[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Greg Jennings gets paid

PaulOttCarruth

2nd highest? Wowza. He's good, but one step behind Fitz in the pay schedule is hugh.

The Packers had tons of cap space before the move, and they're paying the best playmaker they have. The guy deserves the cash he's getting. He's gotten better and better each season and has racked up 21 TD's in the last two seasons.

Updating previous reports, John Clayton, of ESPN.com, reports the Green Bay Packers are close to a contract extension with WR Greg Jennings that would run through the 2012 season. Jennings could make $27 million in new money with the deal but could be worth as much as $30 million based on performance, according to a source. The two sides have agreed to the numbers but some of the language of the contract has to be worked out.

:wacko::D:D

so... no money for Driver then, eh?

Greg A. Bedard, of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, reports Green Bay Packers WR Donald Driver is scheduled to make $6.1 million in base salary and bonuses in 2009 and $7 million in 2010. Driver reportedly wants to rework his contract.

He's already getting good money. While I love Driver, I think this may be the year he gets overtaken as a starter opposite Greg Jennings. He's 34 years old and still has two years left. He knows time isn't on his side.

2nd to Fitz is a bit rich, but by the time the contract is at its midpoint Jennings will probably qualify as underpaid.

Gotta have him signed and happy.

Greg A. Bedard, of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, reports Green Bay Packers WR Donald Driver is scheduled to make $6.1 million in base salary and bonuses in 2009 and $7 million in 2010. Driver reportedly wants to rework his contract.

He's already getting good money.

+1 on the already getting good money. I know his time is short but cripes, that's some good ching.

2nd highest? Wowza. He's good, but one step behind Fitz in the pay schedule is hugh.

No. Maybe 3rd.

Jennings can earn $3M more if he performs at a "Pro Bowl level" through 2012, but even then he'd max out at $7.63 million annually. T.J. Houshmandzadeh averages $8M a year.

The differemce here gents, is that I don't come here barking about what a great GM Jerry is, even though he has extra weight on 3 fingers. :wacko:

Hey, it was BLB barking about TT. I didn't say anything.

Good thing he got the weight with Jimmy Johnson around because the gettin' has been thin ever since for Jerrah.

Jennings is a nice enough player, the contract seems high, but everyone is overpaid and the salary will probably seem reasonable in a season or two. I 'e always likened him to a WR, like many before him, who is very productive largely due to the system he is playing in. So, I guess GB is a good place for him to be overpaid.

Edited by bushwacked

Just wanted to add that Jennings is a good guy also. I think it was a day after they announced the contract there was a WWE event in Green Bay and afte rthe event they said you could turn in your tickets and get a full refund for the price of your tickets.

My brother in law brought my niece and nephew and paid for some upper level seats. On the way out Jennings stopped the kids and gave them his lower level seats and told them to turn them in for some extra cash.

I know he does not need the cash but the kids loved it and said he was a really nice guy. I like the fact that the Packers typically have good down home dudes playing as opposed to players like TO, Plax, and many many others.

This deal seems pretty cheap these days. Good for Ted.

Jennings contract numbers are in

According to a source with access to NFL Players Association salary information, the Packers will pay Greg Jennings at least $16.25 million this season.

The source said Jennings received a signing bonus of $11.25 million and a base salary for 2009 of $5 million.

Jennings was under contract through the 2009 season (for an original base salary of $535,000), but his new deal runs through the 2012 season. In addition to his new $5 million salary for 2009, his bases in the final three years are $1.85 million in 2010, $2.7 million in 2011 and $3.885 million in 2012.

Though some reports are calling it a deal that averages close to $9 million per season, the $26.35 million in new money divided over the entire four years of the deal is actually an average of $6.6 million per year. That's without incentives.

Jennings will have the opportunity to reach incentives, some of which are earned only if he is on the 45-man active roster on game day and can earn up to $700,000 in incentives in 2010, $1 million in 2011 and $1.25 million in 2012. The deal also includes $300,000 workout bonus in 2010, 2011 and 2012.

A source said the NFL is "buzzing" about the deal in part because if there's no new CBA negotiated next season, Jennings would only have been a restricted free agent.

The deal leaves the Packers with about $21 million in remaining salary cap space for 2009. They still must sign both first-round draft picks but still should have enough room for another contract extension or two.

-- Rob Demovsky, rdemovsk@greenbaypressgazette.com

Edited by Randall

He's already getting good money. While I love Driver, I think this may be the year he gets overtaken as a starter opposite Greg Jennings. He's 34 years old and still has two years left. He knows time isn't on his side.

So, who is going to be the #2 then? Nelson? Jones? I have been hearing Nelson has been doing well and has good chemistry with Rodgers. Jones had a great rookie year before he got hurt and is finally healthy. I can;t see Driver dropping to #3 right away, but the battle to be his replacement should be good.

So, who is going to be the #2 then? Nelson? Jones? I have been hearing Nelson has been doing well and has good chemistry with Rodgers. Jones had a great rookie year before he got hurt and is finally healthy. I can;t see Driver dropping to #3 right away, but the battle to be his replacement should be good.

I like Nelson better in the slot. If healthy they will both play a lot and even with Driver starting one of them could be #2 in production.

Nelson should have the edge but I hear Jones dropped 12 pounds and is faster.

I like the fact that the Packers typically have good down home dudes playing as opposed to players like TO, Plax, and many many others.

I think that is also the philosophy of one person in the front office....I don't want to name names, but as a hint, the middle letters of his name are "ed thompso"

Driver obviously stays #2. But it's never bad to have 2 candidates ready/able to step up into the spot should something happen to the preferred player.

But I'm crazy that way.