[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

WR/WR to start the draft

dirtdickens

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I took Rodgers at pick 21 in a draft full of "experts" who run their own websites and the announcers hamemred me all draft long for taking a QB that early. When Romo and Brady went in the 5th and Cutler in the 7th they kept saying over and over "See this is why you wait on your QB and you do not take one in the 2nd round"

I thought it was solid value to get Rodgers at pick 21 but the "experts" thought otherwise.

I understand why some go QB early but that doesn't mean it is the end all be all just cause you hit on Rodgers...I still think that is to early to take a QB but then again I also think round 5-7 is too.

So would people consider picking Roddy White and Brandon Marshall with your first two picks a solid WR/WR combo? At 11.

The key to this strategy is consistancy. Brentastic turned me on to a stat about Wayne, Fitz and Moss competing on AVG with the top ten backs in PPR over something like 3 years. The only real chance you have of making this work is getting two of those guys secured with your first two picks and then picking the good "other halves" of RBBC.

This year WR looks like a crap shoot at best. I would feel great if White was my second WR this year, but you have to get AJ or Wayne, in my opinion, with that first pick.

I took Rodgers at pick 21 in a draft full of "experts" who run their own websites and the announcers hamemred me all draft long for taking a QB that early. When Romo and Brady went in the 5th and Cutler in the 7th they kept saying over and over "See this is why you wait on your QB and you do not take one in the 2nd round"

I thought it was solid value to get Rodgers at pick 21 but the "experts" thought otherwise.

it depends on your scoring...

in my local, you had 3 players on another planet while everyone else was lumped together

Rodgers, Brees and C Johnson ...so if I can get one of them on my team, I care not what "experts" think....I've won this league 5 times in the last 10 years, so I have it pretty much Muto'd down...

I understand why some go QB early but that doesn't mean it is the end all be all just cause you hit on Rodgers...I still think that is to early to take a QB but then again I also think round 5-7 is too.

Agree with this completely for this year. I have had my best years when taking a QB in the 3rd round, but I have also done alright for myself picking the one QB in round 6 that just happens to bring it that year. This year is odd in my PPR format, it looks like people are taking the QBs frequently in the first two rounds, more so than I have ever seen.

I dunno, something to keep an eye on.

Looking to get Kolb and another guy in the mid rounds.

Edited by dirtdickens

The key to this strategy is consistancy. Brentastic turned me on to a stat about Wayne, Fitz and Moss competing on AVG with the top ten backs in PPR over something like 3 years. The only real chance you have of making this work is getting two of those guys secured with your first two picks and then picking the good "other halves" of RBBC.

This year WR looks like a crap shoot at best. I would feel great if White was my second WR this year, but you have to get AJ or Wayne, in my opinion, with that first pick.

So how about Wayne/White or Wayne/Marshall?

So how about Wayne/White or Wayne/Marshall?

I would say either combos are fine, but I'd rather go with the WR in the weaker defensive division as well as playing in a dome a minimum of 9 games a year....

so I'd say White > Marshall right now

Reggie's output near the end of the season last year (excluding the games he sat) worries me. On top of that, Garcon has been named the starter opposite of him and I feel I can get good value with him later in the draft.

This requires you to get Garcon. Not exactl a sure thing.

If you rank Wayne above Marshall and White, and you decide to go WR with your pick, then take Wayne. If you don't have Wayne ranked the highest, then don't take Wayne.

If later in the draft, you decide to go WR, and Garcon is your top ranked WR at that time, take Garcon. Whether you have Wayne or not is irrelevant to the decision.

Just don't like that schedule. My thinking again is this: AJ will be gone. I do not want Larry nor CJ at that position. I think Moss will be gone and even if he is there, don't want him because of numerous concerns. That leaves Wayne, Marshall, White as the next best on my board. Some might say Austin but I'll pass on him. Really don't like the Colts passing schedule and the upside is better with the two younger guys. They have fairly consistent as well.

