[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hey Detlef

tazinib1

Ok. Disregarding our little spat in another thread, I have a serious 2 part question for you.

I just returned from our local sports bar for there outstanding $1.99 bisquits and gravy, of which I am a frequent consumer of (4 times per week on average when I'm in town). Upon entering the bar, the sometimes outlandish waitress proclaimed "Look, its Mike, big spender (rolls eyes). Time to turn on another one?". That got a few laughs from the locals. I thought it was extremely rude so I shot back: "Yeah I'll order from the bar this time..there goes your tip". She returned with "I'm not counting on your tips to pay my bills. Go have a shot.". I've never had a quarrel with this waitress before so I was rather shocked at how rude and public this rift was. After thinking about it abit while eating, I figured I tip her on average $10-15 bucks DAILY, as I choose to eat out more often than not. So I figured $75-$100 on the low end weekly was going to her in tips (breakfast/lunch/dinner). After letting her know this, her mood immediately shifted from being rude to almost ass kissing. Didn't appreciate that either so I very plainly let her see me tip the bartender the $5 for the $1.99 B&G I just ate and left. Now I figure to let her squirm abit and avoid ordering from her for awhile. Thoughts?

Second: We (the regulars at the bar) are having a fight with the owner about chili. Let me start by saying that the chili there is home-made and freaken awesome. The problem the owner now has is this: He just returned from Seattle and apparently they are chili freaks there and serve chili over everything...to the point, those chili recipe's have no beans. Ours do and he wants to eliminate the beans all together. I, along with the vast majority of patrons are trying to explain to him that a bowl of chili with no beans is not the kind of chili we want. He goes on to say that chili with no beans can be put on hot dogs, burgers or whatever without the mess of the beans falling off. I've tried to explain to him that when making the chili, to set aside a portion without the beans before adding them. There...case solved. He wants no part of it. Its not a storage issue. Its not a menu issue. Its his stubborn ass issue. Now granted, he is the owner and can do whatever he wants, but this is why I'm asking you this. As an owner, don't you take into consideration your customer base and what they want?

Dude - stop being a barfly and get outta the bars :wacko:

- seriously - the chicks get comfy and used to yer tips and they think they can start mouthing off - think it is just a combo of busting balls knowing yer a regular - obviously she straightened out when you let her know the real deal. She will get back in line now - ya gotta remember these birds aren't the sharpest knifes in the drawer - this just happened to one of my boys - waitress popped off when he left a less than 20% tip on a 300 tab............

bc he was LOADED and he is in this joint 3-4 times a week and takes care of the waitresses, so it was uncalled for, and she ended up apologizing

as for part 2- stop being a barfly and get out of the bars

Dude - stop being a barfly and get outta the bars :wacko:

- seriously - the chicks get comfy and used to yer tips and they think they can start mouthing off - think it is just a combo of busting balls knowing yer a regular - obviously she straightened out when you let her know the real deal. She will get back in line now - ya gotta remember these birds aren't the sharpest knifes in the drawer - this just happened to one of my boys - waitress popped off when he left a less than 20% tip on a 300 tab............

bc he was LOADED and he is in this joint 3-4 times a week and takes care of the waitresses, so it was uncalled for, and she ended up apologizing

as for part 2- stop being a barfly and get out of the bars

:D

Pretty much as I thought as well. Not being a barfly is out of the question though.

First off, I do not, in any way condone this sort of action from my staff and would quite possibly fire someone for doing this. There are certainly places that almost pride themselves on being rude and perhaps this is one of those places (laughs from the other regulars as evidence). However, my rule of thumb with my employees at work is, "if you don't know exactly where the line is, stay the hell away from it". Sounds like this was the case with her.

That said, your story seems to have some serious holes in it so I'm not sure if your account of what went down is even true. Especially since you seem to be erring on the lavish side. You say that you eat here about 4x a week. One of which appears to be the $2 breakfast. Yet, on average you tip her $10-$15 daily (which seems high unless you typically spend way more than $2 and as single guy in a sports bar, you'll have a hell of a time even getting to $50, and if so would hardly land you with the sarcastic moniker "Mr Bigspender"). Then you multiply that $10-$15 by far more than 4 to get to the weekly amount. So what it is?

