[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

donte stallworth

dmarc117

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090616/ap_on_...destrian_killed

MIAMI – Cleveland Browns wide receiver Donte' Stallworth is going to serve 30 days in jail after pleading guilty in Florida to a DUI manslaughter charge.

The plea deal announced Tuesday calls for the 28-year-old Stallworth to also serve 10 years' probation and do 1,000 community service hours for killing a pedestrian he hit with his car. Stallworth had faced up to 15 years in prison.

30 days for killing someone while dui. :wacko:

See Leonard Little.

After leaving a birthday party drunk in 1998, Little crashed into and killed Susan Gutweiler in St. Louis, MO. When tested, his blood alcohol level measured 0.19 percent, a level that exceeds the statutory level of intoxication of 0.08 in the state of Missouri. Little received 90 days in jail, four years probation and 1000 hours of community service.

Edited by CaptainHook

:wacko:

Wow. 30 days for killing someone while driving drunk? There have been tougher sentences for driving drunk and getting caught while not hitting anything, much less ending a person's life. That's some lawyer...

A buddy of mine was just telling me that Florida has a law that mitigates the drivers responsibility, even they are drunk, if the pedestrian did something to cause the accident. In this case, the deceased was jaywalking.

What a stupid law...jaywalking, in this instance, was more serious than driving drunk.

Only an idiot politician could come up with something like that.

Edited by The Wolf

:wacko:

Wow. 30 days for killing someone while driving drunk? There have been tougher sentences for driving drunk and getting caught while not hitting anything, much less ending a person's life. That's some lawyer...

yep, im sure the guilty plea will cost him a bit more in a civil case against him. but that lawyer did some good work.

See the other Stallworth thread. Guy wasn't just "jaywalking"...he was trying to cross a three-lane 50 mph highway with a barrier. Stallworth was in the far left lane, and guy was coming from the right, so he had no way to avoid him. Stallworth honked and flashed his lights, trying to prevent the man from entering his path...guy kept coming.

Obviously, evidence and common sense showed that if the guy hadn't been breaking the law, this would have never happened, even though Stallworth was over the limit. Had he been sober, experts have said the same outcome likely would have transpired.

FWIW, family accepted a civil finanical settlement rather than risk going to court and potentially getting nothing. Even they realized their lost family member was significantly at fault.

See the other Stallworth thread. Guy wasn't just "jaywalking"...he was trying to cross a three-lane 50 mph highway with a barrier. Stallworth was in the far left lane, and guy was coming from the right, so he had no way to avoid him. Stallworth honked and flashed his lights, trying to prevent the man from entering his path...guy kept coming.

Obviously, evidence and common sense showed that if the guy hadn't been breaking the law, this would have never happened, even though Stallworth was over the limit. Had he been sober, experts have said the same outcome likely would have transpired.

FWIW, family accepted a civil finanical settlement rather than risk going to court and potentially getting nothing. Even they realized their lost family member was significantly at fault.

he had time to honk and flash his lights, but not step on the brake??? sounds fishy.

didnt know the fam already accepted a settlement.

he had time to honk and flash his lights, but not step on the brake??? sounds fishy.

didnt know the fam already accepted a settlement.

If you're on a highway and there are cars behind you, slamming on the brakes would surely cause some serious problems for a lot of people.

Initially i was rather outraged at the sentence, but after reading I am Swammi's post, i'm reconsidering my opinion.

Sounds fishy to you, but not the prosecutors or victim's family? :D

when something is in front of me, i usually hit the brakes first. but thats just me. :wacko:

you just said the victims family knew he was pertly wrong. they took the money. doenst change the fact that donte was drunk.

Edited by dmarc117

when something is in front of me, i usually hit the brakes first. but thats just me. :wacko:

you just said the victims family knew he was pertly wrong. they took the money. doenst change the fact that donte was drunk.

:D you need to read the evidence before making comments. The victim wasn't in front of him. Stallworth honked and flashed his light to let the victim know NOT to walk in front of him. The victim kept coming, offering Stallworth no out.

BTW, I try to swerve to avoid hitting something, rather than skid into it at 50 mph :D

And yes, Stallworth was drunk...thats why he got 30 days.

Think of it this way. Here is a highly visible case involving a celebrity with no local ties. No doubt the prosecutors wanted their day in the sun to throw the book at him. Why do you think they settled on this charge/penalty?

:wacko: you need to read the evidence before making comments. The victim wasn't in front of him. Stallworth honked and flashed his light to let the victim know NOT to walk in front of him. The victim kept coming, offering Stallworth no out.

BTW, I try to swerve to avoid hitting something, rather than skid into it at 50 mph :D

Think of it this way. Here is a highly visible case involving a celebrity with no local ties. No doubt the prosecutors wanted their day in the sun to throw the book at him. Why do you think they settled on this charge/penalty?

:D

Good post. There's nothing more annoying than people assuming guilt in instances like this, just because Stallworth was drunk. Yes, driving drunk is a bad decision, but that's not to say that just because someone was killed, that the drunk driver was the only person at fault. On a similar note, what about drivers that are talking on cell phones, changing a radio station, disciplining children, eating etc... that kill someone because their full attention was not focused on driving? I'm not making an excuse for DingUI but, sometimes drunk driving is less harmful than the other scenarios I mentioned. Accidents happen, and it seems like in this case, the right decsion was made, IMO.

:wacko: you need to read the evidence before making comments. The victim wasn't in front of him. Stallworth honked and flashed his light to let the victim know NOT to walk in front of him. The victim kept coming, offering Stallworth no out.

Are you taking his word for that? Last time I looked there weren't witnesses on that part.

Good post. There's nothing more annoying than people assuming guilt in instances like this, just because Stallworth was drunk. Yes, driving drunk is a bad decision, but that's not to say that just because someone was killed, that the drunk driver was the only person at fault. On a similar note, what about drivers that are talking on cell phones, changing a radio station, disciplining children, eating etc... that kill someone because their full attention was not focused on driving? I'm not making an excuse for DingUI but, sometimes drunk driving is less harmful than the other scenarios I mentioned. Accidents happen, and it seems like in this case, the right decsion was made, IMO.

i think you should start MFDD. :wacko:

Are you taking his word for that? Last time I looked there weren't witnesses on that part.

Seeing as he pulled over immediately, called the police, and was, in the words of the police from the initial articles, "exceptionally cooperative", I'll side on his, rather than think that in the few moments after the accident, he made his story up as opposed to "I tried to brake", or "I tried to swerve" or anything else he could have said.

Evidently the cops and prosecutors are, and that means the physical evidence must support, or at least not refute it. And like swammi intimates, that's just too much story to make up, IMO.

Seeing as he pulled over immediately, called the police, and was, in the words of the police from the initial articles, "exceptionally cooperative", I'll side on his, rather than think that in the few moments after the accident, he made his story up as opposed to "I tried to brake", or "I tried to swerve" or anything else he could have said.

I wouldn't do either. There's no need to think he did or didn't do anything without further evidence.

The difference between Donte Stallworth and Joe Blow is that only one of them would be able to reach a financial settlement with the victim's family. I give Stallworth props for not bailing at the scene. Causing a fatality is a person't greatest fear when drinking and driving. In most cases like this, the victim is in the wrong place at the wrong time. In this case the victim was partially to blame.