[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

James Harrison III attacked by daddy's pit bull

budlitebrad

This guy is 0-2 this week. Hopefully the kid is ok.

FRANKLIN PARK, Pa. -- Channel 11 News has learned that a pit bull owned by Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker James Harrison has reportedly attacked the player's young son on Thursday.

An unidentified neighbor said one of the star player's three dogs got loose Thursday at Harrison's Franklin Park home along Matterhorn Drive and attacked the boy, James III. His age was not immediately available.

The boy was taken to UPMC Children's Hospital, where his condition is not known. The hospital declined comment.

"We are aware of the situation, but it a personal matter for James," the Steelers said in a statement.

This guy is 0-2 this week. Hopefully the kid is ok.

The doctor was quoted as saying that they only reason that they came to see me was that the kid got attacked by a dog. If it had been another kid that was attacked by that dog then it would've been that kid and not Harrison that came to see me today. It's no big deal, nothing to get excited about really.

Thank goodness Harrison was not at the White House Thrusday with the rest of the team...I am glad he was home to be able to care for his pit bull and gnawed son.

Guy is not 0-2.....he is 0-fer-brains.

Sometimes Karma's a real beeatch.

Knock it off. Don't some of you have any conscience? A kid got hurt by their pet dog. There's no karma or deserving anything, and it doesn't have anything to do with the President no matter how you feel about him. All you have is a terrible tragedy.

Jesus Christ guys. Get a freakin' grip.

Knock it off. Don't some of you have any conscience? A kid got hurt by their pet dog. There's no karma or deserving anything, and it doesn't have anything to do with the President no matter how you feel about him. All you have is a terrible tragedy.

I feel horrible for the kid and for the family. If you have akid and you still CHOOSE to own a pit bull you are asking for it.

I agree it was a tragedy but it is still a tragedy that probably could have been avoided if the family made a better decision.

I feel horrible for the kid and for the family. If you have akid and you still CHOOSE to own a pit bull you are asking for it.

I agree it was a tragedy but it is still a tragedy that probably could have been avoided if the family made a better decision.

My sister and nephews have a pit on their land. My youngest nephew was playing on the property with the pit when a rattlesnake was about to strike my nephew. The dog jumped in the way, took the bite, then ripped the snakes head off and brought it to the porch. They then rushed the evil pit to the vet and saved her life. If that pit wasn't there, I don't know what happens to my nephew.

My girlfriend was raised around three pits that never once made an aggresive action towards her, but were extremely protective of her. I don't have a pit at this point, but have a few friends that do. I do have a boxer which is considered by some to be an agressive dog, but she's far from it. Not all Pits are killers like some would have you believe.

Just a question... Everyone talking about how someone deserves what they get with a pit... Have you had any experiances with Pits?

Edited by piratesownninjas

Just a question... Everyone talking about how someone deserves what they get with a pit... Have you had any experiances with Pits?

Yes. Kill them all! :wacko:

Big John can link to numerous threads where this has been discussed ad nauseum :D

I love Boxers and they are NOTHING like pitpsychos :D . I will not let my kids anywhere near them. PERIOD!!! :D I have refused to let my kids go to a friend's house because they have one of these things.

BTW As a kid, my grandpa's Vizsla "saved" me from rattlers twice and was smart/fast enough to not get bitten before killing it. He would constantly "patrol the area" for anything dangerous where the children were playing/hiking/sleeping. There are no better dogs for babysitting than the Vizsla.

Edited by McBoog

My girlfriend was raised around three pits that never once made an aggresive action towards her, but were extremely protective of her.

This is always the type of quote that is included in the stories when Pits attack..... "The dog had never been aggressive before and was a great dog", then it is followed by the dog snapping and attacking someone. Of course there are probably several Pits that never have an issue, but, that doesn't discount the countless stories that are out there. I'll never own one and never knowingly let my kid near one.