So, in other words, my guess is that this is not a case of a lavish tipper being stilted by a waitress. If she's worked for any amount at all, she would not need to be told by you how much you put in her pocket each week. Trust me, she'd know. In every place I have ever worked, if there was some regular who was known to be a good tipper, every single waiter knew the drill and nobody would be so stupid as to call them out or tell them they don't count on their tips to pay the rent. Now, maybe this waitress is that stupid. Maybe you're not golden goose you claim to be. Maybe it's both.

Well, that and the fact that just about every time someone complains on-line about bad service, they make a point about insisting they're the world's best tipper. To the point of it being downright comical. So, in cases like this, I typically assume that pretty much everyone who claims to be a 30+% tipper is full of it.

Through my life, I've learned that most adults just don't pick out some random, innocent person and start making fun of them in front of a bunch of other people. If this happens, one might be well served to ask oneself if they're as good a guy as they think they are. Not, mind you, for the sake of the offending server (who is still duty bound to be polite to anyone) but for your own good.

As for your second part. If dude is changing a recipe and having all his regulars scream at him not to, he's pretty dumb as well. Assuming, of course that it is literally "the vast majority" and not just a handful of you guys. After all, a guy can go crazy chasing the whims of a vocal minority. I would say I have had people insist that we put half the specials we've ever run on the menu. If I did, my menu would be 4 pages long and impossible to deal with. Of course, individually, I'm sure plenty wonder why I'm so thick headed as to not take the well intended advise of a customer.

And, FWIW, I also prefer chili with no beans.

So, there's my take. And yes, this is exactly how I would have responded regardless of our little tiff earlier.

Edited by detlef

That said, your story seems to have some serious holes in it so I'm not sure if your account of what went down is even true. Especially since you seem to be erring on the lavish side. You say that you eat here about 4x a week. One of which appears to be the $2 breakfast. Yet, on average you tip her $10-$15 daily (which seems high unless you typically spend way more than $2 and as single guy in a sports bar, you'll have a hell of a time even getting to $50, and if so would hardly land you with the sarcastic moniker "Mr Bigspender"). Then you multiply that $10-$15 by far more than 4 to get to the weekly amount. So what it is?

Should have been alittle more clear I guess. I'm not the worlds greatest mathematician. That being said, I always tip out $5 on a $2 buck breakfast. When I eat lunch, its usually a low end item such as the *ahem* chili in question or a lunch special. All around $5-$7. Again those get a $5 tip. Dinner specials are homemade and are great meat and potato items so those run around $8.99 ish. Again, a $5 tip. So basically, its $5 for anything I order. Unless of course the item is over $10, then I adjust. And yes, she is that stupid. But she won't get fired cause she's a staple there. I guess I was just caught off guard by her direct attack the minute I walked into the joint. Never-the-less, I wasn't laughing at her attempted humor...if you can call it that.

And for the record, I could care less about our earlier tiff. You were the first person I thought of while driving home, as I have read many of your posts in this area and respect them. So take that for what its worth.

There is a bar/restaurant here in town that does specialize in rude behavior from its waiting staff. If you're ever in SD, take a trip to Dick's Last Resort in the Gas Lamp District. You will be enlightened to say the least.

ETA: Ok, after minutes of internal battle to do so, I dusted off the old calculating machine and figured I typically tip $10-15 a day, depending on weather or not I eat dinner. That also depends on if I'm drinking. So...I proclaim I am in need of a refresher course in the fine arts of Math and I spend roughly $60-75 a week in tips for food. Keep in mind, that I sit at the bar so drinks are not added to my meal ticket. They are paid separately, which allows me to tip the waitress AND bartender for there services individually. I think I might have included bartender into my first equation. Oh screw it, I admit it, I can't freaken add.

Through my life, I've learned that most adults just don't pick out some random, innocent person and start making fun of them in front of a bunch of other people. If this happens, one might be well served to ask oneself if they're as good a guy as they think they are. Not, mind you, for the sake of the offending server (who is still duty bound to be polite to anyone) but for your own good.

