[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Steven Jackson

hooknladder

Spagnuolo Sees Jackson As His Key Player

Posted by Mike Florio on July 1, 2009 10:57 PM

As Steve Spagnuolo prepares for his maiden voyage as head coach of a team that has won only five games over the past two years, he recently was asked to identify the one position on a depleted Rams team about which he is the most comfortable.

It's running back.

Specifically, it's Steven Jackson.

"I think he's one of the premier backs in the league," Spagnuolo told Dennis Dillon of SportingNews.com. "A lot of guys showed tremendous commitment and leadership during the offseason workouts, but he stuck out."

Jackson turns 26 later this month. And that's smack dab in the middle of middle age, especially for a tailback who doesn't avoid contact but embraces contact.

So he's got four good years left, at the most.

And Spagnuolo will need to get the most out of Jackson that he can, if the Rams are going to get any better in 2009.

let's keep our fingers crossed. :wacko:

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like guys that play physical and he is in my top 3 real life RBs. I am weary of taking him for the same reasons everyone is, but I feel a lot better including him in my top 8 because of the weak schedule he plays and the addition of guards in last years draft and the addition of a top flight OT and C this year. They shouldn't be playing from 21 points down every game-keeping him in it and even in seasons he gets injured he comes on strong at the end of the year. In locals most will probably be down on him and he may be a steal lat in round one.

If he ever takes the skirt off he'll be fine. Until then, he will single handedly RUIN your fantasy football team. The one thing he has shown us that have tried to own him is that you cannot rely on Steven Jackson in the first round. I didn't even know people still looked at him as a 1st round talent.

I trust him like I trust the weather reports. No fn way is he my #1 RB.

Wurd. If you are thinking about buying on Jackson, take five minutes and call someone who has owned him any year but 07. He doesn't have tons of heart, and his team is terrible. He will quit on you and his team at some stretch this season. I don't see how you could possibly take this guy over LT, DeAngelo, Moss, Fitz or a host of others.

Jackson has ran for more than 1042 yards one time in his career. He has scored more than 8 rushing TD's one time in his career. He hasn't reached 1050 yards in the past two years. He has only caught more than 43 balls one time in his career, and never scored more than 3 receiving TD's. He has had one stud year, and four mediocre years at best. His career average is 1,058 yards and 8.8 all purpose TD's per season. Those just aren't first round numbers, plain and simple. Jackson is a sheep in wolf's clothing.

If his name wasn't Steven Jackson, and he didn't look so big and mean, he would not even be considered for a first round selection.

Jackson has ran for more than 1042 yards one time in his career. He has scored more than 8 rushing TD's one time in his career. He hasn't reached 1050 yards in the past two years. He has only caught more than 43 balls one time in his career, and never scored more than 3 receiving TD's. He has had one stud year, and four mediocre years at best. His career average is 1,058 yards and 8.8 all purpose TD's per season. Those just aren't first round numbers, plain and simple. Jackson is a sheep in wolf's clothing.

If his name wasn't Steven Jackson, and he didn't look so big and mean, he would not even be considered for a first round selection.

If you are throwing out single season success, can you please list all the other RBS plus their accomplishments that you would take over him so he is bumped to the second round?

Shouldn't I instead try to find people taken above him that have had bad years over 80% of their career?

Nope. You stated that he would not be a first round pick if he "didnt look so big and scary".

Please list the others that would be listed ahead of him of you are so confident Seahawk . . . .

Throw out his first year when he only started three games and his averages are

1152 rush yrds

444 rec yrds

1596 tot yrds

52 receptions

10 TDs

I think I would draft him in the first round.

Rushing yards/combined TD's. Sorry I don't have time or desire to add receiving yards

AD --career avg 1550.5/11.5

MJD --844.33/12.67 *also helped greatly by receiving yards

Forte -1238/12

LT --1470/17.63

Portis --1315/10.86

Turner --591/4.6---1700/17 his only year as a starter

C. Johnson---1228/10

Deangelo--911/9

Westbrook--817/9.14--his receiving numbers are well known

Gore--1110/6.5

Jacobs--655/9.25

Slaton--1282/10

Barber--763/10.5

Grant--1080/6.5

Lynch--1075/8

That doesn't include the 5 WR's and 3 QB's I would take over him. Also, if you will take a second to look at the numbers, almost all of the guys up there with numbers as poor as his have been RBBC or plain out backups for most of their career. Jackson has been the featured back every year but one.

Edited by Seahawks21

of the backs you listed, I'd only take Peterson, MoDrew and LT beofre Jackson. Maybe Forte, but I don't think so. I don't know if I want him at 4, but think think he's fourth of those listed

Rushing yards/combined TD's. Sorry I don't have time or desire to add receiving yards

AD --career avg 1550.5/11.5

MJD --844.33/12.67 *also helped greatly by receiving yards

Forte -1238/12

LT --1470/17.63

Portis --1315/10.86

Turner --591/4.6---1700/17 his only year as a starter

C. Johnson---1228/10

Deangelo--911/9

Westbrook--817/9.14--his receiving numbers are well known

Gore--1110/6.5

Jacobs--655/9.25

Slaton--1282/10

Barber--763/10.5

Grant--1080/6.5

Lynch--1075/8

That doesn't include the 5 WR's and 3 QB's I would take over him. Also, if you will take a second to look at the numbers, almost all of the guys up there with numbers as poor as his have been RBBC or plain out backups for most of their career. Jackson has been the featured back every year but one.

Edited by Duchess Jack

of the backs you listed, I'd only take Peterson, MoDrew and LT beofre Jackson. Maybe Forte, but I don't think so. I don't know if I want him at 4, but think think he's fourth of those listed

you must not have owned him recently. Believe me, at one point I was just as excited about him as you were.