[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

370 Carries

Jackass

This is partially in response to the "players to avoid" article that i just finished reading (excellent piece, btw). It's common knowledge by now that michael turner exceeded this magical # last year. What i'm wondering though is shouldn't playoff games be counted in this total and shouldn't there by a different # that includes these? Seems like those extra carries would have a huge impact as they could add 50+ carries to this #. just wondering if anyone's ever looked at that.

well, in years where Alexander and Tomlinson went deep into the playoffs and had a large number of carries, they came back the next year with no juice at all...

however, every team that made it at least to the divisional round used a RBBC system and that kinda throws a wrench into things....

Aaron Schatz was the one that first wrote about the curse of 370 - and he has now amended it to include 390 carries if playoffs are involved.

Aaron Schatz was the one that first wrote about the curse of 370 - and he has now amended it to include 390 carries if playoffs are involved.

I have also read arguments that those affected by the 370 curse also had a lot of mileage in the past. Turner never even came close to 200 carries before. I am not dismissing the 370 curse and I have always avoided players except LT. He had a 370 + carry season and then had over 2300 yards the next season. Hopefully I will not have to make that decision when the draft comes.

I have also read arguments that those affected by the 370 curse also had a lot of mileage in the past. Turner never even came close to 200 carries before. I am not dismissing the 370 curse and I have always avoided players except LT. He had a 370 + carry season and then had over 2300 yards the next season. Hopefully I will not have to make that decision when the draft comes.

I thought about that as well, and this point definitely needs to be taken into consideration.

How Long Stud Running Backs Last is on the homepage now and has the number of touches that the stud RBs of the last ten years had. Players like Curtis Martin or Emmitt Smith had many year stretches of over 380 touches per season.

There just aren't RBs getting as many carries as there used to be like that. I think we need to take a step back and look at the big picture. The days of the every-down back are becoming a fading memory. I think this is partially due to just the way the game has become more specialized over the years. And the fact that defenders are getting bigger and stronger, thus the cumulative effects of hits over the course of the season have a bigger impact on a RBs durability. I wouldn't poo poo this theory just because some "dinosaurs" (and in the NFL anything that happened over 5 years ago seems prehistoric) managed to pile up 370+ without immediate repercussions.

I think the 370+ mark is way more relevant today than it was 10 years ago.