Nope...she does it to a vast majority of the people that come in there. I see it all day. And I just realized something, she's not always the waitress, so that lowers my direct tip to her even more. :wacko:

Edited by tazinib1

Should have been alittle more clear I guess. I'm not the worlds greatest mathematician. That being said, I always tip out $5 on a $2 buck breakfast. When I eat lunch, its usually a low end item such as the *ahem* chili in question or a lunch special. All around $5-$7. Again those get a $5 tip. Dinner specials are homemade and are great meat and potato items so those run around $8.99 ish. Again, a $5 tip. So basically, its $5 for anything I order. Unless of course the item is over $10, then I adjust. And yes, she is that stupid. But she won't get fired cause she's a staple there. I guess I was just caught off guard by her direct attack the minute I walked into the joint. Never-the-less, I wasn't laughing at her attempted humor...if you can call it that.

And for the record, I could care less about our earlier tiff. You were the first person I thought of while driving home, as I have read many of your posts in this area and respect them. So take that for what its worth.

There is a bar/restaurant here in town that does specialize in rude behavior from its waiting staff. If you're ever in SD, take a trip to Dick's Last Resort in the Gas Lamp District. You will be enlightened to say the least.

ETA: Ok, after minutes of internal battle to do so, I dusted off the old calculating machine and figured I typically tip $10-15 a day, depending on weather or not I eat dinner. That also depends on if I'm drinking. So...I proclaim I am in need of a refresher course in the fine arts of Math and I spend roughly $60-75 a week in tips for food. Keep in mind, that I sit at the bar so drinks are not added to my meal ticket. They are paid separately, which allows me to tip the waitress AND bartender for there services individually. I think I might have included bartender into my first equation. Oh screw it, I admit it, I can't freaken add.

Nope...she does it to a vast majority of the people that come in there. I see it all day. And I just realized something, she's not always the waitress, so that lowers my direct tip to her even more. :wacko:

If you sit at the bar, why don't both your drinks and food get tipped to the bartender? Every place I've ever either eaten at or worked at that had a bar, if you sat at the bar, you tip the bartender for everything you get. They may tip out the waitstaff because they can't go get their own food (sometimes) but that shouldn't be your concern.

Do they really present you with two bills? One for food and one for drink?

Sorry, another edit. Still confused. You seemed to make a point of saying that, because she was rude, this time you'd just go to the bar and cut her out of the equation. Now it appears 1) you always sit there and 2) regardless, you still end up tipping the waitress anyway.

Well, that and 4x a week b-fast, lunch, and dinner still doesn't add up to $50-$75.

Edited by detlef

If you sit at the bar, why don't both your drinks and food get tipped to the bartender? Every place I've ever either eaten at or worked at that had a bar, if you sat at the bar, you tip the bartender for everything you get. They may tip out the waitstaff because they can't go get their own food (sometimes) but that shouldn't be your concern.

Do they really present you with two bills? One for food and one for drink?

Sorry, another edit. Still confused. You seemed to make a point of saying that, because she was rude, this time you'd just go to the bar and cut her out of the equation. Now it appears 1) you always sit there and 2) regardless, you still end up tipping the waitress anyway.

Well, that and 4x a week b-fast, lunch, and dinner still doesn't add up to $50-$75.

The seating capacity for this particular place is .... guessing here but appx. 75. Its an island bar so the waitress has free reign over the entire place. Typically, you CAN order from the bartender, but they are usually too busy to worry about food orders so its custom here to wait for a waitress to ask if you want a menu or if you are eating. Thats when the split occurs. And yeah, they write up separate checks for food/drinks if you are at the bar. If you are in the seating area, it goes on 1 ticket.

On your edit. I do always sit at the bar, I just don't go to the bartender for my order. Not trying to confuse you here. And 4x$15 per day is $60. ANYWAYS...this is why I hated math.

detlef one of the restaurants I ran had a system that had a server just dedicated to takeout orders and received the tip on food. Those tabs were separate from a drink at the bar.

Then again, that was quite some time ago, AND a messed up system . . .

That system is quite common in New Orleans where many of the kitchens are actually owned separately from the bars in which they are installed.

