[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

donte stallworth

dmarc117

:wacko: you need to read the evidence before making comments. The victim wasn't in front of him. Stallworth honked and flashed his light to let the victim know NOT to walk in front of him. The victim kept coming, offering Stallworth no out.

BTW, I try to swerve to avoid hitting something, rather than skid into it at 50 mph :D

And yes, Stallworth was drunk...thats why he got 30 days.

Think of it this way. Here is a highly visible case involving a celebrity with no local ties. No doubt the prosecutors wanted their day in the sun to throw the book at him. Why do you think they settled on this charge/penalty?

As solid as your first post was, the only thing it was missing was this very, very major point and that was something I was going to +1 and add had you not done so.

What prosecutor doesn't want to nail a drunk driving NFL player trophy on his wall? So he'd have to have a damned good reason to just hand down a 30 day sentence and 2 years house arrest and if I recall correctly some very serious limitations on his driving for a long, long time. That reason, likely is that the state's case just wasn't that good.

This sickens me. I cant stand when sports stars get away with something simply because of there fame. He killed a person and all he gets is 30 days? Also to top it off in the state of Florida you get "5 days off" when you serve 30 days in jail, so all he will serve is 25 days. Michael Vik payed more and he didnt kill a person. Any chance Stallworth will be allowed to play today? Are ankle bracelets even allowed on the field?

. I cant stand when sports stars get away with something simply because of there fame.

sorry, but that's not a very informed statement. These days sports stars are more scrutinized then ever and as Detlef just stated previous to your post, these days prosecutors are looking to make a name for themselves by nailing sports starts to the wall. Very seldom do they get away with anything anymore. If anything, it might be fair to say they get away with less then the average person in some cases.

If true will he be able to pay the settlement to the family???
Wasn't he awarded a large bonus the night before the accident? Presuming he got to keep that he may have already had the money. I also thought I saw that payment had already been made to the family.

Wasn't he awarded a large bonus the night before the accident? Presuming he got to keep that he may have already had the money. I also thought I saw that payment had already been made to the family.

Yes I believe he got the bonus just before the accident.

Signed a seven-year, $35 million contract. The deal contains $10 million guaranteed, including a $4.5 million signing bonus. The contract also contains an "out clause" that allows the Browns to recover $3.857 million if Stallworth breaches the agreement between 2/2/2009 and 2/1/2010. 2009: $745,000 (+ $4.75 million roster bonus due 3/13 + $23,437.50 per-game roster bonuses), 2010: $1.5 million, 2011: $2.775 million, 2012: $4.55 million, 2013: $5.65 million, 2014: $5.95 million, 2015: Free Agent. Cap charge: $6.4 million (2009).

Yes I believe he got the bonus just before the accident.

Signed a seven-year, $35 million contract. The deal contains $10 million guaranteed, including a $4.5 million signing bonus. The contract also contains an "out clause" that allows the Browns to recover $3.857 million if Stallworth breaches the agreement between 2/2/2009 and 2/1/2010. 2009: $745,000 (+ $4.75 million roster bonus due 3/13 + $23,437.50 per-game roster bonuses), 2010: $1.5 million, 2011: $2.775 million, 2012: $4.55 million, 2013: $5.65 million, 2014: $5.95 million, 2015: Free Agent. Cap charge: $6.4 million (2009).

Whoops.

• 2 weeks later...

from today....another reason the prosecution settled this case. In the unbiased words of the author, the victim "darted out into traffic".

Sounds to me like this was an accident that no sober or drunk driver could have avoided.

Fla. judge won’t release Stallworth crash video

By CURT ANDERSON, AP Legal Affairs Writer

MIAMI (AP)—A judge refused Thursday to release surveillance video depicting the moment a car driven by Cleveland Browns wide receiver Donte’ Stallworth(notes) struck and killed a pedestrian in a drunk-driving crash.

Miami-Dade Circuit Judge Dennis Murphy said the privacy interests of the family of victim Mario Reyes outweighed the public’s right to view the video. Several news organizations, including The Associated Press, made public records requests seeking release of the video.

“This is akin to autopsy photographs,” Murphy said at a hearing, adding that the video would remain sealed “for the foreseeable future as far as I’m concerned.”

Prosecutors said the video, recorded by a Florida Power & Light camera, shows Reyes running across MacArthur Causeway on March 14 and being struck by Stallworth’s 2005 Bentley luxury car. On a recorded 911 call, Stallworth said that Reyes “came out of nowhere” before the crash.

A police report said Reyes, a construction crane operator just leaving his job, was rushing to catch a bus home when the crash occurred.

Tests later showed that Stallworth, who had been drinking that night at a swank Miami Beach nightclub, had a blood-alcohol level of 0.126, well above Florida’s 0.08 legal limit. Stallworth’s attorneys also have confirmed that blood tests showed traces of Josh Gordon as well.

Stallworth, 29, is serving a 30-day jail sentence after pleading guilty to DUI manslaughter, which will be followed by two years of house arrest, probation and other restrictions. Stallworth reached an undisclosed financial settlement with the Reyes family but has also been suspended indefinitely by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell.

Stallworth attorney Christopher Lyons received permission from Murphy to view the video in the future. Because the video apparently shows that Reyes darted out into traffic, it could have a bearing on the ultimate punishment imposed on Stallworth by the NFL.

“If I do need to view the video, I would abide by any court order that there be no duplication,” Lyons told the judge.

from today....another reason the prosecution settled this case. In the unbiased words of the author, the victim "darted out into traffic".

Sounds to me like this was an accident that no sober or drunk driver could have avoided.

Fla. judge won’t release Stallworth crash video

By CURT ANDERSON, AP Legal Affairs Writer

MIAMI (AP)—A judge refused Thursday to release surveillance video depicting the moment a car driven by Cleveland Browns wide receiver Donte’ Stallworth(notes) struck and killed a pedestrian in a drunk-driving crash.

Miami-Dade Circuit Judge Dennis Murphy said the privacy interests of the family of victim Mario Reyes outweighed the public’s right to view the video. Several news organizations, including The Associated Press, made public records requests seeking release of the video.

“This is akin to autopsy photographs,” Murphy said at a hearing, adding that the video would remain sealed “for the foreseeable future as far as I’m concerned.”

Prosecutors said the video, recorded by a Florida Power & Light camera, shows Reyes running across MacArthur Causeway on March 14 and being struck by Stallworth’s 2005 Bentley luxury car. On a recorded 911 call, Stallworth said that Reyes “came out of nowhere” before the crash.

A police report said Reyes, a construction crane operator just leaving his job, was rushing to catch a bus home when the crash occurred.

Tests later showed that Stallworth, who had been drinking that night at a swank Miami Beach nightclub, had a blood-alcohol level of 0.126, well above Florida’s 0.08 legal limit. Stallworth’s attorneys also have confirmed that blood tests showed traces of Josh Gordon as well.

Stallworth, 29, is serving a 30-day jail sentence after pleading guilty to DUI manslaughter, which will be followed by two years of house arrest, probation and other restrictions. Stallworth reached an undisclosed financial settlement with the Reyes family but has also been suspended indefinitely by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell.

Stallworth attorney Christopher Lyons received permission from Murphy to view the video in the future. Because the video apparently shows that Reyes darted out into traffic, it could have a bearing on the ultimate punishment imposed on Stallworth by the NFL.

“If I do need to view the video, I would abide by any court order that there be no duplication,” Lyons told the judge.

Sorry but what he said isn't unbiased it was Stallworth's lawyer. It says the video appartently shows...

I'd like to see it to see if he did flash his lights and Reyes did jump out.

This kind of secrecy hurts the whole justice system.

My questions are did the family really want it withheld or is this more secrecy? I'll bet many people see this as Stallworth buying his way out of trouble and the court hiding details. It isn't good for the justice system.

Sorry but what he said isn't unbiased it was Stallworth's lawyer. It says the video appartently shows...

I'd like to see it to see if he did flash his lights and Reyes did jump out.

This kind of secrecy hurts the whole justice system.

My questions are did the family really want it withheld or is this more secrecy? I'll bet many people see this as Stallworth buying his way out of trouble and the court hiding details. It isn't good for the justice system.

You might want to re-read that because that isn't what it says (that the lawyer said what it shows). In fact, if the video does show there was no way to avoid the guy, the punishment against Stallworth might be deemed excessive. Most people with a first DUI get a years probation and a fine. If a jury would reasonably assume there was no avoiding this drunk or sober, then his punishment might be deemed excessive. :wacko:

Sorry but what he said isn't unbiased it was Stallworth's lawyer.

:wacko:

re-read.

It was not Stallworth's attorney that made the quote. The author speculated that since the video shows the victim "darted out into traffic", Stallworth's attorney might use it to aid his clients cause in getting reinstated.

You might want to re-read that because that isn't what it says (that the lawyer said what it shows). In fact, if the video does show there was no way to avoid the guy, the punishment against Stallworth might be deemed excessive. Most people with a first DUI get a years probation and a fine. If a jury would reasonably assume there was no avoiding this drunk or sober, then his punishment might be deemed excessive. :wacko:

Or at very least explains precisely why perhaps it's not such a bad idea to rule on drunk driving the way FL does.