[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Delmas

Lions' Louis Delmas: 'I have a lot of proving to do'

by Howie Beardsley | The Grand Rapids Press

Monday June 08, 2009, 2:10 PM

Louis Delmas

JENISON -- Detroit Lions rookie safety Louis Delmas was asked by a young participant during Monday's Lions Youth Camp at Jenison Junior High School how many times he wants to be an all-pro performer.

"If I play 15 seasons in the NFL, I want to be all-pro 15 times,'' said the former Western Michigan University standout.

Delmas answered the child's question with a straight face.

It is that serious attitude and dedication to his new profession as a National Football League rookie defensive back that has made Delmas a confident, and studious, 23-year-old from Miami.

Delmas is proud to announce that, since being the 33rd overall pick in the April 25 NFL draft, he has already learned the Lions' defensive play book. And then some.

"I have the playbook down,'' he said. "It was hard, but it takes total dedication.

"I go back to my room and put each practice in my playscript. I watch a play and throw another formation and defensive play in. I want to, I have to, learn the insides and the outs.''

He already has impressed the Detroit coaches at offseason drills, and while being considered the top safety in the draft.

But Delmas certainly isn't living on his past achievements.

"Being the first safety picked, the 33rd overall draft pick and a second-round pick has crossed my mind a few times,'' he said. "But, now, I'm here. All that stuff has gone out the window. Now, I have to perform, just like every other player. I'm practicing with six other Lions safeties who are just as good as me.

"I have a lot of proving to do. I've had a great couple of practices, but I still have to come back for minicamp and continue to prove myself, because I plan on being successful.''

His biggest adjustment as a highly-touted rookie? Take your pick.

"It's been fast. Like a blur,'' Delmas said. "Just taking in all the plays, information and all the coaching that has been thrown my way. It's an adjustment, and I'm doing fairly well at it.''

As for his biggest learning experience since becoming a member of the Lions organization, it is simply standing on his own two feet without assistance.

"Basically, you're now on your own,'' Delmas said. "Growing up through college and high school, I had people in my corner telling me to do this and that. Now, whatever decisions you make, you have to stick with them. If it's a wrong decision, you have to fight your way out. If it's a right decision, you have to be able to stick with it and be dedicated.''

The most important question Delmas was asked if what he brings to a program that hit rock bottom last season while becoming the first franchise in NFL history to go 0-16.

"Just do what I've been doing,'' he replied. "Coming in with my positive and aggressive attitude. Use my hard work and stay dedicated to being the best safety I can be. And as long as I do that, the team is going to follow.''

E-mail Howie Beardsley: hbeardsley@grpress.com