Some even with the same owners will keep separate banks for drinks and food and if you are to tip the person bringing your food that will be done to them regardless of whether you are at the bar or not.

detlef one of the restaurants I ran had a system that had a server just dedicated to takeout orders and received the tip on food. Those tabs were separate from a drink at the bar.

Then again, that was quite some time ago, AND a messed up system . . .

I can certainly understand a situation where a restaurant had a dedicated to bringing the food to the bar and, thus, they and the bartender would have to divide the bar tips somehow.

What I can't comprehend is handing a customer who sat at the bar two bills and asking them to figure two tips out. Further, if someone was dense enough to try that, I could see that policy lasting about one half of one night before essentially everyone who sat at the bar asked, "Why is this my job? Can't you just give me one bill, let me tip on the whole amount, and have you guys divy that up however you please?"

What I can't comprehend is handing a customer who sat at the bar two bills and asking them to figure two tips out.

This is the only part of this post I don't get? What the hell is so hard about figuring out a tip? I know we have debated tipping to death around here but it still doesn't make sense to me at all. It takes me less than 10 seconds to decide what to tip someone. That goes for all situations. It is just EASY!

ETA:

Seriously? So you get a bill for your meal and it is $10.26. If you are cheap and tip 20% thats 2 bucks plus. Do you really sit and try to figure out what 20% of .26 is?

If your bill is 184.79 do you get out the calculator? Tipping is easy folks. Why do so many people make it so difficult?

Edited by tbimm

That system is quite common in New Orleans where many of the kitchens are actually owned separately from the bars in which they are installed.

Some even with the same owners will keep separate banks for drinks and food and if you are to tip the person bringing your food that will be done to them regardless of whether you are at the bar or not.

That's still a lame way to set it up and, again, should not be on the customer to deal with. Even if they're owned by two different people, if you're using a computer system, it's insanely easy to figure out which owner gets what off a ticket and, even if you're not, it would not be that hard.

Again, the restaurant can have whatever crazy system they want to divide the money up once it gets paid, but that's their problem.

This is the only part of this post I don't get? What the hell is so hard about figuring out a tip? I know we have debated tipping to death around here but it still doesn't make sense to me at all. It takes me less than 10 seconds to decide what to tip someone. That goes for all situations. It is just EASY!

It's not about it being easy, it's about not turning the dining experience into some sub-contractor experience. It's pretty simple. My job as a restaurant is to provide food, drinks, and service to the customer. At the end, I hand them a bill. They pay. I don't ask them to figure out who gets what. Besides, you don't tip just because someone is bringing you your food, you tip on being served. Does the bartender have absolutely nothing to do with anything besides handing you a drink? Likely not. My guess they might make a suggestion or two, take your dish away when you're done, etc. In other words, do all the things a waiter typically does besides actually grabbing your food and bringing it to you (because they often can't)

Am I supposed to figure out how much of the waiter's base tip I should take away from them and add to the bartender considering that the "waiter" who might actually be nothing more than a food runner, did nothing but bring me my food and the bartender was actually the one "waiting" on me. For all I know, if I do that, I'm hosing the waiter and if I just tip both the same percentage, I'm hosing the bartender who actually deserves a bigger chunk of the tip.

You know who can really easily figure it out? The house, that's who. Because the house sits down and figures out the most equitable way of dividing it up. And I would be about certain that they skew it towards the bartender for the reasons I gave above.

That's still a lame way to set it up and, again, should not be on the customer to deal with. Even if they're owned by two different people, if you're using a computer system, it's insanely easy to figure out which owner gets what off a ticket and, even if you're not, it would not be that hard.

Again, the restaurant can have whatever crazy system they want to divide the money up once it gets paid, but that's their problem.

Whether it is lame or not is not the issue. The existence of such systems is what you challenged.

I think you are looking at it from more of a high end restaurant setting than from the bar that serves food angle. I can understand you seeing it that way considering your livelihood.

On the other side... I had never seen this type of set-up until I moved here. New Orleans is a different animal.

And no, they don't use a computer system there. Its all paper checks. And maybe this clarifies something, maybe it doesn't. But I'm always put on a tab when I'm drinking. Hence the 2 checks? :wacko: I'll give you one more to ponder about Detlef, they use coolers to store there beer in at the bar. Yes, coolers. 1 for bud, 1 for Coors light, etc etc etc all down the line. I've never seen this anywhere else, but they insist this saves them money on refrigeration and energy. I guess they brought the system from New Jersey. It works and all the bartenders use it efficiently, but its a rather odd sight to see at first.

