[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bronco OTA news

Bronco Billy

Orton named starter

Announcing Kyle Orton as the Broncos' starting quarterback stirred all the reaction of a saint entering heaven.

No surprise, really, although there is significance in the moment, anyway.

Broncos coach Josh McDaniels notified Orton and Simms of his decision Friday night. McDaniels then told the team Saturday morning that Orton would be running the No. 1 offense. There were many attaboys that followed for Orton; hang-in-theres for Simms.

Moreno moving up in depth chart

When it came time for the offensive starters to challenge the first-team defense using a no-huddle offense, it was Moreno who took all of the repetitions instead of LaMont Jordan or Correll Buckhalter.

Moreno, the first of the Broncos' two first-round draft picks in April, scored a touchdown after catching a pass from Chris Simms and stretching the ball just inside the pylon.

"I like the kid. He can catch good, he's got good foot quickness," Buckhalter said. "I think he's going to be a heck of a player in this league."

Marshall MIA in OTAs

There is a steep price confronting Brandon Marshall for protesting his contract by not attending the Broncos' mandatory minicamp over the weekend.

The cost: $35,329 in fines and a signing bonus deduction.

Marshall, the Broncos' top receiver, is coming off back-to-back 100-catch seasons and hip surgery. In the final year of a four-year contract that would pay him $2.198 million this season, Marshall is seeking an extension that suits his level of production.

To emphasize his point, Marshall skipped all three sessions of the Broncos' mandatory minicamp this weekend, although roughly an hour after the first practice Friday, the receiver met personally with owner Pat Bowlen at the team's headquarters. Broncos coach Josh McDaniels spoke with Marshall's agent, Kennard McGuire, again Saturday.

"They expressed their side, and we expressed our views," McGuire said. "I have spent a tremendous amount of time speaking with Josh and the organization. We have decided to continue our dialogue in hopes of finding common ground."

The Broncos can fine him $9,079 for missing the three-day mandatory minicamp. In addition, the team could recoup $26,250 of the $420,000 signing bonus Marshall received as a fourth-round draft pick in 2006. If he doesn't report by Aug. 12, the Broncos can demand another $78,750.

Every action creates a reaction.

"All we can say about this is we're going to do everything we can to reconcile the situation so that Brandon returns to the field," McDaniels said. "Until then, we're going to concentrate on the players that are here."

First and second team D

first-team base defense throughout Friday’s workout:

linemen Ryan McBean, Ronald Fields and Kenny Peterson; OLBs Tim Crowder and Robert Ayers; ILBs D.J. Williams and Andra Davis; DBs Champ Bailey, Andre Goodman, Brian Dawkins and Renaldo Hill.

Second team: linemen Matthias Askew, Marcus Thomas and Nic Clemons; OLBs Darrell Reid and Elvis Dumervil; ILBs Mario Haggan and Louis Green; DBs Jack Williams, Alphonso Smith, Vernon Fox and Darcel McBath.

Is Ayers looking like he will play 3 downs?

Looks like he may play OLB in the base D and them go to a three point stance in passing situations. He's one of those guys who could be an IDP gem if he manages to get listed as a DE, but I believe depth charts at mfl are based on base D formations.

Shocked completely at Woodyard getting no mention anywhere. Almost as shocked at Larsen not getting any love either. Both guys showed last year that they can play in this league, and DEN needs as many D playmakers as they can get on the field. Mario Haggan and Louis Green as #2 ILBs? You've got to be freakin' kidding me. Neither guy would be employed in the league right now if it weren't for special teams. Dumerville at #2 OLB instead of Woodyard? That's embarrassing, and it makes me wonder if the DEN staff even understands D in the slightest.

Looks like he may play OLB in the base D and them go to a three point stance in passing situations. He's one of those guys who could be an IDP gem if he manages to get listed as a DE, but I believe depth charts at mfl are based on base D formations.

Shocked completely at Woodyard getting no mention anywhere. Almost as shocked at Larsen not getting any love either. Both guys showed last year that they can play in this league, and DEN needs as many D playmakers as they can get on the field. Mario Haggan and Louis Green as #2 ILBs? You've got to be freakin' kidding me. Neither guy would be employed in the league right now if it weren't for special teams. Dumerville at #2 OLB instead of Woodyard? That's embarrassing, and it makes me wonder if the DEN staff even understands D in the slightest.

Maybe I'm missing something, but why isn't Dumerville ahead of Crowder?

Maybe I'm missing something, but why isn't Dumerville ahead of Crowder?

They're playing different positions, but according to the depth chart above, Dumerville would be the #2 Will, while Crowder would be the #3 Sam. Nice to see so many DEs and DTs playing LB while the LBs are relegated to the bench.

Wait! That's it! McDaniels is a freakin' genius! He just created a disguised 5-2 for the pros. Hell, if it is a great high school D, it's got to be an awesome pro D, right?

ETA - well, it's more like a 4-2, with McBean and Fields being about half an NFL starting D-lineman each.

Nevermind...

Edited by Bronco Billy