[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Colts Coaching Staff

Outshined

How will this affect Manning and Co. this season. Could we see a downturn in his stats due to the turnover in the coaching staff?

Manning throws in his 2 cents; QB says communication is poor on Colts' coaching staff

By MICHAEL MAROT , Associated Press

Last update: May 27, 2009 - 7:23 AM

INDIANAPOLIS - All Peyton Manning wants from the Indianapolis Colts is a game plan. It may take the team a little longer to satisfy the three-time MVP.

The front office is trying determine how retired assistants Tom Moore and Howard Mudd will fit into this season's coaching plans. Manning, who usually toes the company line, would like a better understanding of what to expect.

"Somebody says one thing, then somebody else says another thing," he said Tuesday after a minicamp workout. "I'm not sure everybody's on the same page in this building. I'm just trying to focus on playing quarterback well."

The truth is, the Colts don't know a whole lot, either.

Moore and Mudd retired two weeks ago to avoid losing money under the NFL's revised pension plan. Last week, team owner Jim Irsay told The Indianapolis Star both would return as consultants.

Apparently, those details are still being worked out.

NFL Coaches Association executive director Larry Kennan said last week the two assistants would have to wait six months before returning. Moore is the only coordinator Manning has played for in 11 seasons; Mudd is the Colts' longtime offensive line coach.

But the Colts don't know if they'll really have to wait that long, or what responsibilities Moore and Mudd will assume when they return.

"It's still in negotiations and it's a situation beyond our control," new coach Jim Caldwell said. "At the same time, it will filter itself out at some point. I think what we have to do is focus in on what we can get done now."

Manning is working on his job, but he would also like some answers.

"I can't tell you what's going on. I will say I don't think it' been the most properly communicated scenario around here," he said. "But we have learned to deal with change and have to be prepared to adjust."

The Colts already have announced assistant head coach Clyde Christensen will assume play-calling duties and assistant line coach Pete Metzelaars will have the word "assistant" dropped from his title.

Indy veterans are content with those choices.

Manning said Christensen helped call plays in third-down and red-zone situations last season, two categories in which the Colts had the league's No. 1 conversion rate in 2008.

Three-time Pro Bowl center Jeff Saturday also said his teammates along the line spoke with both Metzelaars and Mudd during games and practices last season, and because the focus this week is on strengthening and conditioning, Saturday hasn't seen much change yet.

"We've not really done anything anyway," he said. "We'd normally be meeting with Pete now, so it's not really affected us. What will happen, or what it (the coaching staff) will look like, I don't know. But I'm sure Jim will make it very clear at some point."

The Colts are in the midst of perhaps their biggest transition since taking Manning with the No. 1 draft pick in 1998.

Besides losing Moore and Mudd, Caldwell has replaced the retired Tony Dungy and has hired new defensive and special teams coordinators. It's the first time since Manning's rookie season the Colts have switched head coaches and both coordinators in the same season.

Manning also lost Marvin Harrison, the franchise's career receiving leader. He was released in a February salary-cap move.

But the most recent moves, losing Moore and Mudd, and the uncertainty of what's going to happen next have the organization looking for solutions.

Colts president Bill Polian did not respond to an interview request from The Associated Press, but did speak later on a local radio show.

"I understand he's somewhat confused because so are we," he said. "It's an extremely complex issue that is very hard to understand. It's frustrating. I'm sure he's frustrated. I'm frustrated."

What Manning really wants, though, are answers.

And that's something the Colts just don't have yet.

"I wouldn't say I totally like the way it is right now. It's not normal not having a full coaching staff," he said. "I know we hired a couple of guys to come in, but these guys are learning.

"I think the communication has been pretty poor in my opinion. But that's what we're dealing with. The hard work is what's going on right now. That's what will carry us through."

Sounds like Peyton is doing what he's done with his teammates all these years-make sure they are all prepared and on the same page.

It's only may. I figure Manning is thinking ahead and wants the whole team to be ready before the season starts.

One day you'll read an article that says that they have been planning this for some time, that the leaders of the coaching staff have been with the team for 5+ years, and that everything is fine. Then the next you'll get something that indicates that there is confusion and lack of communication, etc. In reality though, it's as much of a whole new coaching staff as you can get without having an actual whole new coaching staff. And it was only a two weeks ago that Moore officially retired. It's only natural that there may be some confusion.

Personally, I think Manning gave a 10 second sound byte that ended up being blown up to make it seem like a much bigger deal then what it is in reality. If it was said mid August, then there would be a problem.