[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Who was the best back selected in the 2005 Draft?

Duchess Jack

103 members have voted

1. 1. Not 2008 - but still not a bad group.

• Ronnie Brown
    • Frank Gore
    • Marion Barber
    • Brandon Jacobs
    • Cadillac Williams

Somebody has to lead the Clippers in scoring. I don't know if Barber is better than Gore or not, probably depends onwhatyou need the RB to do. I'd not sure that piling up more yards catches, receiving yards in more time as the starter while being the primary RB on your team is a better indication of who is better than total TD is, either.

YPC isn't necessarily an indication of who is better, either, given their styles and situation. Barber is asked a lot to only get 2 yards.

If stats are the only criteria, you take Gore for sure but I'm not convinced he's the best of the choices.

....I've always had a thing for the power backs ever since my boy Ickey Woods

Do you realize his career numbers are startingly similar to Bo Jackson's?

Gore only started one game as a rookie..

Gore led the team in carries in each of the last 4 games, smartass. :wacko:

I, Riffraff, am an idiot, and I don't know what I'm talking about.

Sucks when someone changes your quote, doesn't it? :D

If you disagree with someone, fine, but please stop changing other people's quotes.

Edited by spider321

If you disagree with someone, fine, but please stop changing other people's quotes.

Most carries does not equal starting the game.

I will say that I said he didn't start a game his rookie year, but he did indeed start 1. I was wrong and can admit it (and provide a reference showing I was wrong).

Don't get mad at me for correcting you if I use the official NFL source. If you feel the official website of the NFL is wrong, you should write them to correct their player page. Otherwise, get the facts straight. :wacko:

No JJ Arrington?!

LOL There was a lot of hype surrounding him being "the guy" in the Dennis Green offense, i.e. new version of Robert Smith.

He went SECOND in my dynasty league. Talk about a bust. Actually the top 3 have been busts. In order drafted in my league::

1) Ronnie Brown: had 1/3 of a good season, has the talent, but has yet to live up to numerous #1 dynasty picks.

2) JJ Arrington: has done nothing. Complete bust not on an NFL roster.

3) Carnell Williams: ROY 2005, looked to be the man of this class, then derailed by injury after injury. He's the guy I drafted. I liked him, but thought he ran too reckless for his size. I moved him after his ROY performance for Tom Brady. Best trade I ever made.

4) Frank Gore: Knee concerns coming in, but has shown none of that in NFL. Those injuries will have a toll though, as his shelf life will be shorter than most RBs. But as of now, he is the best RB in the class.

5) Marion Barber: A good closer. Showed last year, that you can't give him 20 carries a game and expect him to hold up. At worst a RB2 from here on out. Tied for 2nd in this class.

6) Brandon Jacobs: Even with Barber, and very similar, minus the receptions.

I rank them at this point::

Gore

Barber

Jacobs

Brown

But I think Brown can rise past Barber and Jacobs with some healthy years...

Edited by ROYALWITCHEESE

Most carries does not equal starting the game.

That is correct. Most carries is much more important than starting the game. Frank Gore was the primary back in 4 games his rookie season, and was not very far behind Barlow for most carries on the season.(as i referenced earlier in the thread)

I have no problem with you posting anything you want. Just don't misquote other people. Please do not put my user name and quotes on something that I did not type. :D

I am physically attracted to men,

Now do you understand, or should I type slower for you? :wacko:

Edited by spider321

I agree with some posts that Ronnie Brown is the most TALENTED of the 5, but Barber is the best right now. If I was starting a team today and had those five to choose from I would go:

Barber

Gore

Jacobs

Brown

Williams

If Brown had never gotten hurt, he would be #2. But for now, that is how I see it. We should revisit this in two years - I am guessing this list will change (except Caddy being #5).

That is correct. Most carries is much more important than starting the game. Frank Gore was the primary back in 4 games his rookie season, and was not very far behind Barlow for most carries on the season.(as i referenced earlier in the thread)

I have no problem with you posting anything you want. Just don't misquote other people. Please do not put my user name and quotes on something that I did not type. :D

Now do you understand, or should I type slower for you? :wacko:

Early candidate for NTOY.

Agreed.

Poor guy will eventually learn to lose an argument or he'll just fade away into the internet from whence he came. Bravado only goes so far in a discussion.

Early candidate for VDOY.(veteran douchebag of the year)

Nitpicking every single word of a post does not make you somehow right. I called Gore a 4 year "starter" in the same sense that I referred to Barber as a 2 year "starter". By definition, you are correct, they did not "start" the most games. However, they were both big parts of a nearly even time-share during those seasons. I even referenced the fact that Barber was technically a 1 year starter.

Using your literal definition of "starter", Gore has 4,441 yards and 26 TD's as a 3 year starter, while Barber has 3,052 yards and 42 TD's as a 1 year starter.

Either way, Barber pwns Gore.

But enough arguing these backs with you. You are a long time board member. You are also a condescending prick. Please feel free to ignore my posts in the future.

Edited by spider321

all that indicates is that barber is on a team with a lot more scoring opportunities. gore has way more yards, a higher YPC even on the much crappier offense, more receptions, everything.

this.

gotta say that there's a lot of talent in that group though. gore came in in the 2nd year after the 9ers lost garcia, TO, and hearst. defenses didn't care about their passing game and had a lot of men in box. for gore to accumulate the numbers he has is really quite remarkable.

However, they were both big parts of a nearly even time-share during those seasons.

in 05 gore rushed:

0-5 times: 4 times

6-10: 7 times

11-15: 1 time

16-20: 1 time

20+: 1 times

less than 15 carries= 11 times. over 15 carries= 2 times.

Gore had 127 carries in the 2005 season.(Barlow led the team with 176 carries)

Thanks Bier. Already posted earlier in this thread.

Sorry, we have to be precise for Riffraff...

Barlow had 25.9% more carries than Gore in 2005. :wacko:

Edited by spider321

i think the number of carries were deceptive.........11 games with 10 or fewer carries. not as hugh as you might think.

I disagree, but I respect the fact that you did not misquote me or claim that my post is invalid because an "i" was not dotted. :wacko:

Edited by spider321

Thank you spider for making my points for me. I didn't want to get into a full blown out disagreement on this subject, but I do agree with your analysis. :wacko: