[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Team QB vs Ind. QB

HeadBanger

Every year I am involved in an argument in more than 1 of my leagues on whether or not to utilize Team QB's or not. I am against the use, but I would like to hear ( or read ) arguments for and against this argument. Let me know what you think.

For those who may not know what Team QB's is, it is for when a quarterback gets injured during a game you can include his backups fantasy points as a team score for the position. It is my opinion that if your QB goes down, you're SOL.

"Team" anything dumbs down the league. There's little decision making in regard to rostering handcuffs or using the additional roster space for either another starting QB or another skill player - you just draft based upon which team is likely to accumulate the most passing yards, set the QB position on auto-pilot all year, and worry about byes.

If you want safe and easy - Team QB is your best friend. I prefer more challenge in my leagues.

"Team" anything dumbs down the league. There's little decision making in regard to rostering handcuffs or using the additional roster space for either another starting QB or another skill player - you just draft based upon which team is likely to accumulate the most passing yards, set the QB position on auto-pilot all year, and worry about byes.

If you want safe and easy - Team QB is your best friend. I prefer more challenge in my leagues.

agreed. and with 32 teams, it's not like it's hard to find a playing backup, which adds more strategy.

My local uses the "team QB" designation. The majority of owners wanted SOME points each week even if the starter got hurt. I personally voted against it for the same reasons BB gave.

Yup, I agree with the above. It really dumbs things down. You might as well just pick an NFL franchise and play off their points every week.

People don't normally use Team RB's, WR's, etc... so why should there be a team QB?

Ie if my starting RB gets hurt I don't automatically get his backup. Same should be true for QB's.

I am not saying I like the idea, but this is a terrible analogy. Teams typically don't play 3-4 QBs a game.

2008 represented a tremendous year for rookies in terms of fantasy football. I know because I rode 2 of them (Chris Johnson and Matt Forte) to a league championship. What will the draft class of 2009 have in store for fantasy owners come this fall? Personally, I don't believe that this years class is talented as last years but time will tell. The following represent my preliminary takes regarding the 2009 draft class:

--Matthew Stafford QB (DET)

What kind of pro QB will Stafford be? Will he be like Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco or will his fate be more similar to Tim Couch or Joey Harrington? Fantasy owners likely won't have a chance to find out next season. Although Lions coach Jim Schwartz said he will keep an open mind in the battle for the top spot on the depth chart, more than likely Daunte Culpepper will be the starting QB for Detroit when they open the season against the Saints in the Superdome September, 13th. That scenario doesn't allow Stafford much of a chance to make an impact in fantasy circles. Moreover, it's hard to envision a scenario where he comes out and has any value as a rookie. Ryan and Flacco were both fifth-year seniors coming out of college and possessed much more maturity heading into the NFL than the underclassman Stafford does. Stafford's value will be limited to keeper and dynasty leagues on fantasy Draft Day.

SPAM!!!

(See his sig...)