[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Splitting out DT and CB from DL and DB

In your IDP leagues.....  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Does your leagues separate DT and CB out from DL and DB?

• Yes
    • No
    • Puddy
  2. 2. If so, are they scored differently than DE and S?

• Yes (please describe below)
    • No
    • Puddy

Just curious how many leagues split have DT, DE and CB, S split out from the usual DL and DB convention. I find it to be an interesting aspect of a league to forced to start a DT as many DTs aren't even rosterable in a standard DL convention league. CB is a bit different as often, CBs are among the top performers at DB.

Both ATAP and AOTAOP have it here at the huddle as well as a couple other leagues I am in. Most don't however, including two leagues I commish. Hoping to get a bit of a feel for what's common since ATAP and AOTAOP are anything but.

Another thing I've seen is separate scoring for DTs to reward tackles moreso than DEs. Is this fairly common as well? How it is done?

Not splitting DE & DT up seems pointless if a league plans on running a full 11 man IDP. DTs score significantly less as a whole and wouldn't have a lot of value - kind of the same reasoning as to why leagues use a TE mandatory - it increases the value of TEs and makes starting lineups/drafts more diverse. I have not seen a league make DE/DT scoring or CB/S scoring different.

In regard to CBs & Ss, you could probably run with a DB designation instead - CBs seem to hold their own much better than DTs when compared with their running mates in the D backfield. It's not unusual to see full IDP leagues allow for additional DBs of any kind to be started in place of a LB4, and some make only 1 CB and 1 S of the minimum 4 DBs mandatory.

In any case, splitting out positions does 2 things that I consider desireable: It increases lineup permutations and it increases positional value. Both of those factors increase the variability of the league, which enhances the competition.

Only one other league outside of AOTAOP I play in has separate DE / DT spots. Scoring is the same for both positions. Not sure I have a real preference either way but I would assume the more positions you have the more opportunity you have to create scoring advantages which may assist in creating more parity within the league :wacko:

FWIW I think the ATAP / AOTAOP concept is hands down my favorite league setup I have experienced thus far. Last year the overall standings were very close amongst most teams in each league. The starting lineup requirements really allow for some close competition throughout the league.

1 out of 3 does. You know the one with punters :wacko: does.

That leagues requires this

Number of Starting DTs: 1-3

Number of Starting DEs: 2

Number of Starting LBs: 1-4

Number of Starting CBs: 2-3

Number of Starting Ss: 1-3

Requiring 2 CB's and 1 S does seem odd.

Only one other league outside of AOTAOP I play in has separate DE / DT spots. Scoring is the same for both positions. Not sure I have a real preference either way but I would assume the more positions you have the more opportunity you have to create scoring advantages which may assist in creating more parity within the league :wacko:

FWIW I think the ATAP / AOTAOP concept is hands down my favorite league setup I have experienced thus far. Last year the overall standings were very close amongst most teams in each league. The starting lineup requirements really allow for some close competition throughout the league.

Inside the 20 is my only league which requires it and I like it well enough. It's just that extra step of detail which helps satisfy the novice IDP junkie in me.

So, what's the setup in ATAP that you like it so much?