[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Eagles | Maclin looks good at camp Thursday

3xcrazy

Thu, 06 Aug 2009 11:40:04 -0700

Adam Caplan, of Scout.com, reports Philadelphia Eagles rookie WR Jeremy Maclin looked impressive during training camp Thursday, Aug. 6. He showed good acceleration. Maclin did most of his work on the outside, not in the slot.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

caplan and a few others have had some very good things to say about mccoy too.....which is already confirming to me a guy that i liked before camps started....just in a great situation....even if westbrook stays healthy....this guy will contribute...and with that massive line....it could be scary

i think id be willing to grab mccoy around the 7th or 8th(i landed chris johnson in the 8th last year in a league where its a mandatory start 3 rb each week)

quiet about Maclin! I've got him as one of my sleepers, even in redraft leagues. He should fit perfectly into that offense right away. How is Jackson not working from the slot? He was absolutely a terror from there last year.

I thought for sure we'd see Jackson in the slot - that allows him to return kicks too, without impacting the O as much.

Of the games I saw last year he was on the outside quite a bit and McNabb was looking his way early and often. He was also deadly as a punt returner, and the conventional wisdom says he can't play both roles well on an ongoing basis without one suffering. I think they would be happy if Maclin won the punt return job and Jackson played mostly in the X/Z with Avant and/or Maclin in the slot. I think they will also try to work Maclin on the outside some, assuming he picks up the scheme and progresses like they expect. That probably affects Curtis the most.

Bottom line is I would be very surprised if they limited Jackson's role in the offense; I think he's going to have a big year.

I just read this article from gcobb.com

Thanks to Reuben Frank for getting this up on his Phillyburbs.com blog. DeSean Jackson admitted today that he didn't understand the Maclin selection in April.

“Not taking anything away from Jeremy, but when they made that pick, I really didn’t understand that,” Jackson said after this morning’s practice. “But it is what it is. I’m putting in the work to be that No. 1 receiver.”

After what I saw at Lehigh this past weekend, he's doing it. He's running around through just about everyone on the field. He was pretty darn good last year for a rookie, hauling in 62 balls.

“I’m honestly trying to double that,” Jackson said. “Last year was a good year for me to get my feet wet and get a feel for what the NFL is all about. I went through some ups and downs, some good times and bad times. This year? I can be tons, tons, tons better. … I want to be one of the best wide receivers in the NFL.”

And if his teammates are to be believed, he really is going to be one of the best in football.

“I didn’t know he’d be able to make such big strides since he was so good last year,” Kevin Kolb said. “But he has. It’s just unreal how much he’s improved. You knew he had the talent, you could see that. But he’s just been unbelievable. He’s unstoppable right now.”

Why not put Curtis in the slot? Wasn't he great in the slot with the Rams? I really don't think it matters a whole lot fantasy wise because the Eagles spread the ball around so much. I do see this offense being very explosive and fast and McNabb should be the biggest beneficiary.

I just read this article from gcobb.com

Thanks to Reuben Frank for getting this up on his Phillyburbs.com blog. DeSean Jackson admitted today that he didn't understand the Maclin selection in April.

“Not taking anything away from Jeremy, but when they made that pick, I really didn’t understand that,” Jackson said after this morning’s practice. “But it is what it is. I’m putting in the work to be that No. 1 receiver.”

After what I saw at Lehigh this past weekend, he's doing it. He's running around through just about everyone on the field. He was pretty darn good last year for a rookie, hauling in 62 balls.

“I’m honestly trying to double that,” Jackson said. “Last year was a good year for me to get my feet wet and get a feel for what the NFL is all about. I went through some ups and downs, some good times and bad times. This year? I can be tons, tons, tons better. … I want to be one of the best wide receivers in the NFL.”

And if his teammates are to be believed, he really is going to be one of the best in football.

“I didn’t know he’d be able to make such big strides since he was so good last year,” Kevin Kolb said. “But he has. It’s just unreal how much he’s improved. You knew he had the talent, you could see that. But he’s just been unbelievable. He’s unstoppable right now.”

Believe it.

I don't think the Maclin pick had anything to do with Jackson, it was a matter of taking the best player off the board (and preempting the Giants who were trying to trade up to get him). I think they were tired of hearing how their WR depth sucks and simply wanted to give McNabb another weapon.

The #1 WR job in Philly is Jackson's to lose.