[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Board Meeting: Tier 2 QBs

j2v

Tier 2 QBs  

81 members have voted

1. 1. If you miss out on the elite QBs, what's your preference for filling the position?

• Kurt Warner in R4-R5
    • Philip Rivers in R5-R6
    • Tony Romo in R5-R6
    • Donovan McNabb in R6-R7
    • Carson Palmer in R7-R8
    • Reach for a Tier 3 QB like Cutler, Schaub, or Ryan
    • Wait until after R8 to select a QB

It seems as if the majority of fantasy football players prefer to wait on quarterbacks. Even the Tier 1 quarterbacks trickle off the board over the first three or four rounds. But let’s assume you missed out on Brees, Brady, Manning and even Aaron Rodgers; what’s your next move?

The Huddle’s next tier of quarterbacks includes Kurt Warner, Donovan McNabb, Philip Rivers, Carson Palmer, and Tony Romo. The most recent ADP report at Mock Draft Central suggests they should be going off the board in a performance scoring league as follows:

• Warner – 38th overall (4th round in a 12-team draft)

• McNabb – 62nd overall (6th round)

• Rivers – 41st overall (4th round)

• Palmer – 89th overall (8th round)

• Romo – 42nd overall (4th round)

A few of The Huddle’s Tier 3 quarterbacks sneak into this ADP range as well:

• Jay Cutler – 71st overall (6th round)

• Matt Ryan – 74th overall (7th round)

• Matt Schaub – 76th overall (7th round)

What’s your preference here: Do you go after a Tier 2 guy in rounds 5-8? Do you reach for a Tier 3 guy in that area? Or do you fill up your squad elsewhere and start looking for a quarterback in Round 9 or beyond?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll use my ongoing redraft league as an example. 3 QB's have gone off the board in the 2nd round. :wacko:

Brees -- Not really a stretch I suppose

Brady

P.Manning

I'll secure my RB's and WR's first before I reach. I don't think I've ever drafted a QB before the 4th, but if Rodgers slips or Rivers is sitting there at 4.7, I might be tempted to reach. If not, I'll wait a few rounds and grab a McNabb or Schaub and feel very comfortable in doing so.

Edited by tazinib1

I'll wait until the 8th. My reasoning is that by not grabbing a QB early I can 1) possibly get a difference maker TE 2) get depth in WR and or RB 3) end up with more weekly points out of multiple positions than I lose out of the one QB position.

IfI can get McNabb in the 7th (assuming non-IDP), then I will take him there and be very happy. Beyond that, I will generally wait for a QB unless I see a real good value on the board (say Warner in the mid-5th), I am confortable with my first 4 picks, and I see enough of he guys I like hanging around that I am fairly comfortable in believing I will get one as a good value in the latter rounds.

To me it all depends on the scoring. If a QB has a high value compared to other positions, then I probably want a tier 1 QB long as I am drafting towards the end of the second round. Otherwise, I try to snag one of the final tier 2 QBs. But I almost never wait so long that I end up with a tier 3 QB for a starter. Upper tier QBs are among the lowest risk players but the fact that almost all leagues only start one means that they last a pretty long time. I usually do not take a QB before the 5th unless QBs are highly valued and I have a feeling one will really come through for me.

I said McNabb in the 6th-7th but honestly it all depends on my options. This past year I made a very specific point of being 100% committed to taking the highest guy on my overall list regardless of position for the first 10 rounds and my team ended up absolutely stacked. That is how I will draft from now on.

One advantage to the 2-headed QB approach is that one might blow up. I took Cutler and Rivers in different leagues last year ~round 8. You took Rodgers later. If you need to play matchups, cool. If one dominates, well, that's serious value at a low risk.

+1

You can take a chance on QBs that have a little more risk, but upside.

Maybe my homer goggles are working overtime, but I do not think Schaub is a Tier 3 QB. He should be ranked as a Tier 2 QB, and think he should definitely be ahead of the likes of Palmer and Co.

Schaub averaged 276.6 yds/g last season, for number 3 in the NFL. I would be very psyched to pick him up again this year in the 6th round.

Hard to say ahead of time since it depends on how the draft breaks but Rivers or McNabb in the 5/6 would be nice and Palmer/Romo/Warner would be temping as well.

Guess it really depends on how I feel about my RBs and WRs at that point. TE required? Starting requirements for RB/WR will effect it too.

I would like to wait till the 8th but more than likely one of these guys would be a value pick before then

Palmer is already a has-been. And a has-been who has lost his most reliable target. He is now down to one. Chad was already double-teamed for the last five years, now he is going to see 3 or 4 thrown his way. Palmer has lost all his confidence. He doesn't throw on time, doesn't step into his throws, and by the second half of most games he is simply winging the ball around the field from his back foot. BUST ALERT!!!

I have no reasoning to not take Rivers, but I just haven't boarded his bus yet.

I will wait. I like Schaub and Ryan this year. That said, I'll probably get stuck taking the likes of Favre, Hasselbeck or Edwards a bit later. I think they will put up very similar numbers to the guys in this poll, and can be had quite a bit later. I just see no reason to latch onto one of the guys in this poll when I can take a #2 WR or TE instead.

My QBs seem to suck no matter when I take them. Even some years ago (back when taking QBs Rd 1 wasn't considered so rare or dumb) I tookFavre in the 1st and he had a then-uncharacteristically really bad year. (I think it was the Rhodes era) I'm scared to take Manning because me drafting a QB is like them being on the cover of the stupid Madden game.

So screw it. I'll take 2 so-so guys later and pray.

Edited by BeeR

In my ongoing re-draft, I just took Warner at 5.8. Following the BA according to the Huddle Rankings, he was a no-brainer. Even though I should have waited for a possible McNabb or Schuab pick in the 6th, I am dedicated to following the rankings.

In my ongoing re-draft, I just took Warner at 5.8. Following the BA according to the Huddle Rankings, he was a no-brainer. Even though I should have waited for a possible McNabb or Schuab pick in the 6th, I am dedicated to following the rankings.

This league is nuts . . At the end of the 5th round here are the QBs that have been drafted

Brees

Brady

Manning

Rivers

Rodgers

Warner

McNabb

Ryan

:wacko:

Plus the guy that drafted manning also drafted Rodgers . . . he has zero WRs through 5 rounds

No offense, but I want you in my league.

None taken, I would love to be in your league. Can you give me details?

Att Comp Pct Yds TD Int Rate

478 312 65.3 4009 34 11 105.5

Those are tier 1 numbers.

Edited by luckydawg