[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

WR/WR to start the draft

dirtdickens

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am seriously considering doing this. I have the 10 pick in a 12 man league. I dont think i will have AJ/Fitz but may still go WR/WR. I have never done anythhing like this before. I have 1 teams this year both at the 10 spot so thinking i will do this on one of them.

I am seriously considering doing this. I have the 10 pick in a 12 man league. I dont think i will have AJ/Fitz but may still go WR/WR. I have never done anythhing like this before. I have 1 teams this year both at the 10 spot so thinking i will do this on one of them.

See...i think if it falls to you that going WR.WR is the best thing to do...do it. I am going to assume some guys are going to go WR/WR at all costs and end up with say...Calvin johnson/Roddy white which I would not want to bet my season on

In the Huddle Ladder : Practice Squad division, out of 12-teams in the first two rounds, only 11 of the first 24 picks were WR. Only two teams went WR/WR. (And only two teams went RB/RB.)

I think most people find it too risky and would rather go with a mix of positions.

refer to the post above...

I didn't care about position, I Muto'd my draft....:wacko:

In the Huddle Ladder : Practice Squad division, out of 12-teams in the first two rounds, only 11 of the first 24 picks were WR. Only two teams went WR/WR. (And only two teams went RB/RB.)

I think most people find it too risky and would rather go with a mix of positions.

Hopefully this remains true. we will see what my draft brings me...but if i can leave the first 3 rounds with

LT

Steve Smith

Pierre Thomas

I would be ok with that.

Hopefully this remains true. we will see what my draft brings me...but if i can leave the first 3 rounds with

LT

Steve Smith

Pierre Thomas

I would be ok with that.

assuming you take LT around 5th or 6th in a 12 team draft, it would be extremely tough to see Smitty there in the 2nd....

that would be an amazing 1st 3 rounds...

assuming you take LT around 5th or 6th in a 12 team draft, it would be extremely tough to see Smitty there in the 2nd....

that would be an amazing 1st 3 rounds...

LT-Keeper

then i get the 9th pick after 10 keepers are chosen.

10 team league:(

Edited by LayLow

You 3 RBs that could all potentially finish in the top 5. If that happens, I could play WR for your team.

considering I followed the Muto Handbook for drafting, I'd say it's pretty much a lock...

the only problem is I'm not in a $50,000 league :wacko:

Another way to look at the WR/WR/RB/RB debate is in how safe those picks are. In this year's Rotowire magazine Peter Schoenke has some great historical data about how elite WRs (WRs with an ADP that year in the top 15) have fared vs. similar RBs. A couple of the more memorable stats: of the 18 (I think) WRs who had an ADP of 15 or higher, not a single one has been a bust ("bust" being didn't finish the season in the top 24 at the position, meaning they would have been an every-week starter in a 12-team league); also, historically you would have been best served by taking WR/WR/RB/RB as opposed to WR/RB/WR/RB, WR/RB/RB/WR, RB/RB/WR/WR, and RB/WR/RB/WR.

We had Pete on today's radio show to discuss this research as well as more discussion on the topic (podcast link is available on the Huddle main page; that topic is covered in the second segment of Hour 1), but the article is worth a look as well.

2V

where is the article you are talking about? anyone? thanks....

SOFA IDP Draft had 5 WRs go in the 1st round and I went WR/WR (Wayne/Smitty) from the 12 slot(and took another WR (Housh)with my 3rd before grabbing a RB (Bush).

USA Today (1.7 AJ & 2.6 Jennings) and Fantasy Insights (1.3 Fitz & 2.10 RWhite) also went WR/WR to start the draft.

I should note that this is a PPR league and we start 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1K, 2DL, 3LB, 2DB

Edited by keggerz

Another way to look at the WR/WR/RB/RB debate is in how safe those picks are. In this year's Rotowire magazine Peter Schoenke has some great historical data about how elite WRs (WRs with an ADP that year in the top 15) have fared vs. similar RBs. A couple of the more memorable stats: of the 18 (I think) WRs who had an ADP of 15 or higher, not a single one has been a bust ("bust" being didn't finish the season in the top 24 at the position, meaning they would have been an every-week starter in a 12-team league); also, historically you would have been best served by taking WR/WR/RB/RB as opposed to WR/RB/WR/RB, WR/RB/RB/WR, RB/RB/WR/WR, and RB/WR/RB/WR.

We had Pete on today's radio show to discuss this research as well as more discussion on the topic (podcast link is available on the Huddle main page; that topic is covered in the second segment of Hour 1), but the article is worth a look as well.

2V

where is the article you are talking about? anyone? thanks....

pages 8 and 9 of Rotowire Fantasy Football Guide 2009.

ESPN.com also had an article with a similar approach.

I also think one of the things that people need to look at is how large their starting rosters are....If you only start 2 RBs and are in an IDP league were you are starting a total of 15-19 players then you really are minimizing the value of the RB position...i think that is hard for people to come to grips with due to the RB hoarding mentality that fantasy footballers have had for so long....the other thing that imo cant be overlooked is the sheer number of injuries that are suffered in the NFL and my guess without doing any research on it is that the injury rate is much higher for RBs than it is for WRs and other positions...so if the odds are against you from that perspective and then add in the number of RBBC there is no reason to not think out side of the box and look at going WR WR for one.

• 4 weeks later...
I did it tonight in a 14 team league out of the 13th spot. Landed A. and Cal. Johnson so I was pretty happy.....until I ended up with Ray Rice, Julius Jones, Benson and Shady McCoy as my RB stable. I guess it could be worse.

curious what your picks in rounds 3-6 looked like