[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

State of the Eagles

DMD

State of the Eagles  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Brian Westbrook - 2009 expectations

• He's not hurt, he'll be just as good as ever
    • Maybe a bit less productive but still very solid
    • Big risk that will have good and bad games and miss even more
    • I just won't touch him this year
  2. 2. LeSean McCoy - Westbrook Jr.?

• He's like a younger version of Westbrook when he came into the league
    • Not Westy quality but will have definite fantasy value
    • Just yet another try by PHI to get a #2 back that will fail
  3. 3. What Eagles wideout are you most likely to draft?

• Kevin Curtis
    • DeSean Jackson
    • Jeremy Maclin
    • Jason Avant

State of the Eagles

How will the loss of Jim Johnson affect the team? Will it inspire them or pull them down? This could be a major impact to the Eagles.

WIll Westbrook last another year now that he turns 30 and has been rehabbing all during the preseason into training camp. Can he actually last?

WIll the rookie Maclin give McNabb someone besides DeSean Jackson to worry defenses?

That Westbrook has a knack for coming back and blowing up defenses just when you least expect it.

Exactly. Westbrook could be an absolute steal if people let him fall to the end of the 1st round in a PPR league.

Edited by TDFFFreak

Westbrook is the ultimate risk/reward guy. He never plays a full season, but when he suits up, he could put up 40+ fpts. Hard to pass on a guy who can account for 1/3 or more of your points in a given week.

McCoy is an exciting addition and I think will have some value especially when Westbrook can't go. I don't like handcuffs but he is one I would upgrade to the middle rounds if I drafted Westbrook.

If Maclin can have the kind of impact that Jackson had last year, well that's just one scary offense right there. With a healthy McNabb, I don't see how anyone can stop them.

Westy is 30, and you can count the number of RBs who have had great seasons at 30+ on one hand... even if you were missing a few fingers.

Can't see McCoy as anything but the next RB replacement failure until one of these drafted RBs actually get a fulltime chance to prove themselves.

I don't see any of the WRs having a "breakout" year. DeSean is still a year away from his third season (which most do), and Maclin will be learning the position at the NFL level, on an Andy Reid team. Plus if McNabb is to be successful he will be spreading the ball around, so none of the WRs will get top anything type numbers.

Von

(an Eagles fan)

Westy is 30, and you can count the number of RBs who have had great seasons at 30+ on one hand... even if you were missing a few fingers.

Can't see McCoy as anything but the next RB replacement failure until one of these drafted RBs actually get a fulltime chance to prove themselves.

I don't see any of the WRs having a "breakout" year. DeSean is still a year away from his third season (which most do), and Maclin will be learning the position at the NFL level, on an Andy Reid team. Plus if McNabb is to be successful he will be spreading the ball around, so none of the WRs will get top anything type numbers.

Von

(an Eagles fan)

Spoken like a true Eagles fan! No faith. I can't find anything about McCoy to suggest he will be a bust other than the Eagles' bad luck at the position recently. But they haven't used that high of a pick on a running back in a long time either. Watching highlights, he's fast as hell, shifty, runs inside the tackles, and can catch. In this offense, with the attention they put on the o-line and speedy receivers on the outside, I think he's in a position to excel.

A guy that has not been mentioned, Cornelius Ingram has been looking good in camp. He was considered a top TE prospect who dropped in the draft only because of questions about his knee. I'm reading reports that he's flying all over the field, catching everything thrown his way. Sounds like the knee is fine.

Yes, the Eagles have choked at the worst times and injuries have killed them more than once, but put that aside and look at pure talent, I honestly think they are one of the elite teams this season.

But... you have DeSean Jackson, a healthy Kevin Curtis and now Jeremy Maclin. That's a lot of other options.

Jackson led the team with 62 catches as a rookie. Westy had 90 catches in 2007 but that was with McNabb relying on Reggie Brown and Kevin Curtis as his only other outlets. Even LJ Smith was injured that year.

You have an aging Westbrook who is breaking down for more than his standard one game per year, eclipsing the 30-year mark and the team having more and better receiving options. Have to see at least a bit more risk in the situation than ever before.

But... you have DeSean Jackson, a healthy Kevin Curtis and now Jeremy Maclin. That's a lot of other options.

Jackson led the team with 62 catches as a rookie. Westy had 90 catches in 2007 but that was with McNabb relying on Reggie Brown and Kevin Curtis as his only other outlets. Even LJ Smith was injured that year.

You have an aging Westbrook who is breaking down for more than his standard one game per year, eclipsing the 30-year mark and the team having more and better receiving options. Have to see at least a bit more risk in the situation than ever before.

I think the injury/age is more of the concern than the other players around him. If you have the stomach to take on the risk with a mid to late first round pick (in a PPR league), you could be laughing all the way to your fantasy championship; however, the injury status is such a concern that I think most first round picks will stay away from him.

Think about it... if he is healthy (the bigest "if" out there IMO), he is the Eagles undisputed #1 RB and stands to get about 80% of the RB touches in that offense. How many other RBs can you say that about in NFL right now? Of course, this depends on him being ready to go headed into week one of the regular season. He is the definition of high risk/high reward.

Edited by TDFFFreak