[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

rams leaving st.louis?

dmarc117

Bernie Miklasz of the ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH has the scoop:

Two sources with direct knowledge of the situation told the Post-Dispatch on Saturday that [Rams owners Chip] Rosenbloom and [Lucia] Rodriguez have retained the services of Goldman Sachs, the prominent investment banking firm. The owners will ask Goldman Sachs to help facilitate the sale of the Rams by evaluating bids and soliciting potential buyers. The sale price is unknown, but Forbes magazine’s most recent estimate listed the Rams’ value at $929 million.

And if you are a St. Louis Rams fan, here’s the reason to be concerned: I’m told there will be no preconditions attached to the sale of the Rams. This means the Rams could be scooped up by out-of-town buyers.

:wacko:

The NHL recently jumped into the sale of the Coyotes in part to prevent them from being moved back to Canada. I wonder if the NFL will act similarly, or if they love that there are no preconditions, thus opening the door a buyer to move the club back to LA.

There has been talk of this for quite some time.

http://stlouis.bizjournals.com/stlouis/sto...6065&page=1

The Rams lease agreement with the St. Louis Convention & Visitors Commission (CVC) requires the Edward Jones Dome rank among the top eight stadiums in the 32-team NFL on the Dome's 20th birthday in 2015. If first-tier status is not met, the Rams lease would switch to year-to-year terms a decade ahead of schedule and the team would have the option to leave St. Louis.

There ain't no way in hell that the Edward Jones Dome will meet this condition and I can't see St. Louis bucking up the money to try to keep the Rams in town.

I'd say the Rams are more likely than not to leave St. Louis.

Just give the team a billion dollars to build a stadium they'll be tired of in 20 years and they'll stick around I'm sure. :wacko:

John Clayton was mentioning that San Diego is the next most-likely team to vacate their abode for Lala land pending a public vote that is forthcoming.

Don't let the door hit ya on the azz on the way out...

With fans like this I can't believe all this talk of leaving.

They deserve rabid, loyal fans......like the ones in LOS ANG......uh....never mind

GB not a Rams fan.

"That is what happens in sweltering cities with no team in the NFL--like Los Angeles, where high-dollar gambling is by far the most popular sport in town. Millions of dollars go up for grabs every weekend. 'Real football fans were happy when the Rams and the Raiders left town,' Jack Nicholson told me. 'Now we can watch the goddamn games on TV, instead of driving all the way out to Anaheim, or down to that monstrous Coliseum. Nobody wants an NFL team in LA, except maybe the TV networks.'

That is because of the 'mandatory TV blackouts' that the league imposes on any Market where the local team fails to sell all the seats in its 'home stadium.' The LA Coliseum, for instance, seats slightly more than 100,000, and neither the Raiders nor the Rams ever had a sellout crowd. 'It was a hateful situation to put yourself in,' said Jack, 'sitting out there in the smog with a mob of criminal swine full of warm beer. At a Raiders game you could get beaten and robbed without ever leaving your seat. It was like an outdoor jail.'"

-Hunter S. Thompson [writing for ESPN.com, Sept., 2001]

Edited by LosGatosEnFuegos

With fans like this I can't believe all this talk of leaving.

They deserve rabid, loyal fans......like the ones in LOS ANG......uh....never mind

GB not a Rams fan.

I've never been a St. Louis Rams fan. I will always be a St. Louis Football Cardinals fan. Sniff, sniff. :wacko:

Bill Bidwill is Satan. I rooted for the Steelers in the SB because that bass turd deserves to die knowing that he never won the big one.

Fan since '65 . . . don't care what city, as long as they keep it Rams w/ horns on the helmet. Wish they would go back to Navy & white, though.

If they leave St. Louis, the Rams are dead. NFL rule is if a team leaves a city the name and colors stay with the city.

If they leave St. Louis, the Rams are dead. NFL rule is if a team leaves a city the name and colors stay with the city.

Where is that a rule? Written, not forced via lawsuit (Cleveland) or claim of personal ownership (Bud Adams)?

Is this a new rule? The only case of this was with the Browns, which had a special settlement for Modell to leave Cleveland with a stipulation that the Browns name, colors and history stay in Cleveland.

I could have sworn that part of the aftermath of the Browns move was that it was a new rule established that any NFL team that moved would have to leave the heritage of the team behind, but I can't find anything to support that after a few minutes googling. :wacko:

Edit: Yep, I can find nothing on this. I guess I must be wrong.

Edited by CaP'N GRuNGe

Is this a new rule? The only case of this was with the Browns, which had a special settlement for Modell to leave Cleveland with a stipulation that the Browns name, colors and history stay in Cleveland.

And the Oilers phased into the Tennessee Titans (Tennesse Oilers), which means Earl Campbell is the Titans yardage holder from RB, and Warren Moon's records stand in Tennessee for instance.