[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Board Meeting: RBs making a leap

j2v

RBs making a leap from 2008 to 2009  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these RBs do you like to put up the best fantasy numbers (performance league, no PPR) this year?

• Darren McFadden
    • Cedric Benson
    • Felix Jones

A comparison of last year’s top-producing fantasy backs and this year’s ADP yields some interesting results.

• Darren McFadden ranked 43rd among RBs in fantasy points per game; his current ADP is 25

• Cedric Benson ranked 36th among RBs in fantasy points per game; his current ADP is 31

• Felix Jones ranked 45th among RBs in fantasy points per game; his current ADP is 32

Those ADPs make McFadden, Benson, and Jones RB3s in a typical 12-team league—maybe even an RB2 in a larger league or for a team that addresses other positions first on drauction day.

So, which of the trio of aforementioned backs are you most excited about/comfortable with for the upcoming season, as an RB3 just an ACL or DUI away from becoming an every-week starter for your squad? What did you see in Jones’ abbreviated rookie campaign, Benson’s brief stint in Cincy, or McFadden’s first year in Oakland that has you optimistic about their 2009 prospects?

Just those 3? I don't really like any of them but of those would say Felix Jones.

I like Ray Rice(32 RB-ADP) and Ryan Grant(20 RB-ADP) better.

Edited by Randall

Benson has the most improved schedule to go against and he has what should be a healthy QB in Palmer. He's also the only one that should be pretty much fulltime though McFadden could surprise if he stayed healthy and delivered on his initial promise.

Insteresting grouping - two high risk/high reward rookies last year that were injured and Benson, the poster boy for unrealized potential.

I for one don't by the second year hype surrounding McFadden. He was a one gap runner in college and I don't think his game translates well in the pros...plus he plays for the Raiders.

Of those three, I like Felix Jones to make the biggest leap, he's in a good situation in Dallas where they know that Barber is not effective as an every down back and he's got a legitimate QB to keep defenses honest.

I can't imagine Benson being productive over an entire season.

I'll agree with Randall though, if push really came to shove, I'd put my money on Ray Rice, I think he has a chance to really break out this season with the Ravens and if I can get him at good value, he's coming my way everytime.

WashD

Jones is limited no matter which way you look. He has Barber and Choice both cutting into his opportunities, and those guys will carry a substantial portion of the load.

Benson is a turd. Even last year when CIN was praising him, his ypc was well below the Mendoza line. I think he's going to yield time & carries - most probably to Bernard Scott provided Scott can stay out of trouble. When it all shakes out, Scott has quite a bit more talent than Benson.

That leaves McFadden by default. OAK will find more ways to get the ball in his hands, and if they look to remain a running team (not by choice).

I like Ray Rice(32 RB-ADP) and Ryan Grant(20 RB-ADP) better.

Rice would have been a good addition to this group. Grant was a top 25 back last year, the jump to 20 isn't all that great, which is why he was excluded.

2V

Question: To a Ravens reporter...

What player do you think will surprise everyone on the upside?

Answer: I’m not sure if it will qualify as a surprise, but running back Ray Rice is emerging as a more physical runner this year. Rice has gained some muscle in his upper body and should be better suited to run between the tackles.

He took the majority of the first-string carries during the minicamps with Willis McGahee sidelined following arthroscopic knee surgery. I thought Rice looked strong, quick and ready to shoulder a bigger workload this fall.