[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

2009 Breakout Running Back

mchops

Every year there is a player or two who explodes onto the football scene and becomes one of the next great fantasy football running back studs. Last year was D'Angelo Williams and Slaton blew up too. Who is the guy/s who will blow up this season and why?

I'm going with Felix Jones because I see him improving greatly in his second season and we already know he has the explosiveness. Plus he's on a good offensive minded team with good weapons around him.

It is going to be awfully hard for somebody to make that kind of jump. Few runners in this league are as talented as DeAngelo, and I doubt there are any with his talent just sitting on the bench rotting away behind Deshaun Foster.

I just don't see it for Jones. Love the talent, but I just don't see the opportunity.

The first name that comes to mind is McFadden. If his toes stay healthy, he is going to have some really long runs and a handful of really big games. He may have a stinker or two, but he has rare big-play ability.

Leon Washington could also be a stud waiting to happen.

Rashard Mendenhall might take that step this year, but I think FWP will keep him on the bench long enough to where we are still a year away on him.

Other than that, I think the most likely scenario is that some kid gets a shot due to injury and excels, which is simply too difficult to predict.

How about Jerome Harrison? How much does Jamal Lewis have in the tank? Harrison was productive when given the carries / receptions. Even a little talk Mangini may involve him in the return game. Alot of upside in PPR leagues that reward kick return yardage. Thats a player I would take a flyer on late in every league Im in

How about Jerome Harrison? How much does Jamal Lewis have in the tank? Harrison was productive when given the carries / receptions. Even a little talk Mangini may involve him in the return game. Alot of upside in PPR leagues that reward kick return yardage. Thats a player I would take a flyer on late in every league Im in

James Davis

Edited by tazinib1

I'm not sold on LJ ability to stay healthy.

Jamal Charles could have a decent season if LJ goes down.

I thought about adding Charles. I just don't see the Chiefs being competetive enough to have a back that can make that kind of impact.

How in the heck did you not say Stewart?!?! I thought this would be the perfect thread for you!

Edited by Seahawks21

It is going to be awfully hard for somebody to make that kind of jump. Few runners in this league are as talented as DeAngelo, and I doubt there are any with his talent just sitting on the bench rotting away behind Deshaun Foster.

I just don't see it for Jones. Love the talent, but I just don't see the opportunity.

The first name that comes to mind is McFadden. If his toes stay healthy, he is going to have some really long runs and a handful of really big games. He may have a stinker or two, but he has rare big-play ability.

Leon Washington could also be a stud waiting to happen.

Rashard Mendenhall might take that step this year, but I think FWP will keep him on the bench long enough to where we are still a year away on him.

Other than that, I think the most likely scenario is that some kid gets a shot due to injury and excels, which is simply too difficult to predict.

Agree here.

I thought about adding Charles. I just don't see the Chiefs being competetive enough to have a back that can make that kind of impact.

How in the heck did you not say Stewart?!?! I thought this would be the perfect thread for you!

:wacko:

I thought about it

Bernard Scott - OROY. The guy has just a ton of talent, both running the ball and catching out of the backfield - legit 1st round RB type stuff. The word out on him was that it was attached to a 5 cent head, which is why he had so many issues in college and lasted so long in the draft. The latest on him is that he has had an epiphany and has matured by leaps and bounds. If that is true, he only has Cedric "The Turd" Benson ahead of him, and Scott will generate a damn site better than a well-below-the-Mendoza-line 3.4 ypc like Benson. If Palmer is back and throwing well and ChadOchoCincoJohnson has rededicated himself, that does nothing but open wider running lanes in CIN.

I love this kid as a dark horse to come out of nowhere and make a big splash. Classic low risk/high reward type pick late in a FF draft.

Bernard Scott - OROY. The guy has just a ton of talent, both running the ball and catching out of the backfield - legit 1st round RB type stuff. The word out on him was that it was attached to a 5 cent head, which is why he had so many issues in college and lasted so long in the draft. The latest on him is that he has had an epiphany and has matured by leaps and bounds. If that is true, he only has Cedric "The Turd" Benson ahead of him, and Scott will generate a damn site better than a well-below-the-Mendoza-line 3.4 ypc like Benson. If Palmer is back and throwing well and ChadOchoCincoJohnson has rededicated himself, that does nothing but open wider running lanes in CIN.

I love this kid as a dark horse to come out of nowhere and make a big splash. Classic low risk/high reward type pick late in a FF draft.

These are probably the best two replies, IMHO. I'm not as down on the turd as bronco and there's a lot of "ifs" in there but there's no questioning the low risk/high reward argument as it pertains to Scott. And he is talented. I think the onlyproblem with Charles under the low risk high reward theory is there is a good argument KC will be a passing team by late in the second quarter in a lot of games.

any bias on that Felix prediction?

Doubtful and probably all at the same time. He's proven to be a rare talent. He's from Arkansas so it's not like the GM is going to forget about him, either. And the GM is in good with the owner. Barber's running style lends itself to injury (spare me the replies you won't change my mind). I don't know if Jones will get the touches to think he will be top 10 but with his talent he could crack it in fantasy scoring anyways. If Barber gets hurt early you could almost gaurantee top 10 scoing even though Choice's workload would be increased more than Jones'. There is one word for Jones and it is amazing.

Edited by Clubfoothead

Good enough thoughts here, but the problem is Benson is going to have to be real, REAL bad for Scott to get a chance at 20+ carries every game. And the way that Benson looked last season - turd or not - I don't think he'll reach that ridiculously horrible level needed to find him riding pine. The Bungles will be fine with him toting the rock 20+ times for 75 yards, a score or fumble every other game.