[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rodney Harrison retires

Piranha

glad to see injuries ruin your career Rodney, you dirty, cheating, piece of crap.

Folk who retire because of injuries do it inside of 8-10 years.

Folk who retire after 15 years playing a hard hitting safety, do so because they are human.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lord, I can't believe some of the people I'm agreeing with here, but like Hines Ward, I don't think Harrison is dirty. Meh on the HGH, but he did do some headhunting. Isn't that why we applaud guys that go over the middle and make the catch? They know they're gonna pay, and it's guys like Lott, Lynch, Harrison, Woodson that make them pay. Watching the guy, I didn't see too many cheap shots. Nor did the guy go for the knees - he was coming high and hard to make you think twice about catching that ball next time. I'll admit I might be missing something, but show me. :wacko:

I think it's a disservice to players like Lynch and Lott to have a cheap-shot artist like Harrison mentioned in the same sentence as them.

I think it's a disservice to players like Lynch and Lott to have a cheap-shot artist like Harrison mentioned in the same sentence as them.

If you don't think Lott was a "cheap-shot artist", you evidently did not watch him play.

Actually, Lott would probably thank you if you called him a cheap-shot artist.

I've seen an interview with Lott when he smiles as he is recalling the receivers that were dumb enough to leave their feet when he was on the field. He described how he would hit their legs as hard as he could just to see how many flips they would do before they hit the ground.

I, for one, do not begrudge those who play a game that will remain dangerous and violent regardless of what rules are enacted, for taking measures to mitigate the degree to which they cripple each other at work. Pretty much all of us are protected by safety standards in our jobs and yet some of us act pissed when violence created for our amusement is somehow tamed.

These guys may be modern day gladiators but back then, the stands were filled with people who were not afforded the same protections we take for granted each day. Seems sort of hypocritical to call the modern day NFL "sissified".

detlef, your profile says you're from Durham, but I'm gonna bet you spend alot of time down the road in Chapel Hill.

I kinda get that "sensitive guy" vibe from you.(not that there's anything wrong with that) :wacko:

Edited by spider321

detlef, your profile says you're from Durham, but I'm gonna bet you spend alot of time down the road in Chapel Hill.

I kinda get that "sensitive guy" vibe from you.(not that there's anything wrong with that) :wacko:

It has less to do with being sensitive and more to do with being man enough not to demand anything of anyone I haven't done or wouldn't do myself.

Seriously, you can wax poetic about the old days when guys really "played the game the way it was supposed to be played", but many of those dudes are broke and crippled now. There's still plenty of hard hits in today's game and I'm not going to fault them for looking at the older players and not want to end up like them.

Oh, and I grew up in Cali and watched the Niners every weekend, I also read plenty of interviews with Lott. Dude liked to hit hard. That was his job. Spinning a WR is one thing, taking a QBs knees out in pre-season is another. Are we going to say Bill Romonowski "played the game the right way" as well?

Nor did the guy go for the knees

:wacko:

you must be kidding me. Rodney always goes for the knees. If he doesn't go for the knees, it's because the guy is already laying down and he hits them after the whistle.

I'd rather have a hard hitting, powerful and passionate player, than a whiny, finger pointing choke artist.

What if the whiny finger pointing choke artist has one more Super Bowl ring than any Jaguar?

If Manning is a choke artist, what does that make the unable-to-win the AFC South Jaguars?

Edited by CaptainHook

I loved when a few years back Marvin Harrison had Rodney beat deep, so Rodney reached over and grabbed his face mask and pulled Marvin to the ground. Marvin still caught the ball, and Rodney broke his shoulder. :wacko:

I loved when a few years back Marvin Harrison had Rodney beat deep, so Rodney reached over and grabbed his face mask and pulled Marvin to the ground. Marvin still caught the ball, and Rodney broke his shoulder. :wacko:

I'm trying to figure out how one grabs a facemask when they have been beaten deep...

Foul the player to stop the easy lay up.

I'm trying to figure out how one grabs a facemask when they have been beaten deep...

I was wondering the same thing. Assuming it's true, it could have been that he bit on a fake, got turned around and Marvin was about to blow past him so he reached out and grabbed his facemask? Certainly it would be impossible if he was already a few steps behind him but not if he was about to be and knew he couldn't get up field in time.

Edited by detlef

Marvin was ahead of him, and as the ball arrived Rodney reached over Marvin's shoulder, grabbing his facemask and pulled. It's really not that hard to imagine. :wacko:

It was in the Pats Colts game in 2005. It's been a while, and if I remember correctly, Marv had him beat deep, but the ball was a bit underthrown, and Marv had to slow down and look back, allowing Rodney to cheap shot him.

Marvin was ahead of him, and as the ball arrived Rodney reached over Marvin's shoulder, grabbing his facemask and pulled. It's really not that hard to imagine. :wacko:

Well, unless Harrison has 10 foot arms, I can't imagine how one can assess that he was "beaten" deep. He had to be within half a step of Harrison to do what you said he did.

Well, unless Harrison has 10 foot arms, I can't imagine how one can assess that he was "beaten" deep. He had to be within half a step of Harrison to do what you said he did.

Well, at least my theory was plausible. Gotta side with BB here. It's kinda hard to grab someone's face mask if they've got more than a step on you.

It was in the Pats Colts game in 2005. It's been a while, and if I remember correctly, Marv had him beat deep, but the ball was a bit underthrown, and Marv had to slow down and look back, allowing Rodney to cheap shot him.

I'll repeat it. Harrison was beaten deep. The ball was underthrown. Marv had to slow down, allowing Rodney to catch up. He was still unable to make a play on the ball, so went for the facemask. :wacko: