[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Board Meeting - To Flex or not to Flex

DMD

Your league Rules  

55 members have voted

1. 1. What sort of lineup do you prefer?

• Fixed positions for every team
    • A flex position allowing freedom of choice for one slot
  2. 2. Which sort of flex do you prefer?

• A flex position allowing either a RB, WR or TE
    • A flex position allowing either a QB, RB, WR or TE

What is your preferred sort of lineups - fixed or with a flex position. Seems more and more leagues opt for the flex position but many are never going to change.

And if you like flex - what about the newest thing with having a second QB?

QB is a different animal than other positions, I don't want a scenario where you could start 2 QB's.

Only way I'd play in a 2 QB league is if it were a 16 teamer.

Edited by tazinib1

Why?

Seems like bye-week adjustment would be more annoying than it's worth. Or were you saying 1QB and 1 in flex?

If you're gonna do a 2 QB league, then anything less than a 16 team league is kinda boring if you ask me.

I have played in a 2 QB scenario a few times (including my, ahem, $10,000 win as the Champ of Texas) and it is okay. It gives you another option and if it is a PPR league, the differnce between QB and RB/WR is not that much if at all. It mixes up the draft more as well since they are taken earlier than usual because most teams overvalue what QB-QB really means. Particularly later in the season when many QBs are contending with bad weather and a heavier reliance on RBs.

If you're gonna do a 2 QB league, then anything less than a 16 team league is kinda boring if you ask me.

seems to me like you've got it backwards. 2 QBs makes more sense in smaller leagues, less sense in larger ones.

in any case, I like flex positions IF your scoring is such that marginal starters at each position score relatively equally. I think basic PPR scoring accomplishes this fairly well. graduated PPR (where a TE gets 1.5, a WR gets 1, and a RB gets .5 -- for example) accomplishes it a little better IMO.

in any case, I like flex positions IF your scoring is such that marginal starters at each position score relatively equally. I think basic PPR scoring accomplishes this fairly well. graduated PPR (where a TE gets 1.5, a WR gets 1, and a RB gets .5 -- for example) accomplishes it a little better IMO.

This.. and that includes QBs if those marginal QBs (ie the 16-22 ranked guys in a 12 teamer) are scoring similar to the comparable RBs and WRs (and TEs) that would be considered for the flex, otherwise, leave the QB separate.

seems to me like you've got it backwards. 2 QBs makes more sense in smaller leagues, less sense in larger ones.

+1

As long as it does not allow a starting roster that contains: a) 2 QBs; or B ) 3RBs, I'm ok with it.

i think that the best "flex" setup requires you to start 1 QB, 1 RB, 2WRs, a TE and your choice of a RB/WR/TE.

Edited by Furd

As long as it does not allow a starting roster that contains: a) 2 QBs; or B ) 3RBs, I'm ok with it.

i think that the best "flex" setup requires you to start 1 QB, 1 RB, 2WRs, a TE and your choice of a RB/WR/TE.

Agree.

+1

QBs get way over-valued in a flex like that.

I was in a league back in 2004 where we could have any position be a flex, QB included. All the sheep in the league who were taking RBs in the first round laughed at me when my first 2 picks were Manning and Culpepper. Needless to say, I had the last laugh that season.

mostly agree... i like 2 flex (but still a max of 2 rb's)

Question for those that stated no to a 2nd QB -

If the conditions stated in this post were met, would you still say no to a 2nd QB? If so, why?

This.. and that includes QBs if those marginal QBs (ie the 16-22 ranked guys in a 12 teamer) are scoring similar to the comparable RBs and WRs (and TEs) that would be considered for the flex, otherwise, leave the QB separate.

I felt that way pretty strongly, but was outvoted in a league last year that did 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE and 1 RB/WR/TE flex. but it was PPR. and, IMO, the way things ended up, the RB/WR balance wasn't completely out of whack. it was actually pretty damn good, somewhat to my surprise. PPR draws a lot of sting out of the fantasy wishbone.

Our 12 team league went to a flex position 2 years ago as a means of combating the dreaded RBBC. We allow you to start 1 RB and 3 WR's as opposed to the norm 2 RB's and 2 WR's. We also have mandatory TE. Depending on your scoring system it seems to me that a QB will almost always be the top scoring position esp in performamnce leagues. Our flex position worked well when getting around RBBC, RB injuries and bye weeks. It also changed the dynamics of our draft. I draft 10th this year and am seriously considering 2 stud WR's with my 1st and 2nd round pick in our snake draft. Should be able to get my RB's in round 3 or 4..... Just a thought

Addressing both the 'flex' question and the 2-QBs, here's an unusual one for you: I'm in a really old league (no jokes, please), been around for 20 + years, started as a game called "Coach The Pros". Currently there are only 6 teams (no jokes yet), but there were more in the past. Each team drafts 3 QBs, starts 2. (And 6 RBs, start 4, 7 WRs, start 4, etc) But there is NO waiver wire, just one re-draft at the halfway point in which you can drop any players and replace with a like position. Then there is our version of the "flex" - a Wild-Card position (draft 3, start 2) from any position. Usually this comes from the leftover QBs, but since 18 are already gone, there aren't enough for 3 each, so other positions get used, typically WRs. Only the players drafted as wild cards can be used in this position, not the extra players from the regular positions. There is usually some choice between taking a backup QB who might get some playing time, or a starting WR.

Not claiming this is anywhere near "the best" way to run a league, but it does make an interesting challenge at the draft. A lot more choices in every draft spot. Some quickly try to get 2 top QBs, others load up on stud RBs, some try best available.

Addressing both the 'flex' question and the 2-QBs, here's an unusual one for you: I'm in a really old league (no jokes, please), been around for 20 + years, started as a game called "Coach The Pros". Currently there are only 6 teams (no jokes yet), but there were more in the past. Each team drafts 3 QBs, starts 2. (And 6 RBs, start 4, 7 WRs, start 4, etc) But there is NO waiver wire, just one re-draft at the halfway point in which you can drop any players and replace with a like position. Then there is our version of the "flex" - a Wild-Card position (draft 3, start 2) from any position. Usually this comes from the leftover QBs, but since 18 are already gone, there aren't enough for 3 each, so other positions get used, typically WRs. Only the players drafted as wild cards can be used in this position, not the extra players from the regular positions. There is usually some choice between taking a backup QB who might get some playing time, or a starting WR.

Not claiming this is anywhere near "the best" way to run a league, but it does make an interesting challenge at the draft. A lot more choices in every draft spot. Some quickly try to get 2 top QBs, others load up on stud RBs, some try best available.

Dude, that league is a joke.

:wacko:

I felt that way pretty strongly, but was outvoted in a league last year that did 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE and 1 RB/WR/TE flex. but it was PPR. and, IMO, the way things ended up, the RB/WR balance wasn't completely out of whack. it was actually pretty damn good, somewhat to my surprise. PPR draws a lot of sting out of the fantasy wishbone.

I'd never consdered that.

Steel, I don't like the idea of an Oklahoma Sooner backfield from the 70s. (My apologies to Elvis Peacock)

Gratuitous bump as it was ignored thus far.

Question for those that stated no to a 2nd QB -

If the conditions stated in this post were met, would you still say no to a 2nd QB? If so, why?