[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

When is your draft?

Football_Mom

I see lots of post from people who have already drafted. I am curious about this because the leagues I play in we wait until we are closer to the season to have our draft. One league I play in is a family league, with the kids (all the cousins play) free, and we rank our players on Yahoo and do an automated draft. The other league is on Sportsline, all adults, we pay to play and we have a live draft. In both cases we do our draft closer to the actual season.

I don't think I would like to play in a league that drafted this early. There are so many injuries and changes in August that I wonder if the majority of leagues draft this early or if most wait. Our live draft is August 23, Yahoo automated draft is not set yet but will probably be later in August.

When do you all draft?

I see lots of post from people who have already drafted. I am curious about this because the leagues I play in we wait until we are closer to the season to have our draft. One league I play in is a family league, with the kids (all the cousins play) free, and we rank our players on Yahoo and do an automated draft. The other league is on Sportsline, all adults, we pay to play and we have a live draft. In both cases we do our draft closer to the actual season.

I don't think I would like to play in a league that drafted this early. There are so many injuries and changes in August that I wonder if the majority of leagues draft this early or if most wait. Our live draft is August 23, Yahoo automated draft is not set yet but will probably be later in August.

When do you all draft?

Truth is yes injuries do happen every day in camp and in pre season but devastating ones to big name players are rare. It's happend yes, but it's rare. When you draft a little early some guy you are competing with in your league is as likely to sustain an injury to one of his players as you are to one of yours so it's not like anybody has an advantage or disadvantage, just like the regular season. From my experience waiting to draft because you want to check out the pre season games can also be a mistake. What you see in the pre season is rarely what you'll see in the regular season. I think it can cause more confusion than anything else. I draft ''early'' (I've drafted 3 teams as of yesterday and I'll draft one more Aug 14th) because I feel like it actually gives me a little edge. I start preparing in early June and I really hit it hard. I feel like I've put in more time and energy into my preparation than anybody else i'm competing against in a draft room at this time of the year so why give anybody else a chance to catch up through the media and every fantasy online site coming out with article after article daily? I also use to be of the opinion that it's better to wait until late Aug but last year a few things happened that changed my mind. I was able to target Warner late in pretty much every draft on a hunch before the news officially broke that he was the starter, that was one of them. I was also able to target guys I considered sleepers before a ton of other people had either been told by other people or like I said found out through the constant barrage of fantasy football related info' fed to the public daily in various forms. Really it's a personal preference and I guess a good argument can be made either way but early works for me.

Depending on how deep your league drafts, if you draft this early or really any time before the last week or preseason, not only is there some injury risk, but too many depth chart decisions haven't been made, so you can't as accurately handcuff an RB1 or select late round fliers that might have earned a bigger role by the end of preseason. My earliest of four redraft league drafts this season is the last Sat. in August.

Truth is yes injuries do happen every day in camp and in pre season but devastating ones to big name players are rare. It's happend yes, but it's rare. When you draft a little early some guy you are competing with in your league is as likely to sustain an injury to one of his players as you are to one of yours so it's not like anybody has an advantage or disadvantage, just like the regular season. From my experience waiting to draft because you want to check out the pre season games can also be a mistake. What you see in the pre season is rarely what you'll see in the regular season. I think it can cause more confusion than anything else. I draft ''early'' (I've drafted 3 teams as of yesterday and I'll draft one more Aug 14th) because I feel like it actually gives me a little edge. I start preparing in early June and I really hit it hard. I feel like I've put in more time and energy into my preparation than anybody else i'm competing against in a draft room at this time of the year so why give anybody else a chance to catch up through the media and every fantasy online site coming out with article after article daily? I also use to be of the opinion that it's better to wait until late Aug but last year a few things happened that changed my mind. I was able to target Warner late in pretty much every draft on a hunch before the news officially broke that he was the starter, that was one of them. I was also able to target guys I considered sleepers before a ton of other people had either been told by other people or like I said found out through the constant barrage of fantasy football related info' fed to the public daily in various forms. Really it's a personal preference and I guess a good argument can be made either way but early works for me.

+1

The earlier, the better for me. Its not my fault alot of owners hybernate during the off-season. Being in ultra competitive dynasty leagues keeps you on your toes. There is NO off-season in Dynasty so you are up on all the news, rookies and prospects months before the majority.

I like to have drafts after all the preseason games are done. One year we had a draft early and a teams #1 pick went down with a season ending injury , I can't remember who it was , but it messed up his fantasy season. This year one league I'm in the draft is on Aug. 29th and the other draft I'm in is on the 5th of Sept.

+1

The earlier, the better for me. Its not my fault alot of owners hybernate during the off-season. Being in ultra competitive dynasty leagues keeps you on your toes. There is NO off-season in Dynasty so you are up on all the news, rookies and prospects months before the majority.

We did Cheating Bastages(startup dynasty) in January 06 and before any rankings came out. Is that early enough?

In my two major leagues, we're dumping the weekend thing for the first time ever.

I'm doing one online one on Monday August 31st, and in my home town league we're doing it on a night of Friday August 28th. The owners are all for it because it frees up the weekend.

My Dynasty league drafts rookies and auctions FA players not on anyone's teams on Aug 30th

I have a 12 man TD only league that I have run since 1990 and it always has a draft 2 weeks before the season starts (Aug 29th this year)

I have a 10 man work league that I have ran since 1994 and we always draft 1 week before the season (Labor day Sept 7th this year)

Those are for my 3 local leagues I run myself but as far as online leagues I could draft anywhere from End of July to 1 day before the season starts depending on the league and how many teams I had.

This year I am cutting down on my number of teams since the site I played at went bankrupt and I will have to deversify into the WCOFF, NFFC, FFTOC and FFOC. Those drafts can be anytime depending on events.

The Main events for the WCOFF and NFFC are right before the season though sat's can be had anytime.

My Dynasty league drafts rookies and auctions FA players not on anyone's teams on Aug 30th

I have a 12 man TD only league that I have run since 1990 and it always has a draft 2 weeks before the season starts (Aug 29th this year)

I have a 10 man work league that I have ran since 1994 and we always draft 1 week before the season (Labor day Sept 7th this year)

Those are for my 3 local leagues I run myself but as far as online leagues I could draft anywhere from End of July to 1 day before the season starts depending on the league and how many teams I had.

This year I am cutting down on my number of teams

Yeah, that's quite a drop from the 150 leagues you played in last year.

for 10 years now we have scheduled it for the same night as the NASCAR Bristol race......

Most of the owners are huge NASCAR fans. I hope to distract them with all the wrecks every year.

Hey, any advantage you can get, take it. :wacko::D