[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

State of the Packers

DMD

Green Bay Packers  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Aaron Rodgers - the real deal?

• Yes - he is an elite QB
    • Nah - one year wonder
    • He's at least a good QB, need another year to be called elite
  2. 2. Who will be the most surprising Packer?

• WR James Jones
    • WR Jordy Nelson
    • TE Jermichael Finley

I think you need a 3rd choice for Rodgers; I'd be VERY surprised if he was a 1 year wonder but I wouldn't call him "elite" quite yet either.

As for most surprising, I guess I had to pick Finley, since he was pretty much a non-factor last year. Both Jones and Nelson (Nelson slightly less so) have shown that they can be productive when healthy and given the opportunity. Finley, not so much.

I think you need a 3rd choice for Rodgers; I'd be VERY surprised if he was a 1 year wonder but I wouldn't call him "elite" quite yet either.

As for most surprising, I guess I had to pick Finley, since he was pretty much a non-factor last year. Both Jones and Nelson (Nelson slightly less so) have shown that they can be productive when healthy and given the opportunity. Finley, not so much.

Rodgers is a lot closer to elite than not, IMO. Stepping into the situation he did and performing the way he did says a lot about him. IMO, he'll do it again this season and that will cement him as elite.

I think Rodgers is elite, but I'm not so sure that he'll surpass the numbers he put up last year. That has more to do with my thinking that Ryan Grant will look closer to what he was in 07 than the dogfart of 08.

As far as the big surprise, give me JerMichael Finley. The guy is physically gifted, and after a rough rookie year, seems to have grown up quite a bit. I think that he puts up 400-500 receiving yards this year and a handful of touchdowns.

Rodgers is a lot closer to elite than not, IMO. Stepping into the situation he did and performing the way he did says a lot about him. IMO, he'll do it again this season and that will cement him as elite.

I think Rodgers is closer to elite than not as well, but he is NOT, at this point, "elite" - he's a top fantasy producer but he needs to get to some big games and win them.

Yeah but he needs to refine his game a little. He is close. With a better defense hopefully they'll hold leads this year.

He does need to win games at the end though and believe he'd admit that himself.

Don't forget the separated shoulder. He played well in great pain at times last year.

Edited by Randall

Yeah but he needs to refine his game a little. He is close. With a better defense hopefully they'll hold leads this year.

He does need to win games at the end though and believe he'd admit that himself.

Don't forget the separated shoulder. He played well in great pain at times last year.

The defense is not his problem. Peyton Manning had a horrible D for years and was considered elite. Don't forget also that he brought his team back in the 4th quarter several times last year, only to see the D blow it again. Because he couldn't bring them back a second time does not mean he should not be considered elite.

He needs to have another year like last year to be considered elite. He's close, but one year does not an elite QB make.

The defense is not his problem. Peyton Manning had a horrible D for years and was considered elite. Don't forget also that he brought his team back in the 4th quarter several times last year, only to see the D blow it again. Because he couldn't bring them back a second time does not mean he should not be considered elite.

He needs to have another year like last year to be considered elite. He's close, but one year does not an elite QB make.

Peyton's first year

1998 IND 16 3739 28 15

Rodgers'

2008 GB 16 4038 28 13

Rodgers is starting off OK. He'll be better I think this year.

Offensive line story.

Edited by Randall

Packers agree to terms with Matthews

By Tom Silverstein of the Journal Sentinel

July 30, 2009 11:54 a.m.

Green Bay – The Green Bay Packers have agreed to terms with first-round draft choice Clay Matthews on a new contract.

According to an NFL source with knowledge of the deal, the base portion of the five-year deal is worth $10 million and there will be an opportunity for him to earn $13.275 million overall.

Matthews is the second of the Packers’ two first-round draft choices. The linebacker from USC was the 26th pick overall and is expected to compete for a starting job as a rush linebacker.

The Packers now have seven of their eight draft picks in the fold. The only player who remains unsigned is Boston College nose tackle B.J. Raji, the ninth pick overall.

Rodgers is definitely good and could potentially be a near-elite QB in the next few years. Don't like the choices in the 2nd question at all. How about Ryan Grant? I think he's in for a big year. I chose Jermichael Finley out of those three; I think he has talent and Donald Lee - while solid - could start getting phased out this season.

Rodgers handled last season very well, IMO. He's better than I thought he'd be. Earlier, too.

As a Favre fan, even I have to admit that Rodgers handled last year as well as expected.

I am not willing to anoint him as the "elite" status yet, nor am I ready to anoint him as "Brett Who?"

ARodg will need to repeat last year, or at least close to, in order to be considered more. Right now, he's a good QB, but needs to become a leader. Another post referred to Brett's ability to bring more swagger to rookies and calmness to his team. That is another sign of "elite". ARodg needs to learn this. If he does, he'll be elite....if not, he'll just be good...but not great. He has the tools, so there is no excuse if he does not produce.

There were a few games the D blew last year and ARodg couldn't bring them back. Comebacks are synonomous with "Elite" Status.

Right now, ARodg is one of the top-two QB's in the NFC North. IMHO tied with Cutler...but with better WR's. Cutler has the better RB. D/ST = Tie.

We'll see how this year goes. If the Pack faulters again, let's see if everyone is happy with "Mediocrity". Either TT or McC will need to go.

Good Luck Pack, not much is standing in your way of an NFC North Title.

I hope the majority is right. I hope Jones can stay healthy this year. When he did last seaon he showed a lot. I do Finley too as a sleeper. He's very young so next year may be better.

I also like Quinn Johnson near the goalline.

Who will be the most surprising Packer?

WR James Jones [ 19 ] ** [46.34%]

WR Jordy Nelson [ 7 ] ** [17.07%]

TE Jermichael Finley [ 15 ] ** [36.59%]

• 3 weeks later...
If Brandon Jackson does anything better than being average for a backup it would be shocking.

I think you are being a little hard on Jackson, PoN. To me, and this is just my opinion and we know what those are worth, I thought Jackson looked good last season. Especially, compared to his rookie year. I thought he showed good burst and vision most of the time last season and was pretty productive in his limited touches. He averaged 5.5 yards per carry in 45 attempts. He also caught 30 balls. I feel pretty confident that if Grant does go down that Jackson can fill in well enough not to have a large dip in production.

Saying that, I think that Finley is the one who will surprise this season. I'm scared of Jones due to his second straight pre-season of injuries and missed practice time. He definitely has shown the ability, but he seems to have a thing for getting nicked up.

Edited by Vicster