It's not about it being easy, it's about not turning the dining experience into some sub-contractor experience. It's pretty simple. My job as a restaurant is to provide food, drinks, and service to the customer. At the end, I hand them a bill. They pay. I don't ask them to figure out who gets what. Besides, you don't tip just because someone is bringing you your food, you tip on being served. Does the bartender have absolutely nothing to do with anything besides handing you a drink? Likely not. My guess they might make a suggestion or two, take your dish away when you're done, etc. In other words, do all the things a waiter typically does besides actually grabbing your food and bringing it to you (because they often can't)

Am I supposed to figure out how much of the waiter's base tip I should take away from them and add to the bartender considering that the "waiter" who might actually be nothing more than a food runner, did nothing but bring me my food and the bartender was actually the one "waiting" on me. For all I know, if I do that, I'm hosing the waiter and if I just tip both the same percentage, I'm hosing the bartender who actually deserves a bigger chunk of the tip.

You know who can really easily figure it out? The house, that's who. Because the house sits down and figures out the most equitable way of dividing it up. And I would be about certain that they skew it towards the bartender for the reasons I gave above.

OK let me type more slowly. Maybe I was just moving too fast for you to understand what I was trying to say.

I don't care who divides what or how they do it! If I am at a place that gives you a separate bill for your food and your drinks I am not alarmed or confused.

Drinks = $20.00 tip is minimum $5.00

Food= $10 tip is minimum $3.00

Varies only on service. It takes a lot to piss me off to the point of tipping less than the above amounts.

If I am handed 2 bills I spend that whole 10 seconds figuring out both tips at once. I am a multi-tasker.

Tipping is easy no matter the circumstances. That is my point!

OK let me type more slowly. Maybe I was just moving too fast for you to understand what I was trying to say.

I don't care who divides what or how they do it! If I am at a place that gives you a separate bill for your food and your drinks I am not alarmed or confused.

Drinks = $20.00 tip is minimum $5.00

Food= $10 tip is minimum $3.00

Varies only on service. It takes a lot to piss me off to the point of tipping less than the above amounts.

If I am handed 2 bills I spend that whole 10 seconds figuring out both tips at once. I am a multi-tasker.

Tipping is easy no matter the circumstances. That is my point!

Honestly,

Save the bit about me being too stupid to do the math and think for a second, both about what I'm saying, and about what you're saying.

First off, you haven't begun to address the fact that asking the customer to decide who gets what is likely the least equitable manner in dividing tips. So, basically you're asking the customer to do a little extra work in order to insure that the tips get as screwed up as possible. That's what we call lose-lose. And before you get your dander up about this implying the customer doesn't know anything, it has absolutely nothing to do with how enlightened or wise the customer his and everything to do with the fact that they have the least amount of insight into what is going on. See my last post on the subject. I have worked in this industry my entire life. I know what food runners typically make, I know what bartenders typically make, and yet I have no idea how the two people would fairly divide up the total tip if I just left it to them collectively. Is this the only thing the "waiter" is doing tonight or do they have an entire section and this is just a throw-in. In that case, especially if the bartender is doing everything but delivering the food, it would be rather silly to actually tip that person a higher percentage on their part of the bill than I'm tipping the guy who has a lot more to do with my dining experience.

Yet this is exactly what you are suggesting one does in your attempt to insultingly show how easy it is. Thanks for making my point.

Further, as you also illustrated, it's a rather sleazy way of extorting a higher tip. Regardless of what your base percentage is, it usually goes up the smaller the bill. It's standard. You might be a 20% guy but if a drink comes to $4, you're leaving $5. For instance, you're $3 on $10. Are you $6 on $20? Or does it tick down to $5? So, the restaurant effectively takes your bill and cuts it in half which quite possibly slides you along the curve where you tip more than you normally would. So, basically you're paying more money and having to bother with two bills.

