[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Vick to return

WaterMan

none of this matter if there are no teams willing to sign him. i keep hearing that every team in question has come back with a resounding NO. they don't want to take the publicity risk and don't want to risk alienating a percentage of their fan base. has anyone heard of any substantial progress on this guy signing with a team? i can't see any team doing it ... not even my beloved, beriddled, crime-laced orange and black.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with the first thought, but couldn't disagree more with the rest. Goodell is a good business man, and the NFL has a superb model running right now. They are acutely aware of public perception and how vauable good will is to a business (something, I might add, that many businesses have pushed to the wayside in pursuit of the bottom line - much to many's chagrin). The NFL has an outstanding long term model in place and sticks to its guns - even to the hiring of a turk like Goodell as players seem to be crossing the line more often.

Goodell will not sacrifice the long term profitability for the short term instant-gratification gain. So while he cares about $$$, he does so in a responsible and rational way.

And fairness? Fairness is for beauty pagents, not for private businesses. :wacko: Fairness...

Yep. The NFL is a business and Vick fills the seats.

• 3 weeks later...
Hammer meets nail...spot on. Moreover, the only reason he is apologetic is due the fact he was caught. I would venture a guess that had the authorities never found out about their ring, it would still exist today with Vick as the ringleader.

In regard to whether he should get another chance....yes, I think Goddell should reinstate him....but I would be shocked if a team signed him. Vic happens to play the most popular sport in America, a sport that is in the spotlight 6 months a year. No team wants the negative publicity that would be associated with signing Vick.

Think of it this way....rather than a QB, if Vick had been a teacher, would he get his job back? How about an appointed government official (i.e Governor's right hand man)? How about a counselor? Or a spokesperson for a major product line? Of course not. Professions in the public spotlight, or ones that affect our youth, are held in much higher regard. While he should be allowed to seek employment, it is highly doubtful any ethical company will offer it to him.

bump :wacko: