[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Board Meeting - Auctions vs Drafts

DMD

Drafting Styles  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Which is better - Draft or Auction?

• Drafts - easy to plan, structured
    • Auctions - all players available!
    • Prefer a mix of both
  2. 2. Have you ever been in an FF auction?

• Yes
    • No

is there a site for doing live auctions this year? fantasy auctioneer appears to be, umm, taking a year off. :wacko:

ESPN is about it I think. Course there's always chat room but then you have to keep track.

Read my post above bro. My owners fought it and now LOVE it.

I think this is the case about 90%+ of the time.

Hey DMD this might be a good place to link to that article you did (sort of a "table") showing why auctions are way fairer and better than snake drafts.

I'm definitely intrigued by the auction concept. I'd do it in a heartbeat, but my league mates aren't as motivated to try new and different things.

It does seem like the auction becomes more high maintenance to run than a draft. A spreadsheet calculator is easy enough, the timer for bidding is more difficult without software. As popular as the idea seems here, I'm surprised ESPN is the only game around.

I've recently tried my first couple mock auctions and find them highly entertaining. It DOES appear to take discipline, practice, and planning to come out with a balanced team.

My second 10 team mock attempt: (QB) Rodgers, Palmer (RB) Pierre Thomas, Addai, D.Brown, C.Wells, Benson (WR) Roddy White, Jennings, Reggie Wayne, DeSean Jackson, Coles (TE) Witten, Olsen (DEF) Eagles (K) Gostowski

My running backs turned out poorly, mainly because there were major battles over all the early RBs. Luckily, all my other positions ended up pretty stellar mainly cause I let everyone else overspend on the early RBs.

Edited by Company of Heroes

It does seem like the auction becomes more high maintenance to run than a draft.
Grilling a steak is more high maintenance than nuking a hot dog too. :wacko::D

A spreadsheet calculator is easy enough, the timer for bidding is more difficult without software.
? If you are drafting in person - which is by far the best way to do it - you don't need a timer.

Yeah, I guess. But it seems like it could take a LONG time live with no time kept.

Ive run 25 live drafts, never kept a timer. It generally evens out. Some teams take 2 minutes other 20 seconds. If one guy always takes long I push him along. If a team flies through their first 5 picks and then takes a while you let them. In the end it's about 2 to 2.5 hours for us every year.

Just ran my first live auction on a conference call. It went fairly well but I don't know if I'd recommend it. It was about six hours. I would love to have another crack at one in person with every owner having plenty of time.

Being able to make eye contact and read body language would make it so much faster and more fun. Bidding would be soooo much better.

For me the kind of league determines a draft vs auction.

Starting a dynasty: Auction all the way

Keeper league: Either works but I say draft based on reserve order of finish.

Redraft: Probably auction is best but for the casual fan we use a snake draft. It is my most casual league.

Ive run 25 live drafts, never kept a timer. It generally evens out. Some teams take 2 minutes other 20 seconds. If one guy always takes long I push him along. If a team flies through their first 5 picks and then takes a while you let them. In the end it's about 2 to 2.5 hours for us every year.

Just ran my first live auction on a conference call. It went fairly well but I don't know if I'd recommend it. It was about six hours. I would love to have another crack at one in person with every owner having plenty of time.

Being able to make eye contact and read body language would make it so much faster and more fun. Bidding would be soooo much better.

For me the kind of league determines a draft vs auction.

Starting a dynasty: Auction all the way

Keeper league: Either works but I say draft based on reserve order of finish.

Redraft: Probably auction is best but for the casual fan we use a snake draft. It is my most casual league.

Our auction (live) takes about 3 hours. This is with breaks every few "nominating rounds." Try it live...the difference is night and day. One season, an owner had to remain in North Carolina as his son was ill. He was on speaker and it was always difficult to hear him as he bid, we had to keep repeating things for him, etc.

That year aside, all (4 of 12) out of state owners fly in (the date is always set one year in advance) and I have an outside party be our auctioneer. They get to eat and drink for free, so it is well worth it.

Good info here, thanks.

Also, for those who run auctions:

-Do in-season transactions work differently in an auction league (are there $ value considerations for trades, or do you need $ left after the draft for waivers)?

-Do any of you use keepers in your auction leagues, and if so, how are they managed?

Good info here, thanks.

Also, for those who run auctions:

-Do in-season transactions work differently in an auction league (are there $ value considerations for trades, or do you need $ left after the draft for waivers)?

-Do any of you use keepers in your auction leagues, and if so, how are they managed?

Good follow ups here.

Each team receives $100 as their cap for waivers. We do a blind bid, followed by a first come, first served. Waiver dollars can be traded.

My local is a modified keeper league. Teams have the option of keeping one player. The cost is that they went for at the auction, plus $5. If you are keeping a player picked up off waivers, they carry a $1 cost (plus $5). I am looking to change this.

Edited by The Wolf

Yeah, I guess. But it seems like it could take a LONG time live with no time kept.

Only if you're drafting with morons. Our auction drafts have always been quicker than snake drafts because we don't f around. There is no "hurry up and pick." You snooze you lose.

Neither of these have anything to do with auction drafts per se, ie you can run however you want just as you otherwise would. Personally I hate bidding for FAs (esp blind bidding) and avoid such leagues. Re keepers vs redraft I'm fine with either.