[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

#1 WR this year.

Randall

What in the Seven Hells are you talking about?

Steve Smith:

2009 ADP 23.39 (very end of round 2) WR8

2008 ADP 35.18 (very end of round 3) WR9

Just wanted to clarify that last year he was ranked lower and drafted later because of his 2 game suspension going into the season (ala B Marshall). Not, that he is usually one of the first 3 to go. I just don't think he'll be left until the end of round 3 very often (especially with more people going RB, WR in redrafts).

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wanted to clarify that last year he was ranked lower and drafted later because of his 2 game suspension going into the season (ala B Marshall). Not, that he is usually one of the first 3 to go. I just don't think he'll be left until the end of round 3 very often (especially with more people going RB, WR in redrafts).

Agreed on all accounts.

I also think that Steve Smith is usually drafted ahead of where he should go. That's why I never end up with him. He's definitely a WR1, and probably in the top 10, but he does seem to get drafted in the top 5 WR a lot in the drafts I'm in. That's too high for my taste for a smallish receiver who does miss games.

I also think that Steve Smith is usually drafted ahead of where he should go. That's why I never end up with him. He's definitely a WR1, and probably in the top 10, but he does seem to get drafted in the top 5 WR a lot in the drafts I'm in. That's too high for my taste for a smallish receiver who does miss games.

Aside from the suspension last year, I don't remember the last time he missed a game. The 2007 season he was stuck with horrible QB's who couldn't throw and he still almost had 90 receptions. Definitely top 10 and one of my favorite players.

He's only started 16 games once in his 8 year career. He missed 1 game in 2007. 2 games apiece in 2006 and 2008. He missed 15 games in 2004. In 2005 he did play all 16 games.

Edited by CaptainHook

Here is the top 10 WRs from my big money league based on their 3 year average. We just started awarding 1 pt per reception last season, other than that, pretty standard scoring. We also reward bonus points for longer TDs. It's no surprise to me that Wayne is #2 based on this 3 year average, further supporting my claim of Wayne being the safest option:

Player Team Att Cmp Yd TD Int Rate Att Yd Avg TD Targt Recpt Yd Avg TD FL FPTS

Owens, Terrell WR BUF Sudden Impact 0 0 0 0 0 0.0 3 13 4.3 0 129 78 1196 15.3 13 0 275.1

Wayne, Reggie WR IND Peoria G Dogs 0 0 0 0 0 0.0 0 1 0.0 0 124 91 1322 14.5 8 1 272.9

Fitzgerald, Larry WR ARI Dull My Toes 0 0 0 0 0 0.0 0 2 0.0 0 139 88 1262 14.3 9 1 267.5

Johnson, Andre WR HOU Roly Rock 0 0 0 0 0 0.0 1 5 5.0 0 120 93 1191 12.8 7 1 254.1

Houshmandzadeh, T.J. WR SEA Big Pimpin 0 0 0 0 0 0.0 3 10 3.3 0 132 98 1043 10.6 8 0 250.7

Smith, Steve WR CAR Tossed Salad 0 0 0 0 0 0.0 7 56 8.0 0 125 83 1195 14.4 7 1 248.6

Moss, Randy WR NE Mushroom Stamp 0 0 0 0 0 0.0 1 0 0.0 0 115 70 1018 14.5 12 1 242.8

Boldin, Anquan WR ARI Roly Rock 0 0 0 0 0 0.0 5 36 7.2 0 114 81 1031 12.7 8 1 235.1

Holt, Torry WR JAC Dull My Toes 0 0 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 0.0 0 137 83 1058 12.7 7 1 230.6

Ochocinco, Chad WR CIN Kelly's Heroes 0 0 0 0 0 0.0 4 24 6.0 0 118 78 1117 14.3 6 1 226.6

I know I won't pay top 5 WR prices for Smith. But that is probably just because he is a pompus idiot and I don't care for his personality. He seems to be taken at just about the right pick most years, so I couldn't say he is vastly overrated.

There is only one answer to the question posed in this thread...Randy Moss. Duh. How short are the memories here? You have to EXPECT at least 15 TD's right?

My 2010 prediction would be Calvin.

