[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sporting News 50 greatest coaches

Randall

SN's greatest coaches

1. John Wooden, college basketball

2. Vince Lombardi, NFL

3. Bear Bryant, college football

4. Phil Jackson, NBA

5. Don Shula, NFL

6. Red Auerbach, NBA

7. Scotty Bowman, NHL

8. Dean Smith, college basketball

9. Casey Stengel, MLB

10. Knute Rockne, college football

11. Pat Summitt, women's college basketball

12. Paul Brown, NFL

13. Joe Paterno, college football

14. George Halas, NFL

15. Chuck Noll, NFL

16. Bob Knight, college basketball

17. Joe Gibbs, NFL

18. Tom Landry, NFL

19. Mike Krzyzewski, college basketball

20. Bill Belichick, NFL

21. Adolph Rupp, college basketball

22. Joe McCarthy, MLB

23. Eddie Robinson, college football

24. Bobby Bowden, college football

25. John McGraw, MLB

26. Bill Walsh, NFL

27. Woody Hayes, college football

28. Connie Mack, MLB

29. Bud Wilkinson, college football

30. Pat Riley, NBA

31. Pete Newell, college basketball

32. Joe Torre, MLB

33. Bill Parcells, NFL

34. Tom Osborne, college football

35. Walter Alston, MLB

36. Bo Schembechler, college football

37. Toe Blake, NHL

38. Sparky Anderson, MLB

39. Al Arbour, NHL

40. Amos Alonzo Stagg, college football

41. Tony La Russa, MLB

No. 41 Tony La Russa

No. 41 Tony La Russa

42. Geno Auriemma, women's college basketball

43. Dick Irvin, NHL

44. Ara Parseghian, college football

45. Chuck Daly, NBA

46. Bobby Cox, MLB

47. Hank Iba, college basketball

48. Tommy Lasorda, MLB

49. Gregg Popovich, NBA

50. Herb Brooks, NHL

Shula seems a little high, seeing as he only won 2 rings and suffered perhaps the biggest upset in the history of professional football?

Not sure he belongs ahead of Brown, Halas & Knoll. I'd even argue he doesn't belong ahead of Bill Walsh, who changed the game forever with the revolution that was the WCO. Gibbs, Landry, Belichick? He's in their company.

And kudos to Pat Summit for making the list...she has a tremendous record and unreal amount of wins. But lets face it, for many years, tennessee was the ONLY place to go if you were a top -5 recruit (yes, mainly due to Summitt). But really, without knowing her other than her recrd...is she really the 11th best coach to ever coach a sport, or are the authors being politically correct here?

No love for John Gagliardi? :wacko:

+1, but I'm biased

No offense to Gagliardi (I went to Bethel and watched some of their best teams get taken apart on a yearly basis by the Johnnies), but if he's included, this guy should be as well. The question then becomes... where do you draw the line? There are some great high school coaches out there who chose to never move on to anything bigger. Hard to know how to compare coaches at different levels... pro and major college is bad enough. I think a better title for this list of 50 would be "Greatest 50 Professional or College D-1 Coaches." Might be better to split the two into separate lists, to be honest.

Like I said, though, my intention isn't to take anything away from John Gagliardi... He's obviously one of the greatest FB coaches of all-time, at any level. I don't want to get into a debate as to how much better JG is than Don Meyer, either. My point is simply that it's hard to compare coaches in different sports, much less different levels. Small college vs. professional is apples to oranges, in my opinion, and they should be on different lists completely.

Phil Jackson is High IMO. I know he certainly has the hardware to warrent the spot but he always had the benefit of having some of the greatest players in the game including arguably the greatest of all time.

Jordan/Pippen

Prime Shaq/Kobe

Ill give him his due . he belongs on the list . Just not at 4

24. Bobby Bowden, college football

34. Tom Osborne, college football

Glad to see TO made the list, but I guess I don't understand Bowden being that much higher. Granted he has been doing it longer but (and I'm biased) I'd take Osborne over Bowden any day.

Jimmy Johnson should be on the list - won titles in CFB AND the NFL. I don't think anyone else has done that. Heck, Bo Schembechler never won a national title at UM.

And I think Noll is placed too high. 4 rings is impressive; but he was not an innovator and merely "good" when the ridiculous level of talent ran out on him in the 80s.

stupid idea and article - you cannot compare coaching across multiple sports it just doesn't work

that being said, I think Pat Summit is way too low and should be top 5 - that dude can coach

Maybe you mean "dudette?" :wacko:

I know Don Coryell didn't win any Super Bowls, but because of his innovations in the passing game I think he deserves to be on that list somewhere.

Jimmy Johnson should be on the list - won titles in CFB AND the NFL. I don't think anyone else has done that. Heck, Bo Schembechler never won a national title at UM.

And I think Noll is placed too high. 4 rings is impressive; but he was not an innovator and merely "good" when the ridiculous level of talent ran out on him in the 80s.

Barry Switzer, but that SB was won with JJ talent. :wacko: And agree with Noll. One of the best? Absolutely. But he had the best talent in the league during the 70's when players didn't have free agency.

I know Don Coryell didn't win any Super Bowls, but because of his innovations in the passing game I think he deserves to be on that list somewhere.

Agreed. His offense really was the model for consistent combination of passing and running and showed how they could compliment each other.

Agreed. His offense really was the model for consistent combination of passing and running and showed how they could compliment each other.

Coryell learned everything he knew from Gillman.