[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Carson Palmer

hooknladder

the O-line is definetly suspect and the status of his injury is still an unknown, -however, we're gonna see how that arm is doing long before most drafts. i know he's never been really stellar, but with the addition of Coles, and Ocho and Henry appearing to finally have there acts together, coupled with an improving Benson...i'm starting to think Palmer may have a solid year if the injury is not an issue. :wacko:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

don't know if ocho has his act together per se, but I like Palmer as even a 1st qb in 12+ leagues, if you wanna wait on qb and take the overwhelming number of rb & wr sleepers while others are drafting more prominent qb's; also like ced ben. They're both crazy enough to work, high risk high reward here

Nope. Palmer has regressed. Until he re-learns to get rid of the ball quickly and to step into this throws, I don't see him getting any better. He also lost his favorite target. He has played frantic and scared the last few seasons. It isn't a good trend. Watch him a few times, he looks sheepish. There is something wrong in his head. Throw in the fact that Ocho will be tripled this year instead of his standard double-coverage, I think this could get ugly. Either way, he is so incredibly inconsistent at this point that I would consider him unstartable.

Edited by Seahawks21

Nope. Palmer has regressed. Until he re-learns to get rid of the ball quickly and to step into this throws, I don't see him getting any better. He also lost his favorite target. He has played frantic and scared the last few seasons. It isn't a good trend. Watch him a few times, he looks sheepish. There is something wrong in his head. Throw in the fact that Ocho will be tripled this year instead of his standard double-coverage, I think this could get ugly. Either way, he is so incredibly inconsistent at this point that I would consider him unstartable.

i think alot of that has to do with the offensive line play(they need to avoid a holdout with smith)....the last few times ive watched the bungles...the OL has been horrible....i think that might have to do with "frantic and scared"....although thats still not a good sign.....im sure hes still a little scared to really step into his throws when there are guys around him...worried that someones at his feet.....which is why im really interested to see how my boy tom brady reacts this year....i want to see if hes a little timid to step into his throws with guys in front him...and if this affects his accuracy

Now see, the idea that Palmer could have a breakout indicates the problem. For the three seasons prior to 2008, he averaged about 4000 yards and 29 TDs per season. And that included coming back from a knee injury to play seven months later. Let's look a those three years wi th Huddle standard scoring:

2005 345-509-3836, 32 TD (ranked 6th)

2006 324-520-4035, 28 TD (ranked 5th)

2007 373-575, 4131, 26 TD (ranked 9th)

He broke out long ago. He had just one bad year when he missed 12 games because of injury.

I do not see any dropoff there. Palmer is only 30 years old. He could play another five to seven years easily health willing.

What I guess some remember is that his first four games last year prior to his elbow injury was:

@BAL 94 yds, 0 TD

TEN 134 yds, 0 TD

@NYG 286 yds, 1 TD

@DAL 217 yds, 2 TD

Of course those were all four of the best defenses and three came on the road.

The idea that Palmer has lesser wideouts I would question. First off, Johnson for all his warts has led the NFL twice in receiving yards. Plus Laveranues Coles is replacing Houshmandzadeh and they drafted a pass catching TE and they have Chris Henry and they have Andre Caldwell who is an up and comer. Lastly, there is a question that I have always found the same answer for - does the QB make the reciever or vicer-versa. In pretty much all cases, it is the QB. It is my contention that Houshmandzadeh is a good wideout that Palmer made great. Hasselbeck is no slouch in SEA so that helps TJ but TJ has not been the #1 before as well.

I think Palmer is a tremendous #2 QB and I would have no problem making him my #1 if I waited on QB. In fact I have in 2 drafts so far .

Now see, the idea that Palmer could have a breakout indicates the problem. For the three seasons prior to 2008, he averaged about 4000 yards and 29 TDs per season. And that included coming back from a knee injury to play seven months later. Let's look a those three years wi th Huddle standard scoring:

He broke out long ago. He had just one bad year when he missed 12 games because of injury.

I do not see any dropoff there. Palmer is only 30 years old. He could play another five to seven years easily health willing.

What I guess some remember is that his first four games last year prior to his elbow injury was:

@BAL 94 yds, 0 TD

TEN 134 yds, 0 TD

@NYG 286 yds, 1 TD

@DAL 217 yds, 2 TD

The idea that Palmer has lesser wideouts I would question. First off, Johnson for all his warts has led the NFL twice in receiving yards. Plus Laveranues Coles is replacing Houshmandzadeh and they drafted a pass catching TE and they have Chris Henry and they have Andre Caldwell who is an up and comer. Lastly, there is a question that I have always found the same answer for - does the QB make the reciever or vicer-versa. In pretty much all cases, it is the QB. It is my contention that Houshmandzadeh is a good wideout that Palmer made great. Hasselbeck is no slouch in SEA so that helps TJ but TJ has not been the #1 before as well.

I think Palmer is a tremendous #2 QB and I would have no problem making him my #1 if I waited on QB. In fact I have in 2 drafts so far .

great minds think alike :wacko:

I still don't trust CJ, but I wouldn't hesitate picking up Coles in the later rounds.

Coles is one of those guys that could very easily be a top 12 or better WR this year and it wouldnt surprise me one bit

@BAL 94 yds, 0 TD

TEN 134 yds, 0 TD

@NYG 286 yds, 1 TD

@DAL 217 yds, 2 TD

i think "break-out" was a poor choice of words. perhaps i should have again gone with "return to form"....i'm thinking in terms of that '05 season with more yds and less fumbles.

if anyone on that team is going to "break-out" it's possibly Henry.

