[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pasta Machine!

SheikYerbuti

So I got a pasta machine for my birthday. I'm going to take it out on its maiden voyage with something simple. Probably spaghetti. Any tips from the veterans? Can I use AP flour or should seek out Semolina? Why do you have to stir in the eggs so slowly? Should I dry the pasta between rolling it and cooking it?

i have to admit that i can't stand rolling pasta, one of my least favorite tasks..... was a sous at an italian place in denver briefly.

ap is fine. try the papardelle attatchment (nice thick noodle). you can dry it but don't have to. it can go in the boiling water pretty quickly. also, it will cook in about half to 2/3 the time it takes to cook dry (store bought) pasta.

My chef du cuisine makes amazing pasta, so I'll talk to him at work today. I will add that the authors of the complete book of pasta, after extolling the virtues of fresh pasta actually had to recant that in their second edition because of how poorly fresh pasta was often being made. They're opinion was that you were better off with dried pasta that was made well.

So, in that respect, I think it warrants being made correctly.

Slightly off subject, but:

Is most pasta you get at Italian places, not super high end and not Olive Garden, but middle of the road local places, dried or fresh? Can you taste the difference? I eat a lot of pasta at home, but it is all store bought and don't know if I am missing out.

Slightly off subject, but:

Is most pasta you get at Italian places, not super high end and not Olive Garden, but middle of the road local places, dried or fresh? Can you taste the difference? I eat a lot of pasta at home, but it is all store bought and don't know if I am missing out.

If it's fresh, they'll tell you. If it's a shape, it is almost certainly dried.

When it's done right, there's a silky texture that dried just doesn't have. When it's done wrong, it's a gluey mess.

Back to the topic. I just spoke to my chef. By volume, equal parts AP, semolina, and egg yolks. I confirmed. Do you mean one yolk per cup of flour? No, 1 cup AP, 1 cup semolina, 1 cup egg yolks.

Edited by detlef

So I just spent about 4 hours with the thing.

I've learned the two most important things are:

1. Make sure the dough is kneeded enough to create enough gluten to keep the final product together.

2. The moisture of the dough is critical. Too wet. . .too dry. . .both bad. The correct window is very small.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to make pasta quite a bit using one of those old hand crank machines. It was time consuming but I didn't find it awful to do. Fresh pasta and a nice homemade pesto. :swoon:

I can't for the life of me remember what the recipe was that I used except it was in the little booklet that came with the machine.