[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

WR/WR to start the draft

dirtdickens

Last 3 years in both my leagues, I followed the simple formula WR,WR,RB,RB IF you are picking 7-10. And in both leagues I made it to the super bowl. To bad I didn't win but I made it.

I recommended this strategy to several ppl and backed it up with statistics. Now I am by no means a know it all guy but if something I toyed around with and it works, I am more than happy to share my success with all of you.

If you take a running back with a late-first-rounder, you'll already be drawing from the non-elite pool at the position, and that will leave you chasing points. From 2002-08, the top-ranked running back averaged 347 compared to 225 points for the No. 8 back and 205 for the No. 10 back. You don't really help your cause by doubling down on a running back in the second round, either. For example, if every owner goes RB-RB with the first two picks, the top spot would hold an advantage of 107 points over the 10th spot. Good luck making that up, especially when you consider the owner selecting first overall will also lock in the top-ranked wide receiver in the third round in this scenario.

The 1st 4 or 5 RBs off the board are similar and as I like to call them "high end" RBs. Once they are gone, the next 15 are a crap shoot and will put up similar points for you week in and week out. Approx 20-25 points on avg.

This is a strategy in a 10 team league, if I forgot to mention.

Think of it this way, if you are picking at the 9 position,which I am doing again this year, grabbing a wr 1st, you can aquire AJ, Jennings, Moss or even Fitz if your lucky. Then grabbing one of the other formentioned WRs as your 2nd pic will benefit you greatly.

Ppl grabbing RBs at the 8-10 spot, won't benefit as much as the WRs available. After the 1st 4 or even 5 RBs get taken, there is a considerable drop off from points per game they will get you. RBs in the 3rd round and 4th consist of Bush, P.Thomas, McFadden, Grant, Stewart, Ronnie Brown and many more that I would glady have on my roster.

Good info here. :wacko:

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 team PPR, redraft. I did the WR/WR again. 11th pick. I took A. Johnson, came back around with Calvin Johnson, picked K. Smith in the third, followed by D. Clark (TE mandatory league), Palmer, K. Walter, C. Benson, A. Bradshaw. Feeling really good about this again this year. Yes, no matter which way you go in the draft, you have to sacrifice a little at at least one position. But I don't think my sacrifice is that great when I still get two starting RBs with little competition. And Bradshaw is there to take over when Jacobs goes down like he always does.

Roster:

Palmer, Edwards

Smith, Benson, Bradshaw

Johnson, Johnson, Walter

Clark, Boss

Kaeding

Chargers

Did a NFFC 12 teamer for their online Championship last night PPR-(rb only .5, Passing Td-6)-Starters QB, 2RB, 3Wr, Te, D, K and Flex-

1.08-Moss

Rd2-Jennings

Rd3-K Smith

Rd4-Housh

Rd5-Addai

Rd6-Wells

Rd7-Felix

Rd8-Olsen

Rd9-Ryan

Rd10-Z.Miller

Rd11-Nicks

Rd12-L Robinson

Rd13-GB d

Rd14-Flacco

Rd15-M.Bell

Rd16-Kelly

Rd17-Ware

Rd18Elam

Rd19Clowney

Rd20Murphy

Went the WR route and came away pretty happy --waited on QB and TE so ended up with usable RB but all 3 were picked without their handcuffs so we will see

i went wr/wr this year (10th pick in 12 team league). i drafted fitz & a. johnson...and i even feel good about my rb's too. i picked up grant in the 3rd, westy in the 5th, rice in the 6th, wells in the 8th, & l. washington in the 11th. i guess we'll see what happens.

Looks like a lot of you had a more to choose from in terms of RBs coming back around in the 3rd. Where did the elite QBs get snatched up? Rodgers was there at 3.9 and I felt better taking him than picking from the Ronnie Brown-Thomas Jones teir of RBs.

brady, both mannings (hard to beleive eli went that early...nyg homer), brees, romo, rodgers, & rivers were all gone by pick 3.08

Well I went WR/Wr for the first time ever. It is a PPR league so I went AJ and CJ. I had #10 of 12. I passed on 2 RB's figuring I would get one on the way back knowing who was picking after me and how they almost always draft. Well that plan went to hell in a hand basket and they did what they never do. Both went RB/RB :wacko: I figured I could get Grant or P. Thomas later but again 2 different teams went RB/RB/RB with their first 3 picks :D I ended up with a horrible backfield with McFadden/Lynch/Washington/Graham/Charles :D Who knows, maybe my RB's will pan out OK. I have great WR's with AJ/CJ/Bowe/S. Moss. I can still make a trade after a few weeks pan out and people see they need a WR (fingers crossed).

Well I went WR/Wr for the first time ever. It is a PPR league so I went AJ and CJ. I had #10 of 12. I passed on 2 RB's figuring I would get one on the way back knowing who was picking after me and how they almost always draft. Well that plan went to hell in a hand basket and they did what they never do. Both went RB/RB :D I figured I could get Grant or P. Thomas later but again 2 different teams went RB/RB/RB with their first 3 picks :2cents: I ended up with a horrible backfield with McFadden/Lynch/Washington/Graham/Charles :D Who knows, maybe my RB's will pan out OK. I have great WR's with AJ/CJ/Bowe/S. Moss. I can still make a trade after a few weeks pan out and people see they need a WR (fingers crossed).

In a PPR league McFadden, Lynch and Leon Washington is not that bad. Sure they are not superstars but dude you got Andre and Calvin freaking Johnson! :2cents::D:2cents::wacko::D

Let me explain something getting those 2 WR's at 10/15 is near criminal I just finished about 5 PPR drafts in the last 3 days and AJ was going between picks 4-7 in ALL of them and CJ never made it past 11 in ANY of them.

Once Lynch comes back he will be like having a 2nd or 3rd round RB on your team.

Bowe as a 3rd WR is pretty good as well he catches a lot of passes.

Give me your team I will take it to a title.

Went Wr/Wr in my 12 team local. Standard scoring no PPR. Picked out of the 11 hole

R Moss

A Johnson

K Smith

J Witten

W Parker

T Romo

D Mason

F Jones

J Davis

J Morgan

Baltimore

B Scott

D Akers

M Cassell

I'm 9 of 12. No ppr/standard. As I consider the WR-WR-RB-RB plan, could do a lot worse than this...

12 team local...unique scoring with 1pt./1yd. & 25 pt. TDs. I had the 12th pick, with Chris Johnson as my keeper. Team is in my sig. I took Andre Johnson in 1.12 and Randy Moss in 2.1. It was a relief to not have to worry about WRs for a while.

Edited by Qdaddyo

QUOTE (The Mucca @ 9/8/09 2:19am) Went Wr/Wr in my 12 team local. Standard scoring no PPR. Picked out of the 11 hole

R Moss

A Johnson

K Smith

J Witten

W Parker

T Romo

D Mason

F Jones

J Davis

J Morgan

Baltimore

B Scott

D Akers

M Cassell

I'm 9 of 12. No ppr/standard. As I consider the WR-WR-RB-RB plan, could do a lot worse than this...

Picked from the 9 spot and went WR/WR/RB/RB ended up with:

Fitz

Wayne

Grant

PT

Edited by boat_hacked

All drafts are different. If you're the only game in town going WR/WR, it should force a WR run. You can't have it all, but in a PPR a stud WR or two is money. WR's are going higher this year than I've ever seen them go, which mixes up what remains. RBBC is the new trend and it's gonna stick IMO. This year's stats will prolly prove that more than ever... 2 cents.

0-1 to start the year. Not much I could do when the guy I played had the Philly D and I was minus Pierre Thomas.

Overall I was encouraged by my team because I think that Moss and Fitz outproduced everyone else drafted in the same range for me. Without PT I had to start Felix Jones and Fatdale-combined 5 points, but my WRs/RBs outscored the RBs/WRs taken in the same range enough that I still came out a little bit ahead.

Going into next week I should be good as I think Royal will get some looks and the GB WRs will actually catch a few long balls, or anything for that matter.

Interesting that there were so many similar rosters under the WR/Wr plan. I'll be interested to hear how these linups do in different leagues.

As far as runs go, isn;t the whole point to beat the run, rather than be controlled by it? I understand the principle, but drafting in order to cause a run, seems to me to alter your ability to choose almost as much as feeling forced to follow it.

And isn;t there something to be said to draft in such a way that you have insurance against a run? By loading up on any one position, you make yourself vulnerable to a run in another. Concentrate on building an entire team and you are more likely to retain choice throughout the draft and make better decisions. A "forced" pick is almost always a bad one.

Well I went WR/Wr for the first time ever. It is a PPR league so I went AJ and CJ. I had #10 of 12. I passed on 2 RB's figuring I would get one on the way back knowing who was picking after me and how they almost always draft. Well that plan went to hell in a hand basket and they did what they never do. Both went RB/RB :wacko: I figured I could get Grant or P. Thomas later but again 2 different teams went RB/RB/RB with their first 3 picks :D I ended up with a horrible backfield with McFadden/Lynch/Washington/Graham/Charles :D Who knows, maybe my RB's will pan out OK. I have great 2 WR's with AJ/CJ , 1 So-So WR in Bowe, and one completely craaaapppy wr in S. Moss. I can still make a trade after a few weeks pan out and people see they need a WR (fingers crossed).

fixed

i went wr/wr this year (10th pick in 12 team league). i drafted fitz & a. johnson...and i even feel good about my rb's too. i picked up grant in the 3rd, westy in the 5th, rice in the 6th, wells in the 8th, & l. washington in the 11th. i guess we'll see what happens.

Brian Westbrook in the 5th round.

:wacko:

I am sure this will jinx me the rest of the year but I have no problem updating weekly with if I won or loss after going WR/WR and for kicks will list my starting RBs

Wk1: Won 175.68 to 175.22

Reggie Bush/Leon Washington

Wk2: Lost 181.70 to 221.20 (I was "Gore'd")

Reggie Bush/Leon Washington

Edited by keggerz

Last Tuesday, we had a draft for a 10 team startup dynasty league. All experienced Fantasy Football players that I've played against for years. Fun times drafting players, knowing that I'll be keeping them forever. I had the 6th pick, and went for the WR/WR strategy:

6 Calvin Johnson, Det

15 Greg Jennings, GB

26 Matt Ryan, Atl

35 Darren McFadden, Oak

46 Kevin Smith, Det

55 Vincent Jackson, SD

66 Donald Brown, Ind

75 Greg Olsen, Chi

86 Eagles D/ST, Phi

95 Michael Crabtree, SF

106 Mark Sanchez, NYJ

115 Reggie Bush, NO

126 Jeremy Maclin, Phi

135 James Davis, Cle

146 Dustin Keller, NYJ

155 D'Qwell Jackson, Cle

166 Leon Washington, NYJ

175 Earl Bennett, Chi

186 Cowboys D/ST, Dal

195 Chris Henry, Cin

206 Yeremiah Bell, Mia

215 Bernard Scott, Cin

226 Jason Elam, Atl

235 Adewale Ogunleye, Chi

I preranked the WRs having Megatron as #1 & Jennings as #4. The Manager with the 9th pick also went WR/WR & took Fitz & Andre Johnson, who I had pre-ranked as #2 & #3. I got the better of those combos this week, we'll see what happens in the future.

My thinking for a dynasty league is that most of today's workhorse running backs will be in timeshares within a couple of years. The RBBC system is proven to work for NFL teams, so we're gonna be seeing more & more of it. Plus, if you look at the cheatsheets over the years, running backs in the top 10 are always changing, but the top 10 WR crew seems to be more stable.

Edited by jordanzs

Went WR/WR this year for the first time. 12 team PPR, BOTH local semi-big money league.

Took Fitz and Megatron with 11th and 14th picks, then came back and got Westbrook and K. Smith. Reached a bit (according to ADP) with 5th pick and took J. Carlson (TE mandatory with bonus yardage), but really wanted him and knew he wouldn't last much longer with all of us living in the greater Seattle area. Took high week score (and subsequent $$ pot) this past week. Rest of the roster as follows:

M. Ryan, Garrard, Orton

Westbrook, K. Smith, Larry Johnson, Ladell Betts, Shonn Greene (just dropped for McGahee)

Fitz, C. Johnson, D. Avery, J. Morgan

J. Carlson, Shockey

Lindell

Arizona D

We will see how the season goes, but not regretting the WR/WR picks at all.