[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

State of the Broncos

DMD

Denver Broncos  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Kyle Orton. Really? How well will he do?

• Surprise! Just as good as Cutler.
    • Surprise! He doesn't suck. Makes for a low end QB1
    • Anything more than a fantasy backup means your league has a crack problem
  2. 2. Do you consider Brandon Marshall as a top 12 WR?

• Sure - he was last year
    • Not a chance
  3. 3. Can Knowshon Moreno make a big difference this year?

• Stud boy, maybe ROY
    • Meh - good but no game breaker
    • Over-valued on this rebuilding team

State of the Broncos

Big year for the Broncos without Shanahan around. Josh Daniels cut Cutler loose to less than polite applause. There is speculation that he is either a genius or in way over his head. Coming from New England, will he continue that maddening RBBC that drains all value?

Will he too make a mockery of the injury report? NE and DEN usually ruled in this and now he is both.

he is turning them into the bears (but w/out a defense). going run 1st with the rook will help orton. marshall (if they can hold him), royal, and the te's will help.

no way they throw like they did last year. for that reason i think marshall's numbers drop (vs orton not being as good)...ok maybe a little of both.

i think moreno will do a nice job.

I've been watching Denver in stunned amazement and if I was a fan of theirs I'd be really, really pissed. It's as if a rival GM has inhabited the soul of Pat Bowlen and is sabotaging the team from within, there is simply no other explanation. I just don't get it at all.

4-12.

While I agree that strange things are afoot, one of the primary reasons that Bowlen let Shanny go was that he lost control of the players. McD has done questionable things, but now the players have fallen in line and that's one of Bowlen's goals.

What? You were screaming for McD's head 2 months ago :wacko:

If you and Bronco Billy both start touting McD at the same time, something is definitely afoot.

I'm not sure it's all McDaniel's fault, but at the end of the day I just don't see the players on either side of the ball to be good enough to beat the Chargers, and I don't think that division gets more than the champ into the playoffs. I don't think they're a playoff team, but I'm not sure they fall completely on their face either. Low end, the wheels fall of and it's 3-5 wins, more likely 6-8.

I like where their offensive players are falling in drafts for the most part. I'd stay away from Marshall with a 4 week long pole. Moreno's going about where he ought to, but I see a potential upside value with him. Eddie Royal has potential to be a great steal as a WR3 level pick right now. Kyle Orton is probably right about borderline QB1 material.

What? You were screaming for McD's head 2 months ago :wacko:

If you and Bronco Billy both start touting McD at the same time, something is definitely afoot.

:D

Their D will be the worst in the league. The only saving grace statistically is that they have 4 games vs offensively inept OAK & KC.

There is just nothing there on the D line. They're pimping SF's former 3rd string NT as a legit starting force. 3-4 Ds only work if the line can keep opposing O-linemen off the LBs, since the LBs need to play a little deeper to scrape across the entire field. DEN's LBs are going to be outnumbered at the point of attack, sometimes maybe 2 to 1 on well schemed plays.

The only way Denver is going to win games this year is to rack up some massive points. Shortening the game by running the ball only works if your D can get an occasional stop - and I would seriously expect opposing Os to be in the 5.0+ ypc when rushing the ball. If DEN is going to get into track meets with opponents, trading off one of the top young QBs in the game for a game manager like Orton (or worse, a scrub who ought to be in the CFL like Simms) and pissing off one of the arguably best WRs in the league isn't a very good way to go about it. People brag on DEN's O-line - and it's a good one - but Cutler's strength and ability had a lot to do with the lack of sacks.

This is going to be a bad year. It wouldn't shock me if they went 2-4 at best in the division and 2-8 at best the rest of the way. The only potential cupcakes out of division on their schedule are CIN & CLE, split away and home, in weeks 1 & 2. Then they play at OAK in week 3. So they catch the potential weaker teams while they are still trying to figure out McDumbiels system in real games. It wouldn't s`urprise me in the least to see a 2-14 or a 3-13 season, and if they get to 6-10 there should be great rejoicing among Bronco fans.