*BJ, could you possibly change the sub-title to "return to form"

Edited by hooknladder

@BAL 94 yds, 0 TD

TEN 134 yds, 0 TD

@NYG 286 yds, 1 TD

@DAL 217 yds, 2 TD

DMD knows stuff. I was wondering "wt*" with that "has never been stellar" remark.

But I wish you'd have kept this to yourself; how am I supposed to get this guy cheap w/posts like this :wacko:

PS I doubt you'll get Coles late in most drafts. I don't see much drop-off from TJ to him and think TJ will be over-priced in most drafts.

I still don't trust CJ, but I wouldn't hesitate picking up Coles in the later rounds.

I'm the exact opposite. I'll be waiting to see how far Ocho drops and snatch him up. I think he comes back to form this year and the Bengals are much improved.

it's a contract year for henry and he has been more present in the local media talking up doing the right things. even the convicts know how their bread is buttered so i would expect him to step it up. if he can provide the deep threat, that will open things up for chad and coles ... and don't forget coffman.

the thing i hate about palmer is that he is so one-dimensional. one read, maybe two, and that's it. if the play breaks down, he breaks down. he has got to be more mobile and more improvisational if he is going to have a big year. that, and the o-line needs to improve.

i don't consider palmer in the 7th or 8th round all that much of a steal, frankly. the bengals are in a tough division and i don't expect palmer to change all that much. he has more motivated receivers, which helps, but i'm not overly excited here.

DMD knows stuff. I was wondering "wt*" with that "has never been stellar" remark.

But I wish you'd have kept this to yourself; how am I supposed to get this guy cheap w/posts like this :wacko:

PS I doubt you'll get Coles late in most drafts. I don't see much drop-off from TJ to him and think TJ will be over-priced in most drafts.

EVERYBODY knows stuff...here's what NFL.com knows:

YEAR YDS TD/INT FUMB

2004 2897 18/18 2

2005 3836 32/12 5 (solid)

2006 4035 28/13 15

2007 4131 26/20 5

2008 731 3/4 2

hardly stellar. check out the fumbles. ONE solid year (2005).

what i'm wondering is if he can return to that 2005 form with more yds and less fumbles to make him valuable @ his ADP for the 1st time in a long time.

Lastly, there is a question that I have always found the same answer for - does the QB make the reciever or vicer-versa. In pretty much all cases, it is the QB. It is my contention that Houshmandzadeh is a good wideout that Palmer made great. Hasselbeck is no slouch in SEA so that helps TJ but TJ has not been the #1 before as well.

I 100% agree with this (and with the entire post in general) - only truly great WRs will get their #s regardless of QB.

But a good QB will do well unless he has complete garbage at WR/TE. Coles is fine, and CJ should bounce back a bit (though I'll still avoid him in drafts). Palmer's rec won't be the problem, if there is one.

2006 4035 28/13 15

2007 4131 26/20 5

2008 731 3/4 2

what i'm wondering is if he can return to that 2005 form with more yds and less fumbles to make him valuable @ his ADP for the 1st time in a long time.

You don't lose pts for fumbles in most leagues. 15 ain't great but it's not unheard of for a QB.

I'd count '05 and '06 as very good, possible great. '07 is more in the solid vein.

You have weird expectations for QBs - anything short of MVP level appears to be subpar.

You don't lose pts for fumbles in most leagues. 15 ain't great but it's not unheard of for a QB.

I'd count '05 and '06 as very good, possible great. '07 is more in the solid vein.

You have weird expectations for QBs - anything short of MVP level appears to be subpar.

1st of all, i'm in a league that deducts for every fumble...so 15 is a killer. in terms of Carsons past ADP he has been a let down.(except '05) .when you say "great", i think Manning and Brady (don't forget, Palmer was in the same sentence as those guys back then). the '06 season you describe as possibly "great", Marc Bulger finished ahead of Palmer...who got the fantasy VALUE out of the ADP?

Edited by hooknladder

No kidding. And deducting for fumbles that aren't lost, wth?

I'd love this guy as my QB2 but doubt it's happening. He won't go cheap enough.

Although if I toss him out early..hmm...

the '06 season you describe as possibly "great", Marc Bulger finished ahead of Palmer...who got the fantasy VALUE out of the ADP?

So you throw out one guy who topped his ADP (and probably not by all that much - his metrics were right in line with what he'd been doing the previous 3 yrs) in Bulger and that means Palmer sucked that year? Oooooooooooookay.

So you throw out one guy who topped his ADP (and probably not by all that much - his metrics were right in line with what he'd been doing the previous 3 yrs) in Bulger and that means Palmer sucked that year? Oooooooooooookay.

Palmers ADP was around 20...could'nt find Bulger, i suspect it was much lower...i'm sure someone has it. as i previously explained we deduct for all fumbles, also award for own FUMB recovered(discussed ad nauseum last year) ...so i'm not sure where he came out on that.(not even real sure about that NFL.com stat)

however expectations were very high for Palmer in '06...MVP high; and i think his season was a bit of a let down for where he was drafted.(hardly "great")

so the gyst of the thread is ...-could Palmer have '06 Bulger type value with an ADP in the low 80's?

...-could Palmer have '06 Bulger type value with an ADP in the low 80's?

COULD he?

Of course he could. The question is "WILL he?"

I don't see him putting up his 05/06 #s - the Bengals are too much of a mess at this juncture; but IF his arm looks good, some might value him as a nice QB2 option with potential to jump up to QB1.

Still, personally, I think the Bengals are back to their typical trainwreck status. I'll be avoiding.

EVERYBODY knows stuff...here's what NFL.com knows:

YEAR YDS TD/INT FUMB

2004 2897 18/18 2

2006 4035 28/13 15

2007 4131 26/20 5

2008 731 3/4 2

3836 32/12 is way better than solid.

4035 28/13 is way better than solid