Now, I do understand that this almost happens when people start at the bar and move to a table, but it should always be the choice of the customer. Some like to settle up with the bartender to make sure they get their cut and that is a very noble gesture, but that is their choice. When I've had bartenders imply that they should settle up, I make a point of telling them that I don't want to hear that crap ever again. If they want to remind the waiter at tip out to kick them a bit extra because of the round or so they had at the bar, that's fine with me, but that's not the customer's problem.

And, btw, bpwallace, I was amazed that a system as stupid as this exists, not claiming it didn't. That said, I've spent my entire working life (age 15 on in restaurants in several states and have eaten my way through more still (including NOLA)) and have not come across this.

None the less, Taz, the part I'm still having a hell of a time with is the following: So, you go to this bar 4x a week, often 3x in that day. Basically every time you sit at the bar and order your food from a waitress rather than the bartender. Regardless of what you order, you're tipping at least $5 (except when your meal costs more than $10, at which point merely giving your waitress 50% just will not do).

So, whomever you happen to ask for your biscuits knows she's getting $5 for taking a plate of food to some dude who's not even taking a spot in her section. Now, if this person is crass, I can see the first crack. Not saying it's fine, but I can see it happening. The "your tips don't pay my bills" bit is, however, getting a bit hard to believe. However, the part that I absolutely can't believe is that it took you explaining to her how much money you pay her each week. Because bitch or not, I can promise you one thing. She knows who you are, and you're the guy who gives her $5 to bring you a plate of biscuits every time you come in. Further, this is a waitress serving $2 plates of biscuits in a bar that uses ice chests to hold the beer. I can't imagine there are too many guys either racking up high enough food bills or tipping 200% that she'd make a point of singling you out.

Again, I just can't see it going down as you describe. Because I've worked with the crass, the unscrupulous, and total derelicts my entire career. And each and every one of them would still know you were the guy who gave them $5 every time they brought you a $2 plate of biscuits. You could be a total a-hole and they might talk crazy chight about you in the wait station, but they wouldn't be so stupid as to need you to explain to them that you were the guy that paid them $5...

None the less, as I said in my first response, I still wouldn't tolerate this action from an employee nor would I stand before the "vast majority of my regulars" and tell them all that I was changing their favorite dish against their wishes.

Edited by detlef

Further, as you also illustrated, it's a rather sleazy way of extorting a higher tip. Regardless of what your base percentage is, it usually goes up the smaller the bill. It's standard. You might be a 20% guy but if a drink comes to $4, you're leaving $5. For instance, you're $3 on $10. Are you $6 on $20? Or does it tick down to $5? So, the restaurant effectively takes your bill and cuts it in half which quite possibly slides you along the curve where you tip more than you normally would. So, basically you're paying more money and having to bother with two bills.

Exactly why system as arcane as this dont work.

I know your restaurant background detlef and wasnt trying to antagonize you. Just like in the tip thread, what we take for granted being in the business may be completely alien to others that just dont know better . . . :wacko:

Edited by bpwallace49

Detlef,

Thank You for explaining to me how I as a customer should think. I am sorry that I didn't think like a restaurant owner all along. I will be sure to lower my tip percentage post haste!

There is a reason I never got into debate with you before and I am now reminded why.

All I was trying to explain is that we customers can handle going to a place that separates the food bill from the bar bill. We are not all as inept as you think!

Detlef,

Thank You for explaining to me how I as a customer should think. I am sorry that I didn't think like a restaurant owner all along. I will be sure to lower my tip percentage post haste!

There is a reason I never got into debate with you before and I am now reminded why.

All I was trying to explain is that we customers can handle going to a place that separates the food bill from the bar bill. We are not all as inept as you think!

:wacko:

You know what is amazing, is that I'm not even telling you what the customer should do. I'm freaking telling you what the restaurant should do. That you the effing customer deserves better and that you should just be able to walk into a place and say, "I'm going to order some food and drink and when I'm done, just give me a bill for the whole thing and you guys figure out what the hell to do with it."

Edited by detlef

Seems to me that you frequent this joint quite a bit. So I would say there is allowable banter between you, the locals, and the employees. Those comments to me would probably elicit a laugh, a kiss my ass, and get me a drink.

I think your panties are in a wad here. With all due respect.