[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

MJD backup?

Any Jax homers or anyone else have the scoop on who will actually backup MJD this season? I was under the impression it would be Jennings but now I'm hearing Jones. Anyone have a gut feeling on this one?

Any Jax homers or anyone else have the scoop on who will actually backup MJD this season? I was under the impression it would be Jennings but now I'm hearing Jones. Anyone have a gut feeling on this one?

There have been several threads started on here talking about this and guys like Keggerz believe that Jones will be getting the touches behind MJD and others believe that Jennings will be the guy. I for one believe that all the RBs will play roles that will keep any of them, behind MJD, from being fantasy relevant. MJD will be an absolute STUD and worthy of the #1 or #2 overall selection in PPR leagues (after Forte) and the rest are basically WW fodder, unless you're in a really deep league, especially TD leagues, and then maybe Greg Jones has value.

Edited by irish

Del Rio said Jones will get 5-10 carries but then Jaguars.com said it'll be a 2 horse race so who knows?

In a dynasty league I just took Greg Jones off of waivers as a handcuff for MJD.

Big John took Rasheed Jennings before me in the rookie draft--much earlier than I ever expected him to go-dang it :wacko: Huddlers who watch college football seem quite impressed but me who does not; if he is so good why did he go so late?

if he is so good why did he go so late?

A lot of very good RBs went later than they normally would have. There were some risks associated with all of them - for example Jennings, who played against lesser competion. Don't let that fool you that he went so late. There were a number of these types of guys and they dropped further than they should have. We're seeing an unusual dearth of quality RBs in the NFL right now, which would explain the drop.

Not a homer, but I live here. From what I've heard it's Jones' job to lose. Keep in mind that Jennings will see a couple of touches, maybe even in the kick return game. Keep in mind also that we haven't even seen the jags camp yet, so alot can change if this kid Jennings shows us something. We should know something more after the first preseason game, or maybe even a little before if Jennings is more than a "couple touches a game" guy.

• 2 weeks later...

It has been an enormous offseason for Jaguars running back Maurice Jones-Drew. After the Jaguars finished up a disappointing 2008 campaign, Jones-Drew lost his running mate and mentor in the backfield, as a youth movement caused the team to cut ties with “Mr. Jaguar,” Fred Taylor.

“This was a difficult decision to come to, but a decision that had to be made despite how we all feel about Fred,” Jaguars general manager Gene Smith said back in February when the team decided to go in a different direction without Taylor.

As the Jaguars released Taylor, it was clear that Maurice Jones-Drew was now the face of the team’s backfield, if not the organization. In three seasons after being drafted with the 60th overall pick from UCLA, Jones-Drew has been by far the most productive back of his draft class as he’s scored 42 touchdowns.

Jones-Drew believes that his success hasn’t come from formations or trickery, but more winning one-on-one battles.

“It’s not about tricking,” Jones-Drew said. It’s about going out there and whipping the man in front of you.”

Jones-Drew’s powerful style wouldn’t have many confusing him with a scat-back, but he can catch the ball as well as anyone in the league. Maurice believes that his role with the team won’t change much with Fred Taylor gone.

“I don’t think my role is going to change at all, to tell you the truth,” Jones-Drew told ESPN’s First Take. “I’ll still be running the ball, and catching the ball out of the backfield. I may catch the ball a little more, other than that I think it will be pretty much the same.”

The Jaguars still figure to split carries with Jones-Drew obviously getting the majority of the touches. Maurice still believes that the team has plenty of depth in the backfield even without Taylor.

“We pride ourselves on having a bunch of running backs that are versatile and we have a bunch of guys who are stepping up, Greg Jones, Rashad Jennings, Chauncey Washington, Montell Owens, Alvin Pearman,” Jones-Drew said.

Maurice Jones-Drew still figures to get most of the goal-line and short yardage carries, being he may be the best in the league in that role. Still, with Greg Jones, second-year pro Chauncey Washington, and seventh-round pick Rashad Jennings, Jones-Drew may not have to carry the ball 25 times per game.

http://jac.scout.com/2/884475.html