If they aren't 2-1after week 3 watch the free fall begin. How's this for a muderer's row:

Week 4 DAL

Week 5 NE

Week 6 @ SD

Week 7 bye

Week 8 @ BAL

Week 9 PIT

Week 10 @ WAS

Week 11 SD

Week 12 NYG

Week 13 @ KC (where they always struggle)

Week 14 @ IND

Edited by Bronco Billy

going to be an ugly year. knowshon moreno might be worth owning from a fantasy perspective. maybe marshall and/or royal as well, but not with the kind of numbers they had last year. orton might be worth having as a backup, because with that defense they will be behind in a lot of games. actually, their offense will probably be in the top half of the league, because they still have a good o-line and some talent at RB and WR. but the team will lose 10+ for sure, with a great chance at losing 13+.

My wife called me up a week ago to let me know that she could get a special deal and buy tickets to any game this season.

I said, "Meh. I'm not sure I need to go this year. I don't think they are going to win any games at all."

"Not even against the Raiders?"

:wacko: "Ok, yeah... get Raiders tickets."

Edited by AtomicCEO

Does anyone else find it interesting that of the 30 players that McD cut or didn't re-sign, only 9 have signed on with other teams and are not guaranteed to make final roster?

I think this team is much better by subtraction. I don't know if the 30 guys he brought in will be better -- tho you'd think that the LBs and Secondary will be better -- but it can't be much worse if they're replacing guys that can't get another job.

That doesn't mean anything this time of year. Rosters are loaded with rookies, UDFAs, and training camp fodder right now. Watch movement during training camps and preseason as injuries and dispappointments start to shake out to get a better fix on this situation - though I'll freely admit that the were players rostered last year who I didn't think belonged. But that's the case right now with McDumbiels' version also.

Edited by Bronco Billy

:wacko:

Their D will be the worst in the league. The only saving grace statistically is that they have 4 games vs offensively inept OAK & KC.

There is just nothing there on the D line. They're pimping SF's former 3rd string NT as a legit starting force. 3-4 Ds only work if the line can keep opposing O-linemen off the LBs, since the LBs need to play a little deeper to scrape across the entire field. DEN's LBs are going to be outnumbered at the point of attack, sometimes maybe 2 to 1 on well schemed plays.

The only way Denver is going to win games this year is to rack up some massive points. Shortening the game by running the ball only works if your D can get an occasional stop - and I would seriously expect opposing Os to be in the 5.0+ ypc when rushing the ball. If DEN is going to get into track meets with opponents, trading off one of the top young QBs in the game for a game manager like Orton (or worse, a scrub who ought to be in the CFL like Simms) and pissing off one of the arguably best WRs in the league isn't a very good way to go about it. People brag on DEN's O-line - and it's a good one - but Cutler's strength and ability had a lot to do with the lack of sacks.

This is going to be a bad year. It wouldn't shock me if they went 2-4 at best in the division and 2-8 at best the rest of the way. The only potential cupcakes out of division on their schedule are CIN & CLE, split away and home, in weeks 1 & 2. Then they play at OAK in week 3. So they catch the potential weaker teams while they are still trying to figure out McDumbiels system in real games. It wouldn't s`urprise me in the least to see a 2-14 or a 3-13 season, and if they get to 6-10 there should be great rejoicing among Bronco fans.

If they aren't 2-1after week 3 watch the free fall begin. How's this for a muderer's row:

Week 4 DAL

Week 5 NE

Week 6 @ SD

Week 7 bye

Week 8 @ BAL

Week 9 PIT

Week 10 @ WAS

Week 11 SD

Week 12 NYG

Week 14 @ IND

I'll take that bet sir, what are the steaks???

Damn, that is a brutal schedule.

As a Raider fan I'm obviously tickled at the judgment so far revealed by McDaniels, but fan to fan I do feel for Bronco fans that have watched a young playoff ready team transformed into a complete rebuilding project.

