[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jerk chicken

Cameltosis

I am in love with Jerk chicken and need to come up with something I can do on my own. I did a search on this and mostly came up with sides and store bought marinades. Does anyone have a rub they use and like? I really enjoy mixing my own spices if you are in to that sort of thing. How about a marinade? The cooking method I was planning on using is either an indirect charcoal and wood cook on the Weber, or maybe thowing the bird in the smoker.

Tanks mon.

Ask and ye shall receive. The jalapenos add a bite, the scotch bonnet will light you up. Depends on what you like personally. You can also substitute serrano peppers for the jalapenos or habaneros for the scotch bonnet. For the purposes of this recipe they are roughly equal in the heat department.

4 boneless chicken breast halves with skin

Paste

2 scotch bonnet or jalapeno peppers de-stemmed and seeded, roughly chopped

4 scallions roughly chopped

1/4 cup vegetable oil

1 Tbs red wine vinegar

1 Tbs finely chopped fresh thyme

1 Tbs soy sauce

1 Tbs light brown sugar

1 tsp kosher salt

1/2 tsp black pepper

1/2 tsp allspice

1/4 tsp ground nutmeg

1/4 tsp ground cinnamon

1/8 tsp ground cloves

Combine all the Paste ingredients in a food processor or blender and process until smooth. (KC: I personally like using a hand blender but you should use whatever you have and are comfortable with.)

With a sharp knife (KC: You should always keep your knives sharp, but that is a topic worthy of a post all by itself. Just do it) make parallel cuts on both sides of the chicken breast about 1 inch apart and 1/4 inch deep. Turn the breast 90 degrees and make the cuts again to make a cross hatch pattern.

Using a spoon, especially if you used scotch bonnets or habaneros, spread the paste alll over the chicken, pushing it inside the cuts. Cover and refrigerate for three hours.

Grill the chicken skin side down first over direct medium heat for 8 to 12 minutes, turning once.

Thanks Kid! I am assuming you could substitute boneless for whatever you want as long as you have enough paste. I am thinking about doing a whole chicken or beer can, but I will give this a shot.

Do you prefer the jalepenos or the scotch bonnets? I am looking for some pretty good heat but the wife wont like it if its too hot. So I guess I need something in the middle. Maybe one of each?

Edited by Cameltosis

FWIW, I'd start with this first and then scale it up to do a whole chicken. You can substitue but there are differences between light and dark meat . Sounds like a good chance to experiment.

As far as the peppers are concerned, the first time I'd make it with the jalapenos. They bring a lot to the table, especially if someone doesn't like things too hot. It you want to kick it up a notch, don't remove the seeds. The ribs and seeds of a pepper is where most of the capsicum (the hot stuff) is concentrated.

Let me put it to you this way. Scotch bonnets will be stupid hot. I mean like chemical burn hot. If you are used to things that hot then you should be ok, but most normal people won't be able to taste the rest of the jerk seasoning through the pepper heat. I list them because I know some folks love to hurt themselves with their food and are used to it.

Thanks Kid! I am assuming you could substitute boneless for whatever you want as long as you have enough paste. I am thinking about doing a whole chicken or beer can, but I will give this a shot.

Do you prefer the jalepenos or the scotch bonnets? I am looking for some pretty good heat but the wife wont like it if its too hot. So I guess I need something in the middle. Maybe one of each?

for the love of god and all things holy, do not de-seed habaneros or scotch bonnets with your fingers.

pretty similar to what i've done in the past. i am not a high heat guy with peppers, but prefer the flavor of scotch bonnets to jalapenos. i also go heavier on clove. for a little variation, i've used OJ instead of red wine vin for the acid (plus i like the citrus/sweet it gives)

Edited by Bier Meister

pretty similar to what i've done in the past. i am not a high heat guy with peppers, but prefer the flavor of scotch bonnets to jalapenos. i also go heavier on clove. for a little variation, i've used OJ instead of red wine vin for the acid (plus i like the citrus/sweet it gives)

+ 1,000

I LOVE the combo of the sweet with OJ to offset the scotch bonnet heat, and it gives juuust the right acid balance.

Note to self . . . but on some Bob Marley tomorrow and start cookin early . . .

Cool, I'll have to give the OJ a try.