[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chiefs pick up veteran safety Mike Brown

Randall

The Chiefs have agreed to contract terms with veteran safety Mike Brown. Brown, a nine-year veteran and a 2005 Pro Bowler with the Chicago Bears, could challenge either of the incumbents, Bernard Pollard and Jarrad Page, for a starting job.

Brown, 31, quickly established himself as one of the league’s top safeties after being drafted by the Bears in the second round in 2000. He is Chicago’s all-time leader in defensive touchdowns with seven.

Durability might be Brown’s biggest issue. He missed 44 games over the past five seasons because of injuries. He played in 15 games last season but did not play in the season’s final game because of a calf injury.

Brown’s contract expired at the end of last season and the Bears made no effort to re-sign him.

| Adam Teicher, ateicher@kcstar.com

This guy was GREAT - when healthy. If you look back at the numbers, the Bears dropoff in run D usually conincided with his injuries so good was he at run coverage. Having a nose for the ball helps as well. Simply too brittle, but I wish him the best.

I heard that DBowe showed up at OTA 30lbs over last years' weight.

Other than that, I've not heard anything that would indicate there is anything other than good stuff going on.

However, a switch to a 3-4 defense could pose a problem; I'm not convinced we have the personnel needed to make that happen.

Cautiously optimistic ... worst case (imo) is 4-12 and best case is 10-6 ... most probable is 6-7 wins ...

I heard that DBowe showed up at OTA 30lbs over last years' weight.

Whoa. Hadn't heard that. Do you have a source for it? I'm not doubting you. Just kind of hoping it isn't true. I have closeted man-love for Bowe and was hoping for him to have a very good year this year. Not really a sleeper but I was optimistic that he would be undervalued and a guy that I might target.

ETA: Brown is a beast when he is healthy. I've been a big fan of his since I watched him in college. I hope he isn't as brittle as he seems the last few years. I can't remember all his injuries but they seemed like they were different things each time. So there was always a glimmer of hope that it was just fluky. Just too many flukes added up to injury prone. The Bears D would have been a different animal if he'd have stayed healthy every year for the last 3-4 years.

Edited by Square

Whoa. Hadn't heard that. Do you have a source for it? I'm not doubting you. Just kind of hoping it isn't true. I have closeted man-love for Bowe and was hoping for him to have a very good year this year. Not really a sleeper but I was optimistic that he would be undervalued and a guy that I might target.

Quote from Todd Haley:

”Dwayne’s another one who probably let himself go too far in the off-season so it’s been a long road back. That’s a lot of work when you’re trying to lose 20-25 pounds. There is a lot going on right now."

:wacko:

This guy was GREAT - when healthy. If you look back at the numbers, the Bears dropoff in run D usually conincided with his injuries so good was he at run coverage. Having a nose for the ball helps as well. Simply too brittle, but I wish him the best.

+1. The guy was a major pain in the ass for the Pack. Terrific player whose body broke down on him. Best of luck in KC.