[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sheik and Unta!

Swampnuts

Sheik and Unta- I'm about 20 minutes away from taking the Chili A La Sheik out of the oven and about 5 minutes away from my first Immort Ale. I'll report back later......

Sheik- I did the chili in a dutch oven and serving with white rice and cornbread. Thanks again!

Sheik and Unta- I'm about 20 minutes away from taking the Chili A La Sheik out of the oven and about 5 minutes away from my first Immort Ale. I'll report back later......

Sheik- I did the chili in a dutch oven and serving with white rice and cornbread. Thanks again!

Life is good.

Wow! The Immort ale was definately one of the most complex beers I've ever tasted. There was so many flavors you felt like you could chew the beer up. I give it a strong B Plus and only downgrade it to that because I don't think I could drink more than 2 at a sitting, due to the heavy nature and strong flavors.

Chili was good, but I think I jacked up the seasoning a bit. I think I would omit the ground beef in the next batch and go with the stew meat alone. Sister thought it was too hot, but I thought the heat was good. Went great with the rice and cornbread.

Thanks to you guys for the recommendations!

FWIW, I tried an Immort Ale recently to see what all the fuss was about. The Immort Ale is done in an old German style called Rauchbier or Smoked Beer. I personally find them too heavy but I can understand the appeal. You can read about them here.

• 2 weeks later...
Chili was good, but I think I jacked up the seasoning a bit. I think I would omit the ground beef in the next batch and go with the stew meat alone. Sister thought it was too hot, but I thought the heat was good. Went great with the rice and cornbread.

Thanks to you guys for the recommendations!

Was out of town and just saw this.

I see what you're saying about just one kind of meat or the other, but I friggin love meat and meaty chili, so I like to do both the ground and the stew chunks. Maybe half the amount of ground instead of deleting all together?

The heat factor is a tough one. One too many chipotles and you're on fire. . .too few and the chili is missing that smokey heat that makes it awesome. I find it best to serve the final product with sour cream. A dollop goes a long way to mellow out the heat if it's too hot for you.

:wacko:

What is this chili recipe Sheik? Please do tell!!!!!!!

Chili a la Sheik

1 lb ground beef

1/2 lb stew meat, cubed

1 large onion, chopped

1 large green pepper, chopped

1 28 ounce can of crushed tomatoes

1 beer of your choice (I used Brooklyn Lager this time)

1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, chopped fine (you'll find this in the Goya aisle at the store)

2 jalapenos, seeded and minced fine

2 cloves of garlic, minced fine

Vegetable oil

Spices:

Chili Powder (approx 10-15 tablespoons)

Garlic Powder (approx 3-5 tablespoons)

Onion Powder (approx 3-5 tablespoons)

Smoked Paprika (approx 2 tablespoons)

Cinnamon (approx 1 tablespoon)

Salt and Pepper

In a large, heavy bottom dutch oven or oven proof stock pot heat a few tablespoons of vegetable oil until very hot. Sear the stew meat until brown on all sides, then remove to a bowl and set aside. Brown the ground beef, drain and put in the bowl with the stew meat. Add a litte more veg oil to the pot, heat again and throw in the onion, pepper and jalapenos. Add some salt and pepper and cook until the veggies are slightly soft, about 5 minutes. Add the chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, cinnamon and paprika and stir until the spices are fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about a minute. Add the can of tomatoes and about a quarter of the beer, along with all the meat. Stir to combine. Add the chipotle and about a half a tablespoon of the adobo sauce. Taste and add more chipotle and adobo if you want it spicier. Cover and cook in a 300 degree oven for 40 minutes. Serve over rice, spaghetti, hot dogs, breakfast cereal. . .whatever!

All the spices are approximate. Add more or less to your liking. Be careful with the chipotle and adobo. If you add just the right amount it gives the chili a heat and depth that's amazing. Too much and you'll burn your tongue off. Add it little by little and taste as you go.

Edited by SheikYerbuti

• 1 month later...