I'll never understand that kind of reversal in direction... I mean, I guess if they'd have hired Parcells or something, but... come on...

Edited by byron2112

Pat Bowlen put McDaniels there.

Pat Bowlen let his new coach ruffle the feathers of their young star QB.

Pat Bowlen allowed that QB to be traded.

At what point does Pat Bowlen, you know, the team's OWNER, step in and end the madness that is this team / coach?

Pat Bowlen allowed Shanny to never build a defense. Jerry Jones and Al Davis may be intrusive and ignorant in football matters, but Bowlen could stand to use a little of them in his own dealings with the team.

Denver homers, am I close or waaaay off base from my perch in NYC? In all the Denver/Cutler/McDumbiels/Marshall/no defense threads I read, I never, ever hear Bowlen's name mentioned (edit to add that he did try to text Cutler), never see it in an article...nothing. Is he content to live off the back-to-backs a decade ago or is he actually involved?

Edited by The Wolf

While I agree that strange things are afoot, one of the primary reasons that Bowlen let Shanny go was that he lost control of the players. McD has done questionable things, but now the players have fallen in line and that's one of Bowlen's goals.

I have found in my own business really good people don't want to fall in line.

Falling in line worked under Belichick because they had a winning tradition. Not a single BB clone has succeeded yet and I don't see McDaniels being the first.

:wacko:

Week 4 DAL

Week 5 NE

Week 6 @ SD

Week 7 bye

Week 8 @ BAL

Week 9 PIT

Week 10 @ WAS

Week 11 SD

Week 12 NYG

Week 14 @ IND

I honestly have no freaking clue to how the Broncos got such a rediculous schedule this year. 500 team last year and this is nearly an AFC champion schedule!!!!

3 teams have won the last three superbowls. 4 Went to the first round division playoffs last year.

This is a crazy schedule IMHO!

I honestly have no freaking clue to how the Broncos got such a rediculous schedule this year. 500 team last year and this is nearly an AFC champion schedule!!!!

3 teams have won the last three superbowls. 4 Went to the first round division playoffs last year.

This is a crazy schedule IMHO!

14 opponents predetermined by rotation of divisions in non-divisional teams (AFC North and NFC East this year). The other 2 teams are remaining 2 teams in the conference who finished in the same position in their divisions. (2nd at 8-8, and IND and NE are the other 2 second-place finishers last year)

I have found in my own business really good people don't want to fall in line.

Falling in line worked under Belichick because they had a winning tradition. Not a single BB clone has succeeded yet and I don't see McDaniels being the first.

Are you in an industry where creativity and out of the box thinking is the norm? If so, I can agree with what you are saying.

Edited by The Wolf

They needed to create the winning tradition first. Belichick didn't coddle the team until they began winning then abruptly changed the culture to where it is today. If that's the culture you want, you begin that way from day 1...be you the 0 - 16 Lions or the 16 - 0 Patriots.

Fro Rotoworld a little while ago:

(Rotoworld) Broncos owner Pat Bowlen said through a team spokesman that Denver is not interested in free agent Michael Vick. Analysis: Former Broncos LB Bill Romanowski said on a local radio show earlier this morning that he had spoken with Bowlen, who said Vick was in Denver talking about joining the team. Romanowski is a very strange dude and we're not saying he made the story up, but he's not exactly Peter King. Remember that he also through he could be the Broncos' head coach at one point.

:wacko: Romanowski is a very strange dude...

Fro Rotoworld a little while ago:

(Rotoworld) Broncos owner Pat Bowlen said through a team spokesman that Denver is not interested in free agent Michael Vick. Analysis: Former Broncos LB Bill Romanowski said on a local radio show earlier this morning that he had spoken with Bowlen, who said Vick was in Denver talking about joining the team. Romanowski is a very strange dude and we're not saying he made the story up, but he's not exactly Peter King. Remember that he also through he could be the Broncos' head coach at one point.

:D Romanowski is a very strange dude...

His book is a must-read. :wacko: