[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Board Meeting: A WR in the first round of PPR league?

j2v

Taking a WR in the first round  

60 members have voted

1. 1. How early would you take your first WR in a PPR league?

• Within the first four picks
    • Fifth or sixth
    • Seventh or eighth
    • Ninth or 10th
    • If I have the last pick in R1, I'll consider it
    • There's no way I'm not going RB in the first round

Honestly, I've been playing in 3 leagues for the last 5 years and have won league championships 3 times, and came in second 2 other times. That being said I can honestly say I have never taken a WR before getting 2 RBs yet. I think the RBs that are the only show on their team far outweigh even the top WRs.

For the argument that one could find quality RBs in later rounds, I say one too can do the same with WRs, I got Roddy White in the 5th or 6th last year (although i did also get CJ in the 7th).

Having said that I would seriously consider changing my stance if I found myself in the late First round and had a WR ranked next on my PPR board over the next available RB.

However, in non PPR leagues, I would say one would have to go with multiple RB picks before your first WR.

RB confidence shouldn't matter. I know what you're trying to say - but it's just emotion getting in the way of an owner's perceptions. On average, the top 5 RBs and top 5 WRs should come out close to even in a PPR league - each and every season. So any wavering in confidence is really just fear of uncertainty - but if you understand that top 5 at each position will remain steady each season, there's really no difference from year to year.

Maybe I am just slow to pick this up, but RBBC is the new reality in the NFL. However, last year I still felt that RB/RB/WR/WR/ was the way to select a team. This year, I am in no way convinced that I'll approach the draft with any type of positional strategy locked in.

RB confidence shouldn't matter. I know what you're trying to say - but it's just emotion getting in the way of an owner's perceptions. On average, the top 5 RBs and top 5 WRs should come out close to even in a PPR league - each and every season. So any wavering in confidence is really just fear of uncertainty - but if you understand that top 5 at each position will remain steady each season, there's really no difference from year to year.

I thought this statement was total BS. But after going back and looking at the top 10 RB/WR over the past 2 years, this is spot on. There are a couple of WR are consistently in the top 10 and worth a high pick before RB's but really only 3 that I saw. Moss, Wayne and A. Johnson. The other top WR's were different each year. So if I'm in a 12 team league and drafting late I would seriously consider changing my RB/RB strategy this year and grab one of those 3.

Good call.

I agree that the RBBC is making WR more valuable than they actually are. I voted 7-8 range for a WR. I think the RBs listed in DMDs ranking from 8-15 are all about the same player. I would still take a top 3 WR at that pick because in the second round the odds are that I will get a comparable back to the one I would have picked at 7-8. The odds of taking the back first and hoping one of the top 3WR is there in the second are not as great.

I thought this statement was total BS. But after going back and looking at the top 10 RB/WR over the past 2 years, this is spot on. There are a couple of WR are consistently in the top 10 and worth a high pick before RB's but really only 3 that I saw. Moss, Wayne and A. Johnson. The other top WR's were different each year. So if I'm in a 12 team league and drafting late I would seriously consider changing my RB/RB strategy this year and grab one of those 3.

Good call.

Thanks - I'm glad someone else (other than me) will benefit from my fantasy acumen :wacko:

in a PPR, RB's that catch hold great value....especially if they get the majority of the touches in their offensive system...

I always draft according to where the depth in talent is starting to drop off....and if I draft 11th/12th with pretty much all of my top 10 RB's gone at that pick, I might consider taking Fitzgerald there and then worry about filling out my RB depth in the next couple of rounds...

it really just depends on what has transpired during the draft....

you can't be one dimensional when drafting and I find that I draft much better when I'm at a local spot doing the entire draft on one day rather than doing an online draft over the course of a few weeks...I find that my mindset changes frequently and I end up changing my strategy several times rather than sticking to the method I started with....

I'll say one thing though...with the depth at RB in a PPR with all of this RBBC in the NFL today....it's not exactly a bad idea to great stud value at WR at the end of the 1st......the real risk is coming back around to the 2nd pick and NOT taking a RB...