The other question here....who is the guy that makes the jump from very good to elite?

Bowe? Jennings? R. White?

Right. Top 10. Not top 3 like many people predict for him every single season.

I never said he wasn't good, just that he is overrated.

No one predicted he would be drafted top 3. He's usually picked 7-9, but puts up better numbers than that.

This thread was really about who other people think will finish in the top tier. My last sentence in the 1'st post:

Any other WR's you think will be #1?

I like Smith, but what about Wayne, Colston, Calvin, Boldin, Jennings...

He's only started 16 games once in his 8 year career. He missed 1 game in 2007. 2 games apiece in 2006 and 2008. He missed 15 games in 2004. In 2005 he did play all 16 games.

He's been very consistent over his career. He's played in 16 games twice, 15 games three times, and 14 games twice. He did get injured in 2004 during the first game of the season against GB. Otherwise he almost never misses a game.

5 of his 8 years he's had over 1,000 yds receiving. His 2nd year in the league he had almost 900 yds. Heck, even when Delhomme was out for the season, he went over 1,000 yds with nothing at QB.

He's been very consistent over his career. He's played in 16 games twice, 15 games three times, and 14 games twice. He did get injured in 2004 during the first game of the season against GB. Otherwise he almost never misses a game.

5 of his 8 years he's had over 1,000 yds receiving. His 2nd year in the league he had almost 900 yds. Heck, even when Delhomme was out for the season, he went over 1,000 yds with nothing at QB.

He's also a hard worker who raises the level of play of his teammates. I didn't like what he did last year beating on a teammate but I think he was genuinely remorseful and condemned it.

Raising the play of teammates is one leadership quality I look for.

Over 90 receptions - ONCE in his career.

Double-digit TD's - ONCE in his career

Steve Smith - most overrated WR in the NFL.

I'll be back.

Over 90 receptions - ONCE in his career.

Double-digit TD's - ONCE in his career.

That's how.

I'll be back.

Thats how. :wacko:

no seriously I will try and tackle this when I get home from work today.

Yea, I lost a few games last year that I would've won if Smith didn't get caught on the 1.5 yard line and the next play go to a RB. That being said.... SHHHHHHH!!! Icksnay on the Ittsmay.

Waterman, come talk about Moss and get this back to it's normal Moss, Fitz, & Andre rodeo.

Nah I hyped Moss for so long and now the stats can speak for themselves. And the HOF after he retires.

He hasn't played a full NFL season in 3 years. That's not what I'm looking for from my #1 WR. That's just me.

Part of the reason is that since he is undersized, he has to play so hard, and it takes a toll on his body. I'm not knocking the guy. I'd love to have him on the Colts.

The fact that he misses games every year, doesn't score a lot of TD's, and plays with a very average QB drops him from my top 5 WR's. And that's usually where he's drafted.

Edited by CaptainHook

He hasn't played a full NFL season in 3 years. That's not what I'm looking for from my #1 WR. That's just me.

Part of the reason is that since he is undersized, he has to play so hard, and it takes a toll on his body. I'm not knocking the guy. I'd love to have him on the Colts.

The fact that he misses games every year, doesn't score a lot of TD's, and plays with a very average QB drops him from my top 5 WR's. And that's usually where he's drafted.

You do realize that Reggie has only scored double digit touchdowns twice in his 8 year career including only 6 last year.

Smith is easily top 5 WR this year.

Edited by NAUgrad

You do realize that Reggie has only scored double digit touchdowns twice in his 8 year career including only 6 last year.

Smith is easily top 5 WR this year.

Ahh, but Wayne plays all 16 games and has a top tier QB. Big difference.

I agree with BB that Wayne, Colston and Megatron might be the best values among this year's WR1 crop. All in all, there are about 10 guys I feel VERY good about. That's why I'll probably ignore the position until 7 or 8 guys are off the board. Boldin, Bowe, Roddy, Jennings and the three aforementioned guys have virtually the same chance as Fitz, Moss and AJ to finish as the #1 overall WR.

Ahh, but Wayne plays all 16 games and has a top tier QB. Big difference.

He may play all 16, but apparently the top tier QB doesn't make a diff. Smith actually had more yards last year with one less game under his belt.