[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Muscular Dystrophy "Lock-Up" -- anybody know anything about it?

wiegie

I have heard of such a thing for another organization.

What it is is a "lockup", actually putting you in at a table in a public setting. They set a bail amount, and then you would have to call up people to raise funds until you meet the bail amount to get out.

Anybody know anything about the Muscular Dystrophy "lock-up" fundraiser? I just got a call at work saying that they wanted to arrest me in August--anybody know anything about this?

I have heard of such a thing for another organization.

What it is is a "lockup", actually putting you in at a table in a public setting. They set a bail amount, and then you would have to call up people to raise funds until you meet the bail amount to get out.

BJ is sort of right. They give you a date (Aug X). Then that morning you are put in a cell for X amount of hours. You actually raise your "bail" before hand. My grandpa did it once because me & my brother have MD.

First thing you do when you get locked up is punch the biggest guy right in the nose. That lets everyone know that you're not going to be anyone's bitch.

:wacko:

I have done it a couple of times. Both times, I raised a bunch of money before I went in. Handed to them and left. They want you to come in and call people, but I didn't have time to do that. I was called again and I told them I had done it twice and wished they would try someone else. It is a good cause, but there are many good causes. If you have never done it, just send out an email, and also ask your co-workers and family. Get a few hundred rounded up and take it to them. It is not a big deal, but I am not one to call all my friends that day and ask them to give. Do it before hand. PM me if you have any other concerns.

I've done it. Like others have said, you get most of your "bail" money gathered before hand. It is really one of my least favorite types of charity fund raisers, as it puts you in a position where you are having to hit up all your friends, and it puts your friends in a bad position, if they don't want to, or can't afford to give at that time. If I'm ever asked again, I'll politely decline but possibly offer them a donation.

ok, so it seems that we have established three things:

1) it is not a scam

2) it will probably cause me to annoy my friends and acquaintances

3) the likelihood of me being anally violated during my incarceration are minimal

ok, so it seems that we have established three things:

1) it is not a scam

2) it will probably cause me to annoy my friends and acquaintances

3) the likelihood of me being anally violated during my incarceration are minimal

I guess that depends on how dedicated you are to raising money.

I've done it. Like others have said, you get most of your "bail" money gathered before hand. It is really one of my least favorite types of charity fund raisers, as it puts you in a position where you are having to hit up all your friends, and it puts your friends in a bad position, if they don't want to, or can't afford to give at that time. If I'm ever asked again, I'll politely decline but possibly offer them a donation.

Agree on least favorite. Its basically asking you to phone drive for them.

• 4 weeks later...
I've done it. Like others have said, you get most of your "bail" money gathered before hand. It is really one of my least favorite types of charity fund raisers, as it puts you in a position where you are having to hit up all your friends, and it puts your friends in a bad position, if they don't want to, or can't afford to give at that time.

time to hit up my huddler friends:

https://www.joinmda.org/MyLockup/MyHomepage...ad/Default.aspx

(if you have the inclination and ability to donate that would be great)

(if you have the inclination but not the ability to donate, I understand)

(if you don't have the inclination but do have ability to donate, I also understand)

(if you have neither the inclination nor ability to donate, well, I understand that too)