The guy's an NFL player. If he wasn't an NFL player he would probably be living in a house with wheels and still own that pit bull. The kid didn't do anything to deserve this nor did Harrison for that matter. It's a shame that they couldn't see this as a potential problem before it actually had to happen.

This is always the type of quote that is included in the stories when Pits attack..... "The dog had never been aggressive before and was a great dog", then it is followed by the dog snapping and attacking someone. Of course there are probably several Pits that never have an issue, but, that doesn't discount the countless stories that are out there. I'll never own one and never knowingly let my kid near one.

You forgot to add the part where someone then explains that they failed to follow the absolute precise manner in which a pit must be trained to understand that children are not chew toys.

On another note, I agree that playing the karma card because Harrison snubbed the White House is out of line. I do feel horrible for the child and would frankly prefer it if people didn't always have to pay dearly for their mistakes. None the less, if his kid shot himself with a loaded gun that daddy left laying around on the coffee table, he'd be getting absolutely skewered and there's not a soul around who'd get his back. Gun control advocates would be jumping up and down pointing at this as a reason why they suck. NRA types would be selling him out as fast as they could insisting that he was a disgrace and paints responsible gun owners in a bad light.

The irony, of course, is that this is worse because someone actually has to pick the gun up and fire it in order for it to do any harm. Not so with a pit.

I'm not sure what the exact solution is and, like guns, I've decided over time that it is likely not realistic to try to legislate against any particular breed. I personally think it's a horrible, horrible idea to raise these dogs, particularly if you have children. Were someone to come crying to me because their pit effed up one of their kids, it would take some amount of control not to play the "told you so" card.

No I have not had any experience personally with a pit. You want to know why - because I am not an idiot.

My only experience with a pit is that a nephew of mine got his face ripped apart by one. That dog was never rough in the past. I have a lot of nieces and nephews and a lot of those families have dogs - one has a pit and that is the one who got his face torn apart.

You can have dogs around with kids but I seriously don't understand what kind of parent would CHOOSE to have a pit anywhere near a dog. The key word is choose - parents have a choice and it is a bad one to ave a pit near a child.

Guy is not 0-2.....he is 0-fer-brains.

Typical dumb freakin NFL player.

Re pit bulls, from what I gather it is not a single breed of dog and they are not even inherently aggressive. It's about training, or lack thereof. FWIW

Problem is that my quote was all there was to the story. Nothing about a Pit attacking her.

You forgot to add the part where someone then explains that they failed to follow the absolute precise manner in which a pit must be trained to understand that children are not chew toys.

To my understanding, her pits were trained the same as her border collie.

Sorry guys, my experiances with pits haven't been horror stories. There seems to be a little anger from some of you because of it.

Yes. Kill them all! :D

I hope you're kidding on this one... Not sure that it's a good idea to try and play god by eradicating an animal. :wacko:

I love Boxers and they are NOTHING like pitpsychos :D . I will not let my kids anywhere near them. PERIOD!!! :D I have refused to let my kids go to a friend's house because they have one of these things.

I don't think there is anything wrong with not wanting your kids around them. I'm sure when I have kids I won't want them around pits either. Or Rots, or Dobermans for that matter.

BTW As a kid, my grandpa's Vizsla "saved" me from rattlers twice and was smart/fast enough to not get bitten before killing it. He would constantly "patrol the area" for anything dangerous where the children were playing/hiking/sleeping. There are no better dogs for babysitting than the Vizsla.

I think dogs in general are good at this. I was walking my 5 month old boxer a few weeks ago on a piece of our land that's about 1 1/2 acres. The grass at the tiem was about 6 inches high at the time. My boxer had some kind of switch get flipped and went into badass mode, killing a snake before I had any idea what the hell was going on. She then found two baby snakes over the next week or so and ended them as well.

The rain finally stopped long enough and the grass in the field is now extremely short. Living a few hundred yards from the lake, I have a feeling that I'll be getting my share of Water Mocasiins as well.