chef's are competeing for charities of their choice, $100,000 to the winners charity. If you're a Top Chef fan then I think you'll enjoy this. :wacko: First quickfire, dessert in 60 minutes, judges.....4 Girl Scouts

Edited by slambo

Yeah, that was harsh! I love the comment, that red-haired girl is a future New York Times food critic.

The full challenge was no easy one either. Cook a three course meal with only a hot plate, a toaster oven, and a microwave available. Oh yeah, they actually had to do it in a dorm room as well.

It was pretty good, I was skeptical at first until I realized "no drama" just 100% world class chefs having a great time cooking.

+1. I don't need the drama. How cool was it when Texas boy pulled it together and put out a great meal after freezing all of his food?

Bravo was smart to keep Tom and Padma way the hell away from this thing, because these actual Top Chefs are making their usual cast of under-30 sous chefs and over-40 caterers look like rank amateurs. I actually walked past Christopher Lee's place, Aureole, about 400 times last year while I was at an industry conference. Per-meal limit on the company card meant I couldn't really indulge. I went across the hallway to Michael Mina's steakhouse instead, and rocked a killer carpacchio and a cocktail. There are not many places on this Earth where you will hear the sentence, "Compliments of the chef, sir, a collection of french fries for you".

Peace

policy

Edited by policyvote

I wonder how Colicchio would do against these guys. :wacko:

I would love to see him put up or shut up.

He was in Vegas during WCOFF last year. We saw him. It'd be interesting to see him competing, but may be biased?

No kidding, where?

I could have done it with Megan Fox and not remembered considering my mental capacity from WCOFF last year.

No kidding, where?

We were in the lobby of Benihana at the Las Vegas Hilton having some drinks while waiting for our table. It's a pretty large absolutely beautiful lobby and almost no one was there. We walked in and him and 3 other people were sitting there drinking. Tina noticed him two tables over. We were going to walk over and say hi, but I don't really like to bother people while they're entertaining. We were about the only ones in there. I don't know if he was eating there or not. I doubt it, but the people out West were raving about Benihanas like it was the greatest place on Earth. Virginia has better food in places that cook at your table. We were disappointed in the meal and figured someone of his stature wouldn't eat there....who knows though. I'm convinced he was just drinking.

• 1 month later...

Finally got around to the last 2 episodes on tivo and was floored by Dale's cameo. I don't watch a lot of reality TV at all, but I've never seen anyone in any field of study go on national TV multiple times and mark themselves 100% un-hireable every single time. Incredible.

That having been said, I friggin LOVE Hubert Keller. Which is saying a lot because I can't stand the French.

The Mrs and I went to Bayless's restaurant in Chicago this weekend. The doors opened at 5pm and we got there at 4:45pm. The line was around the block! We decided to stick it out and it was a 2 hour wait. We put our names on the list and did a little bar hopping around the neighborhood. When we got back and sat down it was one of the best dining experiences I have had in a long time. The atmosphere was good and food was better. It was an awesome night!

The Mrs and I went to Bayless's restaurant in Chicago this weekend. The doors opened at 5pm and we got there at 4:45pm. The line was around the block! We decided to stick it out and it was a 2 hour wait. We put our names on the list and did a little bar hopping around the neighborhood. When we got back and sat down it was one of the best dining experiences I have had in a long time. The atmosphere was good and food was better. It was an awesome night!

I am definitely eating there next time we are in town, hopefully a bit of the top chef surge I am certainly they are currently experiencing will have died down by then. I really gained a lot of respect for him on the show.....everything he did was really thoughtful and creative, and looked and sounded delicious. through the whole show, he was probably the only person who never once made a really serious mistake. everything was at a really high level and he seems like a really good, down to earth guy.