[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

State of the Giants

DMD

State of the Giants  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Which Giants wide out offers the most fantasy value?

• Steve Smith the lesser
    • Domenik Hixon
    • Hakeem Nicks
    • Ramses Barden
    • Martio Manningham
    • David Tyree
  2. 2. Brandon Jacobs - full timer or more of the same sharing?

• There will be no other significant RB besides Jacobs
    • Will mostly share with Ahmad Bradshaw
    • Will mostly share with Ande Brown
    • Will mostly share with Danny Ware

State of the Giants

The Giants have cleared the shelves of wide receivers and are starting over (sort of) with Steve Smith and Domenik Hixon at least to start camp. Which wideout is the one to own or will it really matter? How can this make Eli Manning anything more than a very deep fantasy backup?

And now that Derrick Ward is gone, who takes the torch and becomes fantasy significant? Anyone?

Smith will see a significant role all season regardless of how they shuffle the x/z/slot roles, but keep in mind he's scored one career TD for the Giants and has not shown much more than being a solid possession receiver. IMO his ceiling for this year is 750/4.

Manningham will be given a serious look for the starting flanker position but Hixon most likely earns that, at least to start the season. Speaking of Hixon, he would need to take a huge leap forward with his routes and catching ability to keep a starting job on this team. They want Nicks to eventually take over, with Hixon on special teams where he excels.

I think Nicks could have a great career ahead of him and I would not be surprised if he put up solid #2 WR numbers this year. He comes from an NFL-style offense, has great hands and comes to a team with a huge void at WR. The opportunity is there.

Barden might see a few snaps this season but is considered pretty raw. Tyree and Moss may be battling for the last roster spot unless the Giants decide to keep 7 WRs. I don't see either having any fantasy impact.

Bradshaw figures to be the #2 RB, but Danny Ware is someone to watch. He turned a lot of heads in OTAs and some are predicting he will beat out Bradshaw and could put up numbers to rival Ward's from last season. The way Jacobs gets dinged up, he is at least a name to remember during the season.

Look for three rather than two heads on the RBBC in Giants land. Bradshaw steps up but they really like what Danny Ware brings to the table.

I think either Nicks or Manningham or maybe both are the WRs of the Future but I see Hixon as being the guy this year. Like Matt770 said above, Smith the Lesser is a posession receiver and just doesn't have a nose for the goal line. He's best working out of the slot.

Edited by Kid Cid

Look for three rather than two heads on the RBBC in Giants land. Bradshaw steps up but they really like what Danny Ware brings to the table.

I think either Nicks or Manningham or maybe both are the WRs of the Future but I see Hixon as being the guy this year. Like Matt770 said above, Smith the Lesser is a posession receiver and just doesn't have a nose for the goal line. He's best working out of the slot.

It's great to have depth at RB but I would much rather see one of the two guys step up and be the primary change of pace for Jacobs. I question how they would be able to get three guys into the mix on a consistent basis. Granted Ware and Bradshaw are talented but there are just so many carries to go around, and getting into the rhythm of the game is a factor.

It's great to have depth at RB but I would much rather see one of the two guys step up and be the primary change of pace for Jacobs. I question how they would be able to get three guys into the mix on a consistent basis. Granted Ware and Bradshaw are talented but there are just so many carries to go around, and getting into the rhythm of the game is a factor.

I agree, but much like thye did with Ward and Bradshaw, I suspect you'll see a heavy dose of Jacobs in the first half being spelled by most likely Bradshaw this time. The second half will see Bradshaw and the fresh legs of Ware. If you have guys that can get their heads in the game quickly then it could very well be an effective plan.

FWIW, The Giants signed Nicks yesterday and got him into camp today. Not surprising though as the GMen don't have a history of holdouts. :wacko:

Jury is out on both SS and Hixon, who have both shown flashes but neither has had real full time starting experience. Hixon is more a home run threat, and Smith could be ready for that breakout year, but both could easilly flop as well... jury is out. Preseason the the G Men will be more telling than preseason games usually are. I see a bump for TE's in this offense, simply because of the untested stauts of the WR's.

Jacobs will likely repeat last year's numbers, which weren't too bad. Ward was a nice bye week or emergency starte last year, but I think his load gets split more between Bradshaw and Ward this year.

Jury is out on both SS and Hixon, who have both shown flashes but neither has had real full time starting experience. Hixon is more a home run threat, and Smith could be ready for that breakout year, but both could easilly flop as well... jury is out. Preseason the the G Men will be more telling than preseason games usually are. I see a bump for TE's in this offense, simply because of the untested stauts of the WR's.

Jacobs will likely repeat last year's numbers, which weren't too bad. Ward was a nice bye week or emergency starte last year, but I think his load gets split more between Bradshaw and Ward this year.

I wouldn't expect anything to much better than last year, the coaching staff loves Manningham and Moss this year to go along with Smith, Hixon and the rooks. to many options on this team for any of them to be dependable fantasy starters imo. I still think Nicks will be the teams leading receiver this year.

As far as Jacobs partner in crime, i'd wait and see if the big guy will be missing any time. AB, Ware and Brown could all fill in nicely and I don't think Bradshaw would be the starter necessarily if Jacobs gets injured.