[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Damned Wasps

piratesownninjas

Earlier today I was doing some clean up work in the back yard when out of nowhere, my goofy white ass gets attacked by a swarm of wasps. I was stung in the neck and arm, which didn't make my goofy white ass happy. I then killed these rat bastages. My concern is that I have a preggo wife and a 7 month old boxer pup and these wasps could hurt them. Like I've said, I've searched and destroyed every nest I could find, but I was wondering if anyone knows how to prevent them from nesting around my house in the first place? I figured if anyone would know, it would be on here.

Thanks in advance.

• Like 2

If these are paper wasps they are not really aggressive unless you are messing with their nests or make them feel threatened...had one in the store one day and I slowly put my finger near the blind it was on and it stepped onto my finger and I then slowly walked to the door to let it go outside...but to be safe I did wrap my finger in medical tape but it never tried to sting me.... Hornets and Yellow Jackets well that is another story

edit: did you happen to find the nest or do you know what the "wasp" looked like?

Mud Dauber(least aggressive wasp)

Paper Wasp Paper Wasp

and here are a couple of pics of paper wasps that I have taken(and I am within 12" or so with my camera when taking them) Pic 1(look in the top of the nest )

Pic 2 (guy on the left says hello :wacko: )

Pic 3: different species of paper wasp

Edited by keggerz

I think it's pretty much impossible to keep them from making a nest from time to time. They just love to set up under protected areas which our houses conveniently have plenty of. I even had those buggers camp underneath the road-side mailbox once.

I think it's pretty much impossible to keep them from making a nest from time to time. They just love to set up under protected areas which our houses conveniently have plenty of. I even had those buggers camp underneath the road-side mailbox once.

I have had guys remove paper wasp nests from a play ground and give it a couple of days and they are rebuilding the nest in the same exact spot.

I even had those buggers camp underneath the road-side mailbox once.

I know this all too well. Sometimes makes me wonder how the people get their mail without getting stung. Although Keggerz said paper wasps are not aggressive, I beg to differ. Next to fire ants, I'd love to rid the earth of them. They love to build nests near entrances/exits of buildings under eaves. You just walk near them and the little f'kers attack. I knew I was alergic to fire ants and bees, but never thought I was alergic to wasps until one of those SOBs stung me. My hand swelled up like a freekin' balloon. I keep a can of wasp spray at work and it comes in very handy.

If these are paper wasps they are not really aggressive unless you are messing with their nests or make them feel threatened...

I know this all too well. Sometimes makes me wonder how the people get their mail without getting stung. Although Keggerz said paper wasps are not aggressive, I beg to differ. Next to fire ants, I'd love to rid the earth of them. They love to build nests near entrances/exits of buildings under eaves. You just walk near them and the little f'kers attack. I knew I was alergic to fire ants and bees, but never thought I was alergic to wasps until one of those SOBs stung me. My hand swelled up like a freekin' balloon. I keep a can of wasp spray at work and it comes in very handy.

:wacko: see the bolded part

I was about 5-6 feet away from the nest, and wouldn't of known they were even there if the little bastards wouldn't have made target practice out of my neck.

are you sure they were paper wasps because that isnt their normal MO..anyway still sorry to hear about you getting stung up