Edited by Goopster24

Just don't like that schedule. My thinking again is this: AJ will be gone. I do not want Larry nor CJ at that position. I think Moss will be gone and even if he is there, don't want him because of numerous concerns. That leaves Wayne, Marshall, White as the next best on my board. Some might say Austin but I'll pass on him. Really don't like the Colts passing schedule and the upside is better with the two younger guys. They have fairly consistent as well.

If you rank Wayne above Marshall and White, and you decide to go WR with your pick, then take Wayne. If you don't have Wayne ranked the highest, then don't take Wayne.

I'll take it every day.

1.6 Andre Johnson

2.7 Randy Moss

Agreed, and I think this strategy is ideal after the top 5 backs are off the board. It all comes down to how you feel about that 2nd tier of RB's after Gore. Personally, I will be taking top flight WR's rather than taking a chance on a JCharles, Mathews, SGreene, etc. You can never say one strategy is the end all be all. If you do you are going to lose out on trends that vary from year to year. This year, IMO, that 2nd tier of RB's just has too many question marks to feel good about. I will be taking 2 WR's in my top 2 picks and take my chances on the 3rd and 4th tier RB's.

I think it would be hilarious if everyone in the 1st and 2nd rounds took RB's and then the 4rd and 4th took WR's and then the 5th went QB. What wins fantasy leagues is rounds 4-8. Drafting guys in the 4-8 area that give you 1-4 scoring value. I figure you can either be the sheep that follow all the RB whore advice or you can be the wolf that eats the sheep. Start runs, dont follow them. Draft players you think will score the most points every single week regardless of position. The RB/RB is something a lot of people follow so while you have two of the top 3-WR's you can easily find a guy like Pierre Thomas that fell while those RB whores are fighting over Devin Hester.

Agreed, and I think this strategy is ideal after the top 5 backs are off the board. It all comes down to how you feel about that 2nd tier of RB's after Gore. Personally, I will be taking top flight WR's rather than taking a chance on a JCharles, Mathews, SGreene, etc. You can never say one strategy is the end all be all. If you do you are going to lose out on trends that vary from year to year. This year, IMO, that 2nd tier of RB's just has too many question marks to feel good about. I will be taking 2 WR's in my top 2 picks and take my chances on the 3rd and 4th tier RB's.

+1000

Picking from the 8 spot and starting out Wayne, White is better than my other options. Load up on Michael Bush, Hightower types and hope for the best.

The only RB I like when coming around int he second is DWill, but then you have to handcuff............

+1000

Picking from the 8 spot and starting out Wayne, White is better than my other options. Load up on Michael Bush, Hightower types and hope for the best.

The only RB I like when coming around int he second is DWill, but then you have to handcuff............

I took Marshall and White and then came back in the third with Stewart. Like how it turned out a lot.

Thats pretty inconsistent to be honest with you. Marshall is a stud, no doubt, but thats one heck of a passing schedule and you gotta get lucky for them to throw enough. I guess if anyone can make it work there are only a few WRs capable of getting by on skill alone-Fitz, AJ, Marshall, but thats a pretty tall order for a 1st. I like White in the second, I am looking at him there too. JStew as your #1RB will pay off when DWill goes down, but take a look at who the coach is.............in my opinion he doesnt play a lot unless he has to.

Thats pretty inconsistent to be honest with you. Marshall is a stud, no doubt, but thats one heck of a passing schedule and you gotta get lucky for them to throw enough. I guess if anyone can make it work there are only a few WRs capable of getting by on skill alone-Fitz, AJ, Marshall, but thats a pretty tall order for a 1st. I like White in the second, I am looking at him there too. JStew as your #1RB will pay off when DWill goes down, but take a look at who the coach is.............in my opinion he doesnt play a lot unless he has to.

Sure it was a little reach but on WRs alone not sure if it was. Only other guys to consider are Wayne and Fitzgerald. Wayne has a horrible passing schedule as well and his output blew near the end of the season. And Fitz has Leinart uncertainty plus Boldin gone. So I felt comfortable picking a guy who had Orton throwing the ball to him last year and was ultra productive.

Edited by Goopster24

Jstew will pay off when dwill goes down? Isn't Jstew just as if not more likely to go down? Anyways goign wr/wr is def more of a sure thing when u land either Andre or Moss..

• 5 years later...