[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

At least one guy thinks the Rams should sign Vick

STL Fan

His name is Kevin Horrigan and Bernie Miklasz quotes him in this column as saying there are several good reasons the Rams should sign Vick.

None of them make any sense at all, since they all assume Vick is a good QB, or at least that he used to be.

Rubbish. Not gonna happen. Nothin' to see here, folks.

Link to Bernie's column where he quotes this knuckelhead

I think they sould sign him. Not to compete for the QB job initially but to use him in a wildcat package for his first year. No offense to Rams fans but they need all the help they can get. Vick could be lined up in the back field, slot, qb, & x or z reciever spots and doesn't even have to be productive just a threat cuz honestly they are lacking at all positions except running back so they can expect 8 in the box at all times. With the threat of Vick's running abilities it will roll coverages and put some defenses on thier heels when he's in which is exactly what they will need. And if Bulger doesn't get the job done this year you've got at least a servicable guy while you draft a QB (Tebow?) and let him sit for a year or so. Just the thoughts of an arm chair GM:)

I think they sould sign him. Not to compete for the QB job initially but to use him in a wildcat package for his first year. No offense to Rams fans but they need all the help they can get. Vick could be lined up in the back field, slot, qb, & x or z reciever spots and doesn't even have to be productive just a threat cuz honestly they are lacking at all positions except running back so they can expect 8 in the box at all times. With the threat of Vick's running abilities it will roll coverages and put some defenses on thier heels when he's in which is exactly what they will need. And if Bulger doesn't get the job done this year you've got at least a servicable guy while you draft a QB (Tebow?) and let him sit for a year or so. Just the thoughts of an arm chair GM:)

Totally agree. Nice assessment. Why on earth would a team in such dire need for playmakers NOT pursue Vick?

The main problem is that Spags has made a HUGE deal about his "four pillars" in builidng the team and character counts. You can already see it in the personnel moves he's made, and to even consider Vick would be to throw that all in the garbage.

And I'm going to take your logic a step further and say that SINCE the Rams have so far to go, signing Vick doesn't make sense, since he can't get us there. If we were close to a championship and needed a role player, maaaaybe, but he isn't going to make this team a winner so why risk the bad pub and destroy the whole "building a team of character" thing?

There is speculation about Vick going to most of the teams in the league. I think somebody will take a chance on him for some kind of gadget or utility type roll. I wouldn't throw a bunch of money at him, but why not sign him for the right price in the right situation?

Edited by Retrograde assault

The main problem is that Spags has made a HUGE deal about his "four pillars" in builidng the team and character counts. You can already see it in the personnel moves he's made, and to even consider Vick would be to throw that all in the garbage.

And I'm going to take your logic a step further and say that SINCE the Rams have so far to go, signing Vick doesn't make sense, since he can't get us there. If we were close to a championship and needed a role player, maaaaybe, but he isn't going to make this team a winner so why risk the bad pub and destroy the whole "building a team of character" thing?

I heard the Bengals are looking for some character guys. :wacko:

I think that no team will sign him based on morals is this -----> :wacko:

I don't think anyone in this thread said "no one will sign him based on his morals." Obviously there are lots of teams that don't give a flying fig about a player's morals. I just hope the Rams are being honest about not being one of them.

Devil's Advocate here...so if character counts, what kind of character would Spags show for not giving someone a second chance? Saying that you are surrounding yourself with high character people is one thing, but practicing it is another. Not ripping Spags and not defending what Vick did, I'm just saying that he should have his second chance.

Devil's Advocate here...so if character counts, what kind of character would Spags show for not giving someone a second chance? Saying that you are surrounding yourself with high character people is one thing, but practicing it is another. Not ripping Spags and not defending what Vick did, I'm just saying that he should have his second chance.

Putting aside the character issue, who thinks Vick could lead a team to a Super Bowl?

Putting aside the character issue, who thinks Vick could lead a team to a Super Bowl?

Next question, if I'm a GM or coach and I do have some basis for believing that Vick has the skills, intelligence and leadership ability to QB my team to a championship, and I go around telling people I'm building my team with "character" as one of the four pillars, can I make a case that this kind of behavior can be rehabilitated?

After a March 2003 loss by a female pit bull, codefendant Purnell Peace, "after consulting with Vick," electrocuted the animal. In April, prosecutors allege, Vick, Peace, and Quanis Phillips, "executed approximately 8 dogs that did not perform well in 'testing' sessions." These animals, the indictment claims, were killed "by various methods, including hanging, drowning, and slamming at least one dog's body to the ground."

Lastly, do I want the above text to be associated with my billion-dollar enterprise, and the ex-con I am paying to lead my offense and be the face of my team?

My team must already be in sad shape if I'm considering Vick, now I bring him in and he fails, obviously I'm out of a job.

What coach would want to be associated with that scenario? That could be a career killer.

I do not...not at all. Tom Brady couldn't lead this Rams team to the SB. Most NFL teams don't have a SB-worthy signal caller either.

I'm just playing Devil's Advocate. This is the same organization, after all, that welcomed Leonard Little back into the family. He killed a person. He got a second chance. I'm just asking, why not Vick?

Personally, I HATE what Vick and his thugs did. But where do we draw the line with not giving someone a second chance?

Bottom line, if he was good enough, he'd be signed so it doesn't come to morals. Let's face it, if tom brady or adrian peterson was accused of something similar, they'd be given another shot. But with Vick comes a huge media circus that would be a big distraction. He's shown he can be a below average qb and this was before he spent two years in jail. I think it comes down to simple cost-benefit analysis. Is having a 'wildcat' guy or maybe a wr/special teams guy who can also play qb worth the cost to the team. It's a gamble, no question.

I do not...not at all. Tom Brady couldn't lead this Rams team to the SB. Most NFL teams don't have a SB-worthy signal caller either.

I'm just playing Devil's Advocate. This is the same organization, after all, that welcomed Leonard Little back into the family. He killed a person. He got a second chance. I'm just asking, why not Vick?

Personally, I HATE what Vick and his thugs did. But where do we draw the line with not giving someone a second chance?

Excellent point. Leonard Little's incedent was years ago, and under a different administration. No excusing what he did, he pled guilty to involuntary manslaughter, but he didn't run from it, he was truly remorseful and owned it. Tragically, Mrs. Gutweiler died and no amount of remorse brings her back. But in that situation Little was on the roster and the Rams believed in his remorse and supported him.

Vick's case shows a years-long pattern of cruelty bordering on psychopathic, and he denied what he did over and over and tried to weasel his way out of it. He only fessed up when his buddies turned on him and agreed to testify against him and then his "remorse" wasn't very believable.

He is also NOT on the Rams roster.

Is there a difference between how a team acts when the player is on the roster compared to how they act when considering bringing in a guy with all that baggage? I think probably so. That said, the Falcons (whose roster he WAS on) decided he was not worth the liability.

Is there a difference between how a team acts when the player is on the roster compared to how they act when considering bringing in a guy with all that baggage? I think probably so. That said, the Falcons (whose roster he WAS on) decided he was not worth the liability.

I think so too. The Rams knew Little. He was already a member of their team. They don't know Michael Vick from Adam, so the thinking that this relative stranger could simply cause more of a backlash than